The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default casting a 5wt?

I am currently acustomed to casting my larger weight rods (7-9wt) is there a big difference between a 5wt and a 7wt? will I need to completely adjust my casting stroke to accomodate for the weight difference?

HELP!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: casting a 5wt?

Hi tbrillinger223,

How goes the Snook fishing. Did you ever get out again?

Are you going to be fishing Saltwater or are you doing some trout fishing? I am going to assume you are trout fishing. You will find that your normal casting stroke will do just fine just throttle back a bit. You won't have to be doing a lot of double hauls like you are use to for saltwater. Downsize your tippets and have at it. You will have a lot of line mending and line control that you don't have to worry about with saltwater.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

As usual Frank has nailed it pretty well. My experience (which doesn't include salt water but just fresh water trout/salmon river/stream/lake wading/tubing) with my vintage 7'7" Scientific Anglers System 5 fiberglass, my Sage 8'9" 5-wt. SP and my Sage 10' 7-wt. XP, as well as a borrowed 8-wt. in Alaska for salmon, has been that the same style works with all of them. The major difference to me is not so much in line weights but in the action of the particular rod, from my slow S.A. fiberglass to the medium flex of the Sage SP to the fast Sage XP. I guess I would add that in windy conditions (no stranger to you on saltwater, I am sure), the 5-weight will be more difficult to project out than the heavier rods you are used to using.

FWIW,
Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

All above advice is right on, but I'll add a trick/short-cut that may help. Try casting with your index finger paralell to the rod, instead of curled around it and part of the gripping force. You won't be able to cast the rod as force-fully, and this will likely help you figure out what is the optimal amount of power with which to cast that rod. Once you've got that down, feel free to go back to casting with the normal grip.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM

thanks for the insight guys. what tippett size should I start with? I guess I will need to practice for a while before heading up to the carolinias.

Frank,

we went out 2 weeks ago for some tarpon.... at 11:30pm the water temp was around 85-87 degrees, found a lit dock holding a few in the 20-40lb class. threw shrimp pattern and worked for the hook up. The fish took 2 jumps and then just layed down. That was the shortest fight of my life. heading out tonight to see if we can put some more tarpon and snook on the fly.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

tbrillinger223,

For the small streams you could use a 7.5 foot 5X leader. Take some 5X and 6X tippet material and you should be good to go. If you will be fishing a river you might need a 9' leader with same tippet.

Good luck with those Tarpon.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 PM

Frank,

I got my 5wt. today, my friendly ups driver delivered it. I bought the Cabelas Genesis "starter" kit 5wt 4pc.(when I bought it, I thought I would only use it 2-3 times a year.) I put it all together at my office and tried it out at one of the local lakes. I found that I only needed to adjust my "power" slightly, It casts beutifully. I found it does rather well with a breeze to my back and I need to work on "punching" the wind with that lite line. I was getting 20-30 feet right away, its going to take some getting used to but I think with enough practice i should be getting 40-50 by the 15 of september. I did manage to hook several ciclids, bream and one decent sized bass that made a good short run before breaking the leader (5x tapered leader)

(I used to use my 7wt. for this sort of fishing) NOW I AM REALY REALY HOOKED ON THIS SPORT!!!!

As for the tarpon, we went out to our usual docks and couldnt even buy a bite. there were a few good sized fish holding on the lights but they all had "lock jaw".
Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

tbrillinger223,

Thanks for the report. A 5X tippet is way lite for bass. I was suggesting the 5X for those small creek trout of NC. Even for those little trout you might want to start with a 4X tippet. You can always make it smaller if you need to.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM

frank,

I really didn't target bass, but it was nice to know that the rod and reel handled the fish.

my question now is there a website with illistrations on how to nymph, and casting diagrams for stream fishing?