The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM

pikehunter948 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

In my younger days, I used to be able to cast a 5wt about 90 ft without too much trouble. Mind you this was an A&F shorty rod made by Philipson (1968).

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Adapted from Angling matters

There are several things to note about this list.

Casts shorter than 90 feet or 30 meters do not impress Chaprelis. Most of us are in that end of the scale. And ordinary WF-line is 85-90 feet or some 27 meters long. Only the minority of fly anglers can cast out a whole line.
Casts longer than 160 feet or 50 meters are for the super elite in casting, and nothing that anybody will obtain under normal fishing conditions.
Casts longer than 190 feet or 60 meters are very rare. Even with specially tuned casting gear.

Jim and I worked together for many years and continued as good friends long afterwards, until he died. That was his passion - distance casting. We used to match each other in distance and accuracy contests at least once or twice a year at the Lincoln Park Casting Club in Chicago. Jim was the best caster I ever met and there will never be another one like him. Now that you've got the entire line out on the water - try setting the hook!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter948 View Post
Jim and I worked together for many years and continued as good friends long afterwards, until he died. That was his passion - distance casting.
Since you knew Jim, how far could he cast a regular WF5 line? I only ask because his name keeps being tossed into this with numbers that were done with shooting heads. And not shooting heads for fishing either. We were discussing apples and oranges keep being tossed in the mix.

By the way, welcome to the forum. I take it you do some Pike fishing. Where are you doing it?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

At least he's modest.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aff View Post
At least he's modest.
You knew him also? So how far could he cast a regular WF5 line?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post

The American two-handed casting record is over 300'

Jackster will have better information on this.

Pocono
Well in 'reel life' 2-hander casting competitions (world-wide) 180 feet would bring the People to their feet.

The head on the line used above was a short and heavy (18' rod if memory serves) and coil after coil of light mono laid out on the ground. Seen Steve do this at the Sandy River Spey 'Clave and it is 'impressive' but nothing that would be allowed in anything but very specialized comps.
theboz likes this.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I've never seen a casting competition...how do they (and everyone else) measure the footage of their cast. Is it from your feet to the fly? feet to the end of the line? Rod tip to one of the above? Most of the time, I can get 75-80 ft of my line off of the spool; I'll OCCASIONALLY get all of the line off of the spool and into the guides with a 90' line. How long of a cast is that? Is there a difference between a tournament measurement and a non-official? There is a big difference in measurement here if you don't count your rod and your leader.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I guess in the end it's just boils down to games that have rules and competitors that have chosen to follow those rules. If one wants to compare their achievements in distance casting with those of the best distance casters in the world or just want to know where they stand. The best thing for them to do, is join the ACA if they haven‘t yet, get geared up and head to a competition. That‘s where the rubber meets the road, everything else is just talk.
Practicing in the park with whatever gear they wish, with no restrictions or rules, on whatever day they wish and in the weather conditions that they‘ve chosen to proceed in, isn’t the same as stepping up to the line with the best casters in a competition, in front of a live audience.

If we all just make up our own rules, knock the long standing competitive casting games because of some thinly veiled self serving definition of what is, and what is not worthy of acknowledgment or achievement, then we stand to loose our creditability amongst our peers.

If one chooses to use whatever equipment they like and dare compare themselves or their achievements to those who’ve stepped up and met the challenge, then it skews the results and they’ll never know where they stand. I also believe that the best way to effect change is from within, by joining the ACA, and becoming a voice for change, they could campaign for the competition categories that they think would advance the sport.
But simply knocking a couple of categories in the casting games or those who chose to openly pit themselves against the challenge, because it doesn’t fit ones self serving goals and standards, isn’t a sign of good sportsmanship nor stewardship.
Those rules and games don't have to reflect life like fishing conditions. The home run competition at the all-star break doesn't have much to do with actual game day conditions. Driving a bucket of balls at the range on a staurday morning doesn’t mean ones ready for the P.G.A. I don't choose to use a distance taper on my five weights when I'm fishing.

With all due respect, TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-17-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I've never seen a casting competition...how do they (and everyone else) measure the footage of their cast. Is it from your feet to the fly? feet to the end of the line? Rod tip to one of the above? Most of the time, I can get 75-80 ft of my line off of the spool; I'll OCCASIONALLY get all of the line off of the spool and into the guides with a 90' line. How long of a cast is that? Is there a difference between a tournament measurement and a non-official? There is a big difference in measurement here if you don't count your rod and your leader.
My understanding it's from reel to fly.
Fred
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hi Dan,

I agree its apples and oranges and I thought we were clear on that point sometime ago. But your statement is not all together true. With all due respect, TT
Yes, it is apples and oranges. The thing is that it was apples being asked about. People keep tossing oranges in and failing to mention that they are in fact oranges. If you go back and look at the post by Mike Heritage, who as I had mentioned before his post, is one of the top distance casters on the planet. If you notice he said with a 5 wt. that he and a few other people like Paul Arden can hit mid 130's and on a really good day maybe 140ish. Then the next thing you know someone tosses in another orange with a number like 180. Oranges are not randomly tossed in with the apples at the grocery store for a reason. They aren't apples. We have an orange salesman who has joined the choir invisible, rest his soul, who had a serious penchant for oranges, I just want to know how he did with apples before he started chucking oranges at the Pearly Gates.
theboz likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Banned

OK there seems to be some confusion as to why a competition with shooting heads and one with a real WF5 line should not be talked about as if they had zero differences, and in fact need not even mention how it was that a distance was achieved. This notion is ludicrous on it's face. The two have almost nothing in common. It is in my opinion disrespectful of the guys who have the talent, and spent the enormous time and investment in becoming good at casting far with real rods and lines. The guys like Fredrick Hedman, Paul Arden, our member from the UK Mike Heritage and even my friend from Canada deserve to be given credt for their achievments without having distances tossed in that have ZERO relationship to what they do or was asked about in this thread. If those distances like the "Don't even get their attention if it's not over 160 feet" type comments are going to be tossed in to something like this, and I don't think they should, point out how they were done and that it has no relationship to WF lines and the question that started this thread. To not point that out is insulting to the real casters and deceptive to those who read the thread. Seriously, I hit 140' a lot of times this last year. I even have a witness. If I stopped right there and never said another word I would be lying by ommision. I did it with a 15' spey rod. Do you think it would be fair of me to compare Paul Arden's 140' cast on a WF5 line with a 9' single hand rod to my 140' with a 15' spey rod? How would me doing that be any different than tossing in the shooting head distances and failing to mention they are shooting heads? Especially when the question was not about shooting heads or spey rods. And by the way the spey rod wasn't a 5 wt either. It was a 10/11. Not exactly a fair comparison is it? Good grief! Look at the title of the thread for Pete's sake.

As a side note, I can't find a single reference to Jim Chaprelis having ever competed with a 5 wt, let alone placing. I think if he had been and was good at it I would have heard his name before this. That might explain the lack of an answer to my question.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-18-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Redundant word