The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: casting sinking lines

smish, sinking and sink tip lines are used generally for streamers in moving water and for streamers and nymphs in still water.

You're generally right about Nymph lines out there. They're set up similarly to bassbug lines on the front end, but tend to have a long belly to help with mending. For the latter reason, they alos often take up more space on a reel than the avg WFF line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM

cadhopper is on a distinguished road

For fishing streamers 4-6 feet deep for bass would you guys use a sinking line or sinking tip line? When I purchased my 8 wt rod from Orvis last weekend I had WF8F put on the reel and and intermediate sinking line put on a spare spool so I could hopefully learn to fish flies a little deeper when the bass get shy. I choose what the Orvis chart showed so I hope I didn't make a $60 dollar mistake. Thanks and this forum is awesome.

Chuck
Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadhopper View Post
For fishing streamers 4-6 feet deep for bass would you guys use a sinking line or sinking tip line? When I purchased my 8 wt rod from Orvis last weekend I had WF8F put on the reel and and intermediate sinking line put on a spare spool so I could hopefully learn to fish flies a little deeper when the bass get shy. I choose what the Orvis chart showed so I hope I didn't make a $60 dollar mistake. Thanks and this forum is awesome.

Chuck

First of let me say I don't fish for bass in rivers, I am sure there some rivers around for them but none I have fished. I do however fish for them on Stillwater.
Personally, I prefer full sink as to sink tip, BECAUSE I fish both (rivers and stillwater)
I go to Jordanell here with intermediate line and a woolly or similar and cast into the weed beds or the trees and have great luck. Sometimes with Intermediate you have to count down to find the ZONE, but all sinking line will eventually get there.
Did you get the Clear Intermediate, The Buckskin or the Steelhead Light Blue?
I have had all three at one time or another. I had some of the early CLEAR and it looked like someone took a razorblade to it about 30 feet in. About ever 5' there was another slash. I JUST sent it back because I feel it should have held up better and I just wanted them to SEE what it was doing. Friday I received a brand new line, How cool is that. And it is the new Gen. 3 so we will see how it holds up.

Some of these guys here are HARD CORE BASS MEN so I want to see what they say.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I did get the Gen 3 clear intermediate line so hopefully I won't have any problems. I've had good luck using Zoom plastic baits on a bait caster around the downed trees and weed bed edges on this pond but not on top water flies and poppers for bass so I think I need to get the flies deeper. I'm hoping streamers and crawfish flies will work with sinking line to keep the flies close to the trees and weed line edges and in front of their noses to entice a strike.

I've also had a lot of luck tossing plastic frogs in the open holes amongst the broad leaf pond weed beds on the bait caster but I have to use a heavy shock leader because of the pickerel. I bought the steel 6" leaders for the 8 wt fly rod and floating line so hopefully that will keep me from losing the new frog flies I just bought. Those buggers have some really nasty teeth and are slippery as eels but they strike like a missile and are a nice fight.

The nice thing about this pond is if all else fails I can pull out the 4 wt fly rod and have a ton of fun with the large bluegill. If they grew to the size of bass I would hate to think of how hard they would fight.

I can't wait for the water to start warming up so I can pull the cover off the kayak and get back on the water. Cabin fever has taken over.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well, at least you know if you DO have any problem with the line Orvis is good for it.
You going to try for those toothy guys on a fly and if so are you going to use a heavy mono or steel braided tippet?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmish View Post
Are sink tip lines usually used on streams/rivers for nymphing or using streamers? Typically at what point do people stop using weights on the leader/tippet and move to a sink type line?

I recently learned what a "nymph" line is, maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong. A nymph line is a floating line that is bigger (diameter? stiffness? weight?) at the tip, which makes the line nicer for turning over heavier nymph and streamer flies when compared to the standard WF line.

cheers
Doug
Hi Doug,

Your target fish and what you are fishing with has a lot to do with your selection of weights or sink tip line. Most nymph fishers use a floating line with weighted nymphs and split shot according to how fast a river is. If you are fishing streamers and other wet flies in a river, I would prefer a sink tip line. I like the sink tip because you have less line under water and it is easier to pick up for a cast. You can also mend line with a sink tip but you can't with a full sinking line very well. With a sink tip and a weighted fly you can cover most river conditions. I think for lake fishing a full sinking line would be a good choice.

You are right about the nymph line. If you study the two diagrams below you can see the difference in a general purpose fly line and a nymph line. The Rio Gold is a new design for RIO and uses a longer rear taper. So the difference is not as dramatic as it would be with some other floating trout lines. The RIO Nymph line will be great at mending line and roll casting due to its long body and short head.

RIO Gold General Purpose
Click the image to open in full size.

RIO Nymph line
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadhopper View Post
For fishing streamers 4-6 feet deep for bass would you guys use a sinking line or sinking tip line? ...Chuck
Well Chuck, for me the answer is no. I fish a lot of bass in lakes, and I use a floating line, 9 foot leader, and slightly weighted streamers (cone-head wooly buggers or clouser minnows) for bass in 4 to 6 feet of water. After the cast I let the streamer slowly sink, then strip it a couple times. On the strip the fly rises slightly; when I pause, it sinks again. The bass usually hit when it's sinking.

For a dynamite approach, I use a fast sinking (Type 6) sink tip line with a four foot leader, and a bouyant (floating) bug, such as a Dahlberg Diver or Sneaky Pete. After I let the tip sink, I strip it a couuple times. Now the heavy line makes the fly dart to the bottom when I strip it. On the pause, it slowly rises, much like a dying fish will rise towards the surface. If a bass doesn't smash it on the rise, it will suspend about 3 feet off the bottom. Let it sit a bit at that depth till the bass can't stand it any more!

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Well, at least you know if you DO have any problem with the line Orvis is good for it.
You going to try for those toothy guys on a fly and if so are you going to use a heavy mono or steel braided tippet?
I bought 6" steel leaders from the Orvis store for the fly rod. On the bait caster I use a 8" fluorocarbon 30lb leader and it holds up good.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeway View Post
Well Chuck, for me the answer is no. I fish a lot of bass in lakes, and I use a floating line, 9 foot leader, and slightly weighted streamers (cone-head wooly buggers or clouser minnows) for bass in 4 to 6 feet of water. After the cast I let the streamer slowly sink, then strip it a couple times. On the strip the fly rises slightly; when I pause, it sinks again. The bass usually hit when it's sinking.

For a dynamite approach, I use a fast sinking (Type 6) sink tip line with a four foot leader, and a bouyant (floating) bug, such as a Dahlberg Diver or Sneaky Pete. After I let the tip sink, I strip it a couuple times. Now the heavy line makes the fly dart to the bottom when I strip it. On the pause, it slowly rises, much like a dying fish will rise towards the surface. If a bass doesn't smash it on the rise, it will suspend about 3 feet off the bottom. Let it sit a bit at that depth till the bass can't stand it any more!
Thanks for the info, I have both the flies your talking about using with the sinking line so I will start practicing with them on the sinking line.