The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 02:43 PM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Length Question

Besides the extra 6" how would a 9' 6"rod react differently from a 9' rod? Would it cast better, shot line better,be more accurately on target with my cast. Or do just some people like longer rods.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod Length Question

This is one better left to those schooled in the physics of taper / load / energy transfer type equations but; I used to fish with a 9'6" Greys Platinum X 7 weight and it was better than my 9' 7. I can't say just how but it was. If the conditions where you fish do not limit the rod length I would say use the longest rod you can get.

We went fishing at the mouth of a creek on Resurrection Bay last week for chums and I used a 13' eight weight rod. I can tell you that when overhand casting in the surf it made a 90' cast so easy I wish I had been doing this for years. It all comes down to conditions and your ability at handling a long rod. The long ones will take some of the work out of your casting once you have the hang of it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;