The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM

cliftz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Learning the Spey Cast?

check this:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QhDavr24xA
the later half of it, he's working a spey rod. and this
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AuOx9WGKj0
I liked this
because of the close-up of the line and his hands at the reel.
(jeez, I could probally buy a new car with what that reel costs! )
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove View Post
Cliff, I'll take the line and THANKS!! 200 south central, Idabel, Ok 74745. I have been doing better on Lost creek, lets fish.ML

What the heck are you doing with a spey rod in ok?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Not to mention a guy in TX having a line for one.

Steely, there's a section of river real close to his house that is fed by a tailrace, full of big trout, quite wide, and has a very rugged bottom. That said, a 9/10/11wt spey rod is definitely overkill for most of those trout.

For the Lake Texoma tailrace (about 1.5 hrs from mike), a steelhead rod is a fine choice. Big Stripers in there and a 10 wt will throw the flies needed to attract them better than a 7 for sure.

Mike, how's that thing workin for ya, anyway?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

How far can a spey be casted compared to a reguar 9' rod of the same wt. the extra rod length would make it nice for the surf. I average 75' with a 9wt in light winds.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 AM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
How far can a spey be casted compared to a reguar 9' rod of the same wt. the extra rod length would make it nice for the surf. I average 75' with a 9wt in light winds.
Hi, well a 9 foot can be cast about 120 feet by advanced casters. Advanced casters at the spey o Rama in San Francisco cast a 15 foot spey rod about
120 -160 feet
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

if your getting a 2 hander for the surf, look for one that will cast overhand better than a spey cast...generally they'll be stiffer..on the beach i can reach out 150 ft. with my 14' 10wt. i hold 60 to 70 feet in the air then let er rip..using long shooting heads and braided mono running lines..you cant spey cast on water that doesnt run..an inlet would be alright though with a good current..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The one at the bottom of this page is exactly like what sandfly is describing- Temple Fork Outfitters TiCr Series Fly Rods That thing has got to be a Howitzer. (not just a cannon, a Howitzer)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 PM

stan is on a distinguished road
Re: Learning the Spey Cast?

Well I finally did it. I bought an experienced St. Croix IFI4010 14' 9/10wt. the shop where I got it fixed me up with a Teeny Spey Salmon Float 39 Gram line. Knowing little about the Spey world I had to trust him.

Now are there any internet based free videos on Spey casting?

Thanks,

Stan
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 PM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

For those of you who've expressed curiosity about getting into spey casting, let me give some words of warning and encouragement:

Spey casting and fishing is the most fascinating aspect of fly fishing I've discovered in 46 years at the sport. I've been spey casting about 13 years. Spey casting is not a sport for loners; it needs a social network of other spey anglers for instruction, encouragement, trying and trading of equipment. (I'm fortunate to live in the coastal Pacific Northwest, which is world Spey Central.) If you just buy a spey rod and a line which "matches" its stated line rating, you'll be selling the rod on eBay in a year or two, probably without ever having made a decent spey cast.

For one thing, spey rods are very line-sensitive. Spey line ratings have very little to do with the long-established AFTMA line ratings for single-hand rods. We're still evolving into standardized ratings for spey lines. Without a clue and some luck, you could spend $hundreds on different fly lines.

For another thing, spey rods run from 10-12-foot switch rods (just mini-spey rods) to cannons of 16, 17 feet and beyond. Very different spey lines are appropriate for each, and for the 13-14-foot rods that are currently most popular. Different anglers prefer faster or slower spey rods; fast action rods that zip beautiful tight loops in floating lines or long shooting heads in overhead casts over salt water (which isn't really spey fishing - not that there's anything wrong with that, you understand), or progressive action rods with strong tips to handle sinking tips, while flexing most of the way to the handle, then releasing great power in a controlled explosion. Spey lines run from short, amazingly thick Skagit bellies that will lift a heavy sink tip and flies the size of a prairie dog, to lines with tapered belly sections of 80 to 100 feet or more, and lines of many belly lengths in between.

There are a half dozen or so spey casts, which bring the fly back to the water near you in different ways, then make the universal D-loop backcast followed by a single forward stroke. You'll need to learn most of them, and to do them with either hand on top. You can do it, but absolutely not without expert coaching, any more than you could learn golf or karate on your own. Fortunately, there are close to a dozen good learning tapes and DVDs on the market. There are frequent gatherings of spey anglers, teachers, and merchants, especially here, but less frequently in other, unlikely places. And if I may mention the competition to this fine forum, there's the Spey Pages, an amazing website and forum, peopled by some of the most accomplished and information-generous spey casters in the world. Search its Archives and you can learn everything that's ever been thought or said about spey casting. Then, there are a few spey specialty fly shops run by very helpful and knowledgeable proprietors.

If you work through this maze of assisted learning, before long you, too can be standing knee-deep (no need to wade deeper, not with a spey rod) in a broad river making repetitive long casts, each one of which will seem like a small miracle. And you will feel like a spey fishing wizzard, whether you hook anything or not.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mac, we welcome hands on info and yours is dead on.