The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: "Bounce" in my fly rod

Calling the casting instrument a "pole" offends it and it won't want to work with you after that point.

Just kidding, lemme see if I can offer some help. Frank's advice about getting all of the slack out of the line, the fly moving, and the rod tip by the water is right on, but here's one more hint: Try to lift the line off the water to the point where the leader connects before beginning your backward cast. This will make surface tension less of a factor and prevent over-loading as you begin the rear-ward stroke.

Next, try easing up you grip at the end of your forward and rearward stroke. Even without a line on the rod, if you swing forward, and maintain a tight grip while you do the hard stop, the rod will continue to bounce and vibrate. Easing up your grip slightly right as you stop the power stroke should reduce that greatly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 PM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

Hi Randy,

Well, I'm almost always casting a heavy fly, and if I don't get a bounce my line collapses. I'll have to play around with the speed, sounds like it might help out a bit for me. I've tried casting with more line unrolled and it felt like I was pulling against an anchor after a second of a really fast forward cast and almost slingshoting the line forward . . . with the result of it hitting the water hard enough to scare away even the most unconcerned fish.

When I wait until my line seems to be totally straightened out without any drift when I go to make my forward cast my rod (or maybe my wrist) just can't seem to move the heavy fly forward quick enough.

I feel pretty good about my timing, but I've never really paid attention to speed related to line length. I normally just drift with more line out so it has time to straighten out and load the rod more . . . I'll have to pay more attention to that one and see what happens.

--W
Old 01-05-2008, 03:32 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Next, try easing up you grip at the end of your forward and rearward stroke. Even without a line on the rod, if you swing forward, and maintain a tight grip while you do the hard stop, the rod will continue to bounce and vibrate. Easing up your grip slightly right as you stop the power stroke should reduce that greatly.

yup---that causes a lot of rod bounce at the end of your backcast stroke---after the rod has been stopped abrutly at the end of the stroke--relax your hand and that should damp the bouncing (you can add any drifting backward if you like at this point)--your hand wont get tired as easily either----the tip bounce will also telegraph down your line and show up as s-curves in your backcast loop

in dry fry fishing, you can use that to your advantage and stop abruptly and aim your cast a bit above the water and when it bounces back, you can gain a bit of extra slack for a drag float out of your fly---especially downstream

when i get tired i have a tendancy to get a corkscrew in my backcast from not bringing my hand back in a straight line----have someone watch you from behind and see if your hand path ,rod tip path and loop stack are in the same plane
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 PM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
You could try using the least amount of power needed to get the cast done. It almost sounds like you're overpowering the rod yet coming up with neat ways to mask it, like that backward drift.
I was in an casting instructors class at an FFF conclave this summer and the subject of the bounce, or wave in the line came up. The general consensus by the instructors was to not worry about it unless it's extreme because that wave will be pulled out by the line.
Better than video most times, hunt down a certified casting instructor in your area. An hour or two spent with a good instructor gets you real-time evaluation and corrective measures for your cast.

ps... I just did a search for certified casting instructors in Alaska. It looks like there are none! Study, practice and be the first!
Doesnt mean he is out of luck. Usually if their is a local fly shop their will be a fly casting instructor. And their could be hundreds of people who have passed their CI and live in Alaska, seeing zero listed just means their arent any certified instructors in alaska WHO HAS PAID THEIR FFF DUES

I assume the OP is in a area with a lot of guides? Guides, while not necessarily having a CI usually do have to be a decent casting instructor for when they get the newbie fly fisherman.

PS: how much was the casting instructors class? It must of been preety hefty in price. A guy has one in Redding and it is like $300 -$400 for
2 days

PPS: I agree with the others, if you have a great smooth cast, and as a excercise keep on increasing power till you use way too much power, you will find that at the end (the stop) your rod will vibrate
Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Looking for an instructor that is FFF certified almost assures they have reached certain standards before claiming to be instructors. Standards not only in being able to cast but standards in being able to teach and explain what is going on in the cast as well as having the ability to duplicate and correct faults in the cast. It's a darn good starting point for those looking to improve their game.
I know a guide who claimed to be a casting instructor. His impressive business card even said he was. He went to get certified, after years of teaching others how to cast and couldn't tighten his loop or keep his back cast off the ground, this despite being given hints by the master instructors testing him! I for one am glad he couldn't just buy his way into getting certified.
I've done lessons for fly shops and guides who want their clients to do nothing more than be able to get exactly 30' of line out with some regularity.

As a CCI, I know I worked, practiced and studied hard to get there and I also know it doesn't stop by just getting the certification. The FFF has all sorts of classes available to continue learning and a quarterly newsletter explaining new terms and offereing many different teaching techniques and hints.
Aside from FFF classes many of us take classes when available (I just signed up for a Mark Sedotti class on distance casting) or just get together at times and pick apart each others techniques.

As for the class mentioned earlier, it was at an FFF conclave and was for CCI's. It was held by master instructors and some of the board of governors for the casting branch of the FFF. Two of the instructors of note were Bruce Richards and Mac Brown.
The cost was around $30.00 and the class lasted an entire day.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 PM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Looking for an instructor that is FFF certified almost assures they have reached certain standards before claiming to be instructors. Standards not only in being able to cast but standards in being able to teach and explain what is going on in the cast as well as having the ability to duplicate and correct faults in the cast. It's a darn good starting point for those looking to improve their game.
I know a guide who claimed to be a casting instructor. His impressive business card even said he was. He went to get certified, after years of teaching others how to cast and couldn't tighten his loop or keep his back cast off the ground, this despite being given hints by the master instructors testing him! I for one am glad he couldn't just buy his way into getting certified.
I've done lessons for fly shops and guides who want their clients to do nothing more than be able to get exactly 30' of line out with some regularity.

As a CCI, I know I worked, practiced and studied hard to get there and I also know it doesn't stop by just getting the certification. The FFF has all sorts of classes available to continue learning and a quarterly newsletter explaining new terms and offereing many different teaching techniques and hints.
Aside from FFF classes many of us take classes when available (I just signed up for a Mark Sedotti class on distance casting) or just get together at times and pick apart each others techniques.

As for the class mentioned earlier, it was at an FFF conclave and was for CCI's. It was held by master instructors and some of the board of governors for the casting branch of the FFF. Two of the instructors of note were Bruce Richards and Mac Brown.
The cost was around $30.00 and the class lasted an entire day.
Funny, I cant even get a hour with a CCI where I live for $30. A 2 day class on becoming a CCI is $400.

Even Funnier, Bruce ALLMIGHTY HIMSELF has emailed me that it is expected that someone doing the CCI test have at least two year of teaching experience

*I* did not think it was ethical to give someone a lesson even for free if I did not have a CCI

I can cast 75 feet, do everything on the CCI test except cast a tailing loop on demand, and only want to give free casting clinics with only a paid lesson here and there to pay for me to be listed as a CCI.

Apparently the cost of living in the state of Jefferson is 10 times the amount it is where you live
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Try studying everything you can from the casting area of the FFF website and putting it all to use with lots of practice then take the CCI exam when you feel comfortable with it. It didn't cost me a dime to study and practice for the exam. Though I never took a course on how to pass it I did take every advantage of learning everything I could about it from books, magazines, videos and picking the brains of some very good casters.

I can almost see Bruce's point too. What the sense of having an instructors license if there's doubt you can instruct?

As for charging for lessons, most times I don't such as when giving a lesson if they join our FFF club, if it's kids involved, an open house and things along those lines.
If I'm going too far out-of-pocket, like doing a two day class out of town on becoming certified instructor sure I'll charge. It's that or sleep in the dog house when I get home.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 AM

Been a while since I looked at this thread, I'm glad it got resurrected. While the thread is now somewhat OT, going back over the posts after another year fishing has again given me some more ideas (and a lot more insight) on improving my casting. Hoping to do some winter fishing here this week if everything hasn't totally frozen over so I'll have to play around again and experiment. Guess the "down" season is good for that.

--W
Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM

Thought I'd put an update in . . .

Got a couple of nice Sage rods now and have been playing with my casting a little. Using the same style I've been for casting with the new Sage's I'm getting some great line speed and able to fairly easily get all the casting line out and a good portion of the the thinner running line shot out now. I've been watching some video of casting and my style seems to resemble Rajeef's (Did I spell that right) style, so maybe there is some hope for my casting yet.

Out a couple of days ago in some pretty heavy wind from my back with my new #6 I was able to easily straighten out my backcast and get out at least 60' of line. With the Lamiglass #8 I could only hope for about 20' in those conditions. Bounce is totally gone with the new rods, but if I pick up my Lamiglass I still get it. I can make it happen with the Sage's if I really want to, but I'm not quite sure how. I just try to make the line snake out and it does . . .

--W
Old 05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wfosborn,

Glad to see an update. It sounds like you have things under control. What Model Sage rods did you get? I hope you have a good season this year.

Frank