The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM

blackroze is on a distinguished road
Default Fly cast without flies is great, but...

When I cast with flies I get no distance.

I am fishing a tfo bvk 8wt 9ft with WF8F line. I tied on a 2x tippet, add a size 4 AO, add about 16" of line to that and drop a size 6 prince. I also use a small bubble indicator.

I am having a terrible time casting any distance. When I take off the flies/bubble, I can shoot 80-100ft no problem. Can anyone help me to figure out why, when I add the flies/bobber, I can only shoot about 30ft, or get tangled up. Seems like there is a weight issue.. thanks a ton!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly cast without flies is great, but...

I'm pretty sure the tangle is from a tailing loop, which is quite common when you shock the rod trying to get max distance. Try to be smmmooooth when you accelerate the rod tip.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually measured how far? There is a difference in distance between your with and without flies of 50' to 70'. I'm not sure how big your bubble is, but that fly should not make the slightest difference. Your rod is an 8wt so you should be able to cast much much bigger flies. Is the fly/bobber hitting the running line on the final shoot so that the end of the mess is 30' and still getting the 80' to 100' of line out of the rod? Without a better idea of what's happening it would be hard to say. My best advice would be video tape yourself casting and look at it. More than likely you would be able to see the problem. If you still can't see the problem, post the video and someone here will be able to.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Well... When I am casting without the extra, I watch my cast, and lay down straight on soft. When I tie up, I cast and it feels all jerky. I am unable to false cast because it feels like the weight pulls the line to the water on anything over 30ish feet. So what I have been doing is shooting at about 10-15 feet and watching the line kerplunk into the water. If I try to false cast longer than 15' or so, the line will drop into the water behind causing un-necessary slack which then ends up being one heck of a mess... including a sharp pain in the backside, if you know what I mean...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

dont muscle the rod it should be effortless let the rod do the work and you have a beautiful rod doing that work and i know what you mean i can false cast 80 feet of line without a fly so much easier than with
Old 12-27-2011, 10:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

By bubble indicator, do mean a thingamabobber?

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroze View Post
I cast and it feels all jerky. ...
This sounds like a timing problem. Are you able to watch your backcast, and do you?

Quote:
I am unable to false cast because it feels like the weight pulls the line to the water on anything over 30ish feet. So what I have been doing is shooting at about 10-15 feet and watching the line kerplunk into the water....
Steve Rajeff couldn't do a 100' cast shooting at about 10-15 feet. This is part of the problem. You need to carry a lot more line before you shoot.

Quote:
I try to false cast longer than 15' or so, the line will drop into the water behind causing un-necessary slack which then ends up being one heck of a mess... including a sharp pain in the backside, if you know what I mean.......
This definetely sounds like a timing problem and a line speed problem. Again I have to ask have you ever measured those "I can shoot 80-100ft no problem" casts before? The reason I ask is because it seems like if you can, the previous problems are really unexplainable.

Two last questions, do you double haul? What exactly do you have for a line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
By bubble indicator, do mean a thingamabobber?
I want to know that one to. A Prince Nymph is not going to make a difference so the bobber must be knocking off 50' or better from your cast. What kind of bobber are you talking about here?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I think the bubble indicator is part of the problem.

Randy
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If it's one of these than it is indeed the problem:
A-Just-A-Bubble Floats, Floats & Stops, Terminal Tackle, Fishing : Cabela's
Old 12-28-2011, 07:46 PM

The indicator is a thingamabobber. I did not walk it off distance wise, but my back yard measurments are 60x140 roughly, and when I cast without any weight (no flies, no bobber, only leader) I am able to cast fine, but once I add the flies/bobber I am all over the place. The line is a RIO Steelhead Salmon WF8F. The pole is a 9' 8wt TFO BVK. The real is a GLoomis Venture. The flies I am using are a #4 Agent Orange, and 14" of tippet to a #6 Prince. Thanks again!