The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

As far as I am aware full line distance casting, and five weight in particular, in competition has only been around for a few years. Certainly, when I first got interested in around 2004, it still quite novel. It's not the sanest way to achieve distance is it?

Mike
Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's not the sanest way to achieve distance is it?
No, it certainly isn't. But it does put older/lighter/ more slightly built fly fishermen much closer to to distances achieved by competitive distance casters. In other words, technique before strength is much more true with a 5 weight than with real heavy gear.

For instance, I could cast a 12 wt much further with a Fenwick Glass rod in 1969 when I was in my early 20's , weighed 35 pounds more and was solid muscle than I can today with any 12 wt rod and full line made. But the difference with a 5 wt is much, much less. With modern rods, I may even be able to cast a 5 wt further now than then.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just git off the phone with my Canadian friend Bill. He's the amazing natural caster I have talked about in case anyone has not heard of him yet. He is now cracking the 130' mark repeatedly. He killed his Barrio line which he thinks is better for distance than the Rio Gold competition line he's doing it with now. He has another Barrio on the way. He did this with a Cabela's Three Forks rod. He wanted to crack 130' on the Three Forks before Spring and he has done it. Simply amazing.

While it it might not be the most sane way, by the way, it is the way that reflects most closely our real world fly fishing sport. So maybe it's not the most sane, but it's a way everyone here can work on with what they already have. Then go use it to get fish.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
He wanted to crack 130' on the Three Forks before Spring and he has done it.
Tell Bill congradulations!! That is one heck of a cast anytime, but really amazing in cold weather. He'll break 140 on a low pressure, hot day this summer if he doesn't get too excited (or get heat stroke) and has a new line.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road

Well done Bill, fantastic casting. I might need to see you for some lessons.

The thing about casting the five for distance is that you need superb technique, and lots of practice. Both stand you in good stead with any other setup.

Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Tell Bill congradulations!!

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfluffer View Post
Well done Bill, fantastic casting.
Mike
I will pass this on to Bill. I'm amazed at his casting ability. Mike, I'm sure you and Bill would enjoy talking. He told me I had wrecked him, and that about 95% of his brain was dedicated to casting.

Now that he's cracked the 130' mark, maybe I can talk him into a better rod.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Bill needs to join the forum so we may pick his brain a little!!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Bill needs to join the forum so we may pick his brain a little!!
I think so to. I talked to him about just coming over to my house and post from here, just point out that it's him doing it. Some of the things he told me after he cracked the 130' mark, is that he is putting a lot of power in his back cast. It's a controled power. He's now able to fully controll a 95 or 100 foot carry. The first time he cracked the 130' mark he said it was calm and his tracking was really good. I assume that when he said he's putting a lot of power in his backcast he means more than he did, which was a whole lot before. I would still like to see him shoot one backwards and see how far he can blast one out there. He watches a lot of the videos on sexy loops and said he has tried to take what he thinks is the best parts of several peoples style. Truthfully, I think the way he's doing it may be the best way there is. He has found his own style by putting the microscope to the best guys around. Mike Heritage, Fredrick Hedman, Lasse Karlsson, and guys like that. I personally find it a bit interesting that he never mentions Rajeff, who powerwise he probably has more in common with. He does not have anything close to Rajeff's style though. He Has Rajeff's power, but that's where the comparison ends. He has Rajeff power with a more Hedman-ish style. (My comparison not his.)He's also been working on some things that have not yet clearly defined on Sexy Loops, but is a subject for down the road sometime.

I would like to see him end up with a job someplace in the industry since I wrecked his brain. It is now 95% casting dedicated.

I will work on having him post here.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-14-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Remove a couple lines.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Dan,

My buddy from Canada dragged out a Cabela's rod (unstrung) a couple weeks ago, and I was surprised at how powerful it was for its weight rating. Had it been strung up, I'd have walked out to the field and given it a try.

Until two or three years ago, I hadn't cast overhand since my 20's when fishing Long Island sound from the beach. I still don't very often when fishing. When I discovered sexyloops, I read extensively , and started watching videos of everything. As for style, I'm pretty good at imitating others, and actually thought about doing a spoof video - "Name that Caster'.

The style that gets me the best distance turned out to be Mike Heritage's arched back style, though I didn't know it at the time because I was watching a video of Chase Jabloski. Turned out, Chase developed that style through Mike's tuteledge and began hitting big distances after that. It is immediately apparant when watching the backcasts of both of them.

Since I am on on the steep down side of the bell curve in weight and strength, I need more efficient body movement to increase stroke length and give me more room to develop line speed, and to use larger muscles when doing it than when I was younger. Mike's style helps me in all those regards when casting overhead for distance.

When fishing, I use a more sidearm style from a boat because I can use torsional power without rocking the boat, without wrecking tracking and without straining muscles. It also gives the rod a lower profile which can be critical when fishing downtown fish on flat days over clear water. Sometimes, even a haul silouetted against the sky is too much motion for these fish.

Videos are a great way to watch different styles and techniques then to pick and choose elements until the right combination pops up.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Dan,

Videos are a great way to watch different styles and techniques then to pick and choose elements until the right combination pops up.

Cheers,
Jim
Something I could not agree with more. I taught myself to spey cast using videos. I have never actually seen another person do it that was NOT on video. I don't think it's possible to overstate the value of video.

Three summers ago my friend Bill asked me "How do you cast those?" As I have said many times before, he was the most amazing natural caster I have ever seen. Beyond what I showed him, and the entire reason he is the world class distance caster he is, is entirely due to VIDEOS and reading. Bill just asked me to add "And lots and lots of practice!" He also said "finding a place to cast indoors really helps with tracking and longer controlled backcasts."

If I have seemed to beat the word video to death here, it is because I want everyone to understand what a fantastic thing video can be for them. .........VIDEO!

By the way, I just wanted to make sure I was clear on something real fast. When I said Bill's style was like a combination of Rajeff and Hedman, I meant it only in as far as Tons of power like Rajeff, but precision style like Hedman. (Still working on that precision) There really is no other caster like Rajeff. He has a freakish unique style. (Bill said he doubts anyone will ever master his style, he is the master.) He's a one of a kind. I don't want anyone to think I am saying he's incorporated any actual style elements from Rajeff.

He is more influenced by Rick Hartman, who Bill has heard, may be the pioneer of the 170 - 180 style, used so much by the Europeans. Or variations of it.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-14-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Bill stopped by to lift heavy stuff for me.