The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 AM

Guy M is on a distinguished road
Default Learning the Spey Cast?

I've been fly fishing for about 12 years now, and although I don't do anything fancy, I generally cast well enough to get fish.

Have been curious for some time now though about spey rods and the spey cast. Seems to me that it would be a good way to go for big rivers...

Anyone here familiar with spey rods and using them? I could sure use some info.

Thanks, Guy
Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Learning the Spey Cast?

Hi Guy,

You live in a great place to learn Spey casting and to use it. Contact Kaufmann's in Tigard and they can set you up with gear and lessons. They offer Spey casting lessons on the Deschutes river. I think the price is right for on the river lessons. If nothing else get the DVD. I deleted the cost, dates and contact number so this is not an add.

Deschutes River Spey School

Instructors for 2007 are Scott O'Donnell and Mike McCune, featured in the Rio DVD, Modern Spey Casting. Their casting techniques have evolved from years of guiding and angling for steelhead. Their expertise has led to the development of Skagit lines, numerous casts, and effective fly patterns.
Location: a riverside camp along the banks of Oregon's Famed Deschutes River. All you need to bring is your sleeping bag and tackle. All meals, instruction, and tents included. Classes are two days and one night.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

I bought me a temple fork 9wt 14' spey rod last year used my galvan rush 8 and put a floating spey line on. I bought a wonderful video that had beautiful casting by an english guy and took it to the river.. I formed the D, Kissed the water and tucked it to the heart and got about 50 feet..... Not so pretty but I am game...If some body comes to the LMFR in Mccurtain county I will put you on some trout if you can help me get 9O feet out of the rod.. ML
Old 08-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I got to meet Dec Hogan the other night for a SPEY demo. It was awesome. I too am looking at Spey fishing. Got the just of down, but definitely something that takes loads of practice.
Netflix has a GREAT learn to DVD. Has a lot of real good info.
Also, ECHO has some spey rods and hopefully the Dec Hogan signature series real soon. I was casting a 13 1/2 foot 4wt. It was a blast however I will be looking at buying a 6wt.
Line is a very important thing. Dec said he had a client go out and buy a 6/7 wt spey rod and of course the matching spey line. It turns out that the GRAIN of the line was not right and that he should have gone with a 7/8 line.
I guess that the GRAIN is the key. The new Echo's have the Grain recommended on the rod instead of the line weight.

Stay in touch on this, I want to hear how it is going for you.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Mike, matching up the grain of the line to the rod could be something thats giving you trouble as well. Even a normal 10wt double taper line isn't nearly enough to load that 14' beast you bought. Come to think of it, I think I've got a line that would work for it if you're interested. I bought it for an Oregon trip years back, and never even spooled it up. Its not new, and bound to be a bit coily, but i'll give you the durn thing.

(just for the record, i'm not gonna be able to start giving things out to all members, but Mike volunteered his time to help a tourney I enjoy, so its a bit diff't)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Oh no, lets all get in line for free stuff from Cliff.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff like Mikie best! Naw it's just that Mike is a Love, he, he, he.
Gottta love LOVE.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

Cliff, I'll take the line and THANKS!! 200 south central, Idabel, Ok 74745. I have been doing better on Lost creek, lets fish.ML
Old 08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Uh oh, now i gotta find the thing. Furreal, gonna take a little while Mike.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Without even trying, I followed through on my warning. But I have now found the thing and its on the way.