The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

OK. I'm confused..... I fish for enjoyment and relaxation..... I didn't know that fishing, was a "contest". For me, if I'm looking fpr something "competitive", between NHL, NCIC hockey, and NA$CAR, I've got 12 months covered! Others can do as they prefer, but I'll fish to unwind, and not to compete....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
OK. I'm confused..... I fish for enjoyment and relaxation..... I didn't know that fishing, was a "contest". For me, if I'm looking fpr something "competitive", between NHL, NCIC hockey, and NA$CAR, I've got 12 months covered! Others can do as they prefer, but I'll fish to unwind, and not to compete....
I think you're confusing fishing with casting. Casting well competitively is pure, unadultererated skill. Unless you're a friend of Diver Dan's, most mere mortals can't begin to get the distances he gets without a heck of a good framework and many moons of practice, practice, practice. This also holds true, if not more so for the accuracy component of most casting compeititions. Both accuracy and distance skills play well with your becoming a better overall fly fisherman.
I don't know of any good caster who is not also a fine fly fisher. I do know good fly fisherman who would be way better if they only knew how to cast and cover all casting situations.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Good points, Brother, but is covering "all casting situations" strictly distance casting? Matching the hatch, roll-casts, dropping, Tenkara-like fly placement, even trolling with a streamer, are all forms and components of fly-fishing that distance casting doesn't help. Every method possible of presenting a pleasing (and enticing) meal to a finiky fish...

To He11 with the hola-hoops.... Lets try to hit dinner plates and tea-cup saucers, at ALL distances! Now THAT may be a bit more of a measurement of a sucessful fly-fisherman. And practicing for THAT is going to make me a better fisherman in most all circumtances, thus making the sport even more enjoyable and relaxing.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Dan,
If that was intended towards my post, then you didn't read this part of my post,
Nope, it wasn't. But nice of you to think so. The question was about how far a cast you can do with a WF5F. My comment was about;

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
And ordinary WF-line is 85-90 feet or some 27 meters long. Only the minority of fly anglers can cast out a whole line.
Casts longer than 160 feet or 50 meters are for the super elite in casting, and nothing that anybody will obtain under normal fishing conditions.
Casts longer than 190 feet or 60 meters are very rare. Even with specially tuned casting gear.
If you can show me where anyone anyplace at anytime ever hit past 160' with a WF5F line I'll eat my hat.

Let me give you an analogy. Person A tells person B while setting on his shiny new Schwinn, "I can get my bike up to 40 mph." Person B replies, "That's nothing. I got my bike up to 90 mph.", but fails to mention his is a dang Harley. Those 160 - 190 things are not with a real fly line and a real fly rod. They are a nonfishing rod with a seriously heavy shooting head and a thin mono running line. If you can tell me how that in any way has anything to do with how far the record cast is with a real WF5F line is, because I missed it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
If the young rep could really throw 180', then you would have known his name.
Me, I'll call bull$hit.
Plus one ditto.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Good points, Brother, but is covering "all casting situations" strictly distance casting?
Maybe in a select few comps but for the most part the distance component scored less than the accuracy casts. This seems to be in a state of flux as of late so I might be wrong on this by todays standards but not too long ago the comps scored both accuracy and distance.
The accuracy was to a fly plate (more or less) at different distances and sometimes under or around obstructions to hit the plate and score. The targets I saw were three concentric rings of different sizes with the smallest ring (pie plate) scorring the most points.
With "NHL, NCIC (though I have no idea what that stands for) hockey, and NA$CAR", unless you are outstanding in those sports you generally get to sit on a couch and watch them. With casting comps all you have to do is show up to be a competitor.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

here we go again....must be winter

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

btw, i think a 180' cast on a standard wf5 line is totally bogus. its just too good to be true, especially from a guy who has never been heard of.
another quick question-
how many of you guys actually fish in swimming pools

casey

ARFE
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Absolutely knew it was a bogus claim. In fact after watching him sling a few, I'm quite sure I could have took him on myself.... It simply got me wondering though about what the record actually was.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Quote:
OK. I'm confused..... I fish for enjoyment and relaxation..... I didn't know that fishing, was a "contest". unwind, ....
Then you post about hitting plates and tea cup saucers? I sense a competitive spirit..

I'll also step out on a limb and say if a guy can put it in a tea cup at 30 or 40yds, more times than not he can probabaly shoot one to the backing as well...
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Sounds a bit like delusions of grandeur. In 2001 I was witness to as well as participant in a casting for distance contest that determined placement in a fishing competition.
24 very competent casters (some well known) were given reels loaded with Cortlands newest line at the time 333 wf. After it was all over no one had gone farther then 79ft using 5wt rods and this line. After seeing those results first hand can't imagine anyone adding on 100 more ft of distance!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-05-2012, 05:15 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I don't know of any good caster who is not also a fine fly fisher. I do know good fly fisherman who would be way better if they only knew how to cast and cover all casting situations.
Agree with that!

Pocono
Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

Dan,
Then I misunderstood your comments and I apologize.
The single hand rod, distance casting records and equipment specifications I posted, were to demonstrate how the these types of distances are achieved in competition.
I had thought that I’d made my point clear by providing a video of Steve Rajeff casting a five weight in the Best of the West completion. The Reps assertion of being able to cast the same type of rig 50% further than what was evidenced in the video, would be a stretch.

A light eleven weight shooting head on a nine weight rod is not a “ rediculously heavy shooting heads or overweighted heads”. For many anglers it would actually be a bit light. It’s pretty common fishing gear amongst west coast deep pelagic, striper, salmon and even on occasion steelhead anglers who still ply the waters with single handed rods and shooting heads.

Fire Instructor -

Hi Rick.,
For some those competitions are serious business, for others they are simply the “ casting games “. I count myself into the latter group.
I grew up just a couple of miles from the San Francisco’s Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club which are open to the public and watched some of the champion casters of today learning to cast, mature into young competitors and go on to win national titles.

At one time or another most all of the “names” in both casting and fly fishing would filter through that club to compete or to demonstrate, as would most of the rod and line designers of the day.
San Francisco has a rich history of fly fishing innovation and was home to Winston and Scott. Fly tying tool maker Frank Matarelli made the city by the bay his home, the list goes on and on. It’s often credited as the place where the shooting head was first developed and Sunset line and twine the original makers of Amnesia shooting lines was a local company as well. Steve & Tim Rajeff were local boys back then. So the tradition of distance casting games are kind of big deal around those parts.
Just being able to stand alongside some of the best casters in the world with your own rod in hand and to pick up casting tips is incredibly enlightening. So for me, all of these casting distance numbers are just like reading the box scores of a ball game. It’s the practical application of what comes out of all that purposeful practice and design philosophy that allows us to grow in the sport, if we choose to take that route.

If you were to travel to San Francisco sometime and stop by the casting ponds out in Golden Gate Park, you’d find a friendly group of very talented fly anglers. Who for the most part, also happen to be very good casters. If you expressed an interest in tuning up your casting skills or trying out some other type of equipment I’m sure they’d openly accommodate you. There’s also a good chance that the person you’d be casting with also happens to cast in tournaments and they probably do so just for fun, like playing a round of golf.

Best, TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-05-2012 at 10:07 AM.