The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 12:47 AM

fishfinder is on a distinguished road
Default I Think I got it.

I took a casting class two weeks ago. Not much help except to wave the rod between 11 and 2. Last Monday my rod and reel arrived and since then I have spent 30 minutes a day waving the thing around trying to make a cast. Yesterday, after calling my brother-in-law in Michigan, I think I got it. Now when I cast the line floats out to the end and settles in the grass (most of the time). Now all I need is years of practice to make it go where I want. Of course I am 69+ so I probably don't have years to perfect it. But now I can load up the jeep and head to the water.

There is no joy like the joy of making a respectable cast with the fly outfit.

Mike
Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: I Think I got it.

Way to go Mike,

Learning at our age adds another thing to over come. If you are like me, my coordination is not like it was when I was younger. That 30 minutes a day will pay big dividends on the water. If I was you I would definitely invest in a casting video. It will help you sort out your casting problems as you go and it is always there if you develop a bad habit later. A video will show you how to make other cast that may be useful in your fishing.

As you have discovered casting is a big part of the enjoyment of fly fishing. It is always a thrill to make just the right cast and get a hook-up. Where are you located. Loading up the jeep sounds like you are out west.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 AM

fishfinder is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I have one DVD from Cabelas on Fly Fishing. It covers everything to get started. I am located in Western Washington near Bremerton. (Big Navy Town) We don't have any trout streams per say but we have quite a few lakes where trout are placed in the spring. In addition this is a big salmon and steelhead area. Once I get the little 5wt rod figured out I will probably invest in steelhead gear. I have fished succussfully for steelhead using baitcasting equipment. I used to have a nice boat for fishing in Puget Sound for salmon but sold it a few years ago. Now my fishing is pretty much confined to local lakes.

Mike
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mike,

I know where Bremerton is located. I moved to Battle Ground, Wa when I left Alaska. You should be able to find some coastal rivers to fish close by. Too bad you have to fish for those old Steelhead.