The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road
Default Properly lifting the line off the water

Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Properly lifting the line off the water

Good video. Well done.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

NOT ripping line off the water is very important, for the efficiency of the cast but also to keep from scaring every fish in the area with the disturbance.

I like to use a roll cast pick-up. Raise your rod tip up slowly, then roll to pick the line up off the water. It is probably the least disruptive method.

I do it slower than this guy, but the principle is the same.

oarfish likes this.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Another good video. I generally strip my line all the way in so it's not a real factor for me most of the time. That and I use a spey rod most of the time. I get fish all the time right when my leader gets to the tip of the rod. But that's the style for here. In fact it happens enough here I got it on video.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I always use that quiet pickup when I'm not using the roll cast pick up. I use the roll cast pick up to get sinking lines to the surface and when nymphing up stream. I would give it a 70-30% ratio. 70% of the time it's the quiet pick up. When I teach that pick up I usually tell the students to lift all but the fly out of the water if they can. It sure does lessen the disturbance on the water.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Same with me, Jackster, on the roll cast - sink tips and when in a moving boat to change directions more easily. With the regular pickup/lift off, I usually jiggle the rod as I llift - especially with big poppers. Not only does it seem to free the line easier and prevent poppers from submarining, it also frequently results in a strike.