The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Beginner... Have some questions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/228249-beginner-have-some-questions.html)

kbass 01-15-2012 02:19 PM

Beginner... Have some questions

I have just learned that I need to not bend my wrist and use my forearm. I have noticed that I am getting small knots in the tippet. Does this mean something? Also I feel that my back cast is not very good, whenever I just back cast and let it fall, it does not go very far and coils up. Not sure if this means something as well.

I'm sure that I am doing multiple things poorly, but does anybody have basic suggestions to get me going. I have been trying to watch some youtube videos....

Rip Tide 01-15-2012 02:29 PM

Re: Beginner... Have some questions

I can tell you from just what you've written that you're moving your rod tip in an arc rather than in a straight plain (push-pull)
The line will go in the direction that you move the rod tip.
If the rod tip goes straight, so does the line. If you're swinging your arm in an arc, the line's going nowhere but down in continuation of the arc

grassonfly 01-15-2012 03:45 PM

make sure you maintain line tension kbass it doesnt say on your profile what part of the country you are from where do you hail from?

Jackster 01-15-2012 04:04 PM

Most likely the little knots are what we affectionately call wind knots. Even with no wind you can get them though wind is a good excuse for having them.
They are usually caused by poor application of power, mostly, too much power too early in the stroke. Slowly accelerate to a good stop. Accelerating too early causes the rod tip to dip and puts a nice, little half hitch in the leader.
Also, you might try using the least amount of power needed to get the job done.

The pile behind you most likely is cause by dropping the rod too low on the back cast. Other popular causes are not enough power, no firm stop or, as Rip Tide said, too much arc in your cast which causes the line to go on a big, wide loop instead of an efficient straight line path.

kbass 01-15-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grassonfly (Post 379684)
make sure you maintain line tension kbass it doesnt say on your profile what part of the country you are from where do you hail from?

Originally from Texas but work has taken me to Tulsa OK.

Thanks for the tips.. Any suggestions to help practice?

wannafish 01-15-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbass (Post 379736)
Originally from Texas but work has taken me to Tulsa OK.

Thanks for the tips.. Any suggestions to help practice?

Hi, I found Mel Krieger's videos excellent for learning; you could start with this one to make sure you are practicing the right moves:

theboz 01-17-2012 05:07 AM

Hold a book between your upper casting arm and side of your body
while casting. Should eliminate the arc.

Jackster 01-17-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 380585)
Hold a book between your upper casting arm and side of your body
while casting. Should eliminate the arc.

I don't see how that would eliminate the arc unless he rocked his whole upper body. Wouldn't holding the upper arm static just make his elbow the pivot point with his rod hand arcing around that pivot point?

silver creek 01-17-2012 09:59 AM

I agree Jackster.

It actually forces an arc. A straight rod (the forearm) rotating about a pivot point (the elbow fixed to the book) circumscribes and arc. This was a method for teaching casting with more flexible bamboo rods. The arc countered the bamboo fly rod shortening to form a rod tip SLP.

Modern casting technique frees the arm which allows the caster to use whatever casting stroke is appropriate for the rod and the casting distance. Unfortunately, it also allows a beginner to use the arm like a windshield wiper to flop the line back and forth. This may be the cause of the poor backcast.

When kbass says he does not to bend the arm but uses the forearm, it may be the push-pull technique of pushing and pulling (extending and contracting) the forearm like a piston. This can cause a tailing loop because it may not adequately compensate for the rod shortening during the casting stroke.

We need a video.

Guest1 01-17-2012 12:35 PM

I can't remember who said it, But I like the "pretend your elbow is sliding along a shelf" thing.