The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

A couple years ago, we had our annual Stonefly BBQ and I brought a 5'3" Fenwick Ferrulite glass rod. I had the reel loaded with some old Wulff TT line. I watched Dave throw the whole line after a few casts to get used to it. Showoff.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Mojo
Until you wrote that I had no idea who you were. Now I know. Are you two on everyboard? We really need to go fish.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Funny. The day this post got bumped I banged out my all time best 117ft
9ft 5wt. It must have been an omen....
Awesome Cast.

The Wasatch expo is usually the first or second week in April.

www.wasatchexpo.com
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
Mojo
Until you wrote that I had no idea who you were. Now I know. Are you two on everyboard? We really need to go fish.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Awesome Cast.

The Wasatch expo is usually the first or second week in April.

Wasatch Fly Tying and Fishing Expo
Dave, this is a great site. You need to participate more.
Not quite on every board. I guess I never stop learning. Hopefully going up to the 'Berry this weekend. Use the tin boat this time.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Dave, this is a great site. You need to participate more.
Not quite on every board. I guess I never stop learning. Hopefully going up to the 'Berry this weekend. Use the tin boat this time.
Didn't you get banned from BFT? Throw some mice at dark and let me know how it goes. I actually have a guide trip on Friday, so I might be up that way on Friday night.

Everyone else, sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Funny. The day this post got bumped I banged out my all time best 117ft
9ft 5wt. It must have been an omen....
Awsome! How have you been by the way? I have had a really busy summer and have not had much time on here, but I think this is the first post I have seen from you.

Speaking of cool casts, I watched my friend Bill yesterday doing casts where I busted my Winston. He was casting facing where I hooked the cursed tree that killed my rod, shooting the forward cast up the rocks and through the trees and then shooting the back cast 90' + to the far side of the river we were fishing. I still want to see him do one that way for distance.

You and Bill would have fun casting together.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed DD, indeed. Mono-on- mono as it were. Given most single hander lines are 'only' 90' without modification .... But I did and I was consistently out at 115' with Jato Rocket asst. Flames rather singe your hair but worth it for that far out 'rise.'

Kidding aside, many of you many know (or know of) Steve Choate - hope I've got the spelling right. Steve could clear a standard fly line and then some cast after cast. With a 2-hander? 150' was a shortie- he, and Dr. Way Yin, spliced in additional shooting line. Both needed it. Steve came in first in, the then, Musto 2-hander comp. Dr. Yin was third twice. Back story to Way is someone (forgot his reel) in one of the Comps and Way lent him his reel/line .... first place.

He was third again .... but he only used 15 foot rods vs. 18's.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
he, and Dr. Way Yin, spliced in additional shooting line. .
I can get the whole line out on my Meiser, but I had problems with the backing doing funny stuff. I had little loops pop up and slack start on the spool. The next thing you know, there are knots and I am picking them out with a knot pick. WJC sent me the stuff to add running line to my AirFlo Delta Tactical Spey line. It's a great line but I wish they made it a tad longer. That's one of the things that make me like the Trevor Morgan lines better. They are long long. I had a big Pike peel me off into backing one time so fast it was not funny. It does not happen often but I'd hate to loose a fish because my backing went squirrely from long casts.

On a sort of related story I lost one when I was doing a lot of long casts. I had most of the line back in the stripping basket. The fish hit close to me and it was a big one. It took some line fast and a big knot comes whipping out of my basket and hits my left hand. I'm wading deeper and trying to get the knot fixed and the fly pulls loose. It comes whipping back and nails Bill right in the chest. No injuries thank goodness.

Thanks again WJC. I'm going to need to become a lot better for the backing to be a problem again.