The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Cool Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

What the young man didn't tell youw as that you need the old round kind of fly line spool and then you discard the square box, glue the edges of the spool shut and flingit with a good side arm throw. With a great back wind and several skips you should be able to reach 180 ft--no rod needed!
Guest1 and theboz like this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Dan,
Then I misunderstood your comments and I apologize.
The single hand rod, distance casting records and equipment specifications I posted, were to demonstrate how the these types of distances are achieved in competition.
, TT
No problem.
Those types of casting contests where a heavy shooting head is used is one kind, and they do get really long distances. Then there are the kind where they use actual fly lines and the distances are not nearly as far. If you look at the site Sandfly got his post from, it says "Its detractors claim that it requires tremendous strength, stamina, and specialized equipment and has only a vague connection to fishing." And vague is an understatement in my opinion. The contests that use actual fly lines are much more like fly fishing. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone putting a 5 wt. line out past around 135ish. There are darn few casters that can do that. There are so few of them you know the names of a lot of them. Fredrik Hedman, Paul Arden, Mike Heritage who posts to this forum now once in a while, Steve Rajeff and a few others. My point is there are no casters doing 160+ with a WF5 line, let alone 180'. If there were, we would know his name by now.

By the way, I was not casting aspersions on those who use a shooting head to fish. I have one setup that way myself. They are not the same as what they are using in those so called casting contests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
What the young man didn't tell youw as that you need the old round kind of fly line spool and then you discard the square box, glue the edges of the spool shut and flingit with a good side arm throw. With a great back wind and several skips you should be able to reach 180 ft--no rod needed!
And that right there is the only reasonable way to hit 180' with a WF5 line I have heard yet. Good one.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:19 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've never had to use a shooting head system, but in Michigan several years ago, there was a guy fishing next to me and we decided to have a friendly casting contest. This was before my health went down the toilet and I was throwing all of my line out and a pinch of backing. The line was 90 feet, so I'm guessing maybe 95-100 feet. Well, the guy started to chuckle because he kept beating me by quite a bit of distance. I admitted that he was a great caster and decided to actually fish downstream. As I was leaving, he said "Oh by the way, I have a shooting head on and a such and such rod." I felt pretty good afterwards considering I was using an old Cabela's combo!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is an official #5 weight record. In the UK we have the BFCC which is the only national club and these are our records Records | BFCC - Home Of Uk Fly Casting.

I know Rick has thrown 140ish in practice, I have watched Paul Arden cast many over 130 including the outright BFCC record. I have cast several over 130 (best 138) in practice. Records have to be cast in competition, and there's the problem. You don't get to choose when when you get your three minutes like you do when you practice. The chances of those three minutes co-insiding with perfect conditions are slim to say the least.

Mike

180? bs
mojo likes this.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
And that right there is the only reasonable way to hit 180' with a WF5 line I have heard yet. Good one.
The only way I can think of is to tie a potato on your leader and fly line and shoot it out of a potato gun.

Oh wait, you said reasonable...Hahahaha
Guest1 and theboz like this.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM

willki is on a distinguished road

I mostly lurk on here, this might actually be my first post... but I was cracking up reading and had to add to the notes from everyone.

All I can think of, reading this, is how on the archery forums I also frequent, guys often talk about being able to shoot tennis ball size groupings at 100 or 150 yds. Most often, it's BS... My guess is the rep is, shall we say, exaggerating.

Those numbers on Rajeff etc - wholly smokes. UNREAL!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:03 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Shoot, most fly lines are 100' or under, after that you would be casting backing. Wonder if they make special 'tourney' fly line?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Potato guns are fun! Should work
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Potato guns are fun! Should work

+1

potatoe guns....what fun!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
Shoot, most fly lines are 100' or under, after that you would be casting backing. Wonder if they make special 'tourney' fly line?
They do. There are lines I know of like the Barrio line that is 130' long. The Rio distance line is 120'. But you can cast backing if you don't have that long a line or just if you can cast that far. Here is my entire line in my stripping basket and then a bunch of backing on the ground. Backing seems to tanle coming out of the basket.
Click the image to open in full size.
Here is a friend of mine after casting an entire 95' Trevor Morgan line clean out of the rod. That's the backing knot you see laying there on the grass.
Click the image to open in full size.
This is my same friend casting an entire 120' RIO gold competition line right to the backing.
" title="Rio Gold 120' comp line video by fishnwflies - Photobucket" target="_blank">Rio Gold 120' comp line video by fishnwflies - Photobucket
You can cast backing, and if you are really good you can even do it with a really long line.