The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tangled Leader

I am not Frank or Cliff, so take it for what it is worth. I would have to agree to SLOW DOWN. Plus I would think that you want a TIGHT LOOP on the over head cast. A big sloppy loop is where knots come from. Only open loops if casting multi flies or big heavy ones. Stop on the back and wait for the tug, and the same on the front only dropping the tip to lay the line out.
Think of painting a ceiling. I will go along with the 10 and 2, but add that for longer casts, the clock will get bigger. Like throwing that ball to someone 10 feet in front, little arm movement, but, now throwing that ball 100 ft, you have to open up the arm movement. Watch the pros on distance casting...that clock is bigger than they are.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

You may not be Frank or Cliff, but you are very knowledgeable about fly fishing and I always pay attention when you post.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Many times people will try to over power their cast and give it too much wrist. So you may think about using a wrist brace to help you learn to not use too much wrist in the back cast and learn to throw the cast smoothly.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Joni,

You may not be Frank or Cliff, but you are very knowledgeable about fly fishing and I always pay attention when you post.
Thanks Hon, and right back at you ;-)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
Many times people will try to over power their cast and give it too much wrist. So you may think about using a wrist brace to help you learn to not use too much wrist in the back cast and learn to throw the cast smoothly.
Hardhat... I have seen the guides ask the clients to stick the rod butt into their shirt or jacket sleeve.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 AM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

A sloppy wrist is one mistake I know I am not making. I drilled that into my head in the back yard and still pay very close attention to using shoulder and elbow in my cast, as opposed to wrist. Slowing down and accellerating smoothly seems to be the fix for me. I have adopted my golf swing into fly casting. I am a long hitter in the game of golf. I get my power by smoothly accelerating through the stroke, not jumping out and trying to get the club at full speed right off the bat. If I accelerate too fast in my golf swing, I get my hands in front of the club and slice every time. When I slowly accellerate through the ball it goes long and straight. I see the fly cast is similair. I am trying to accelerate smoothly through the motion and am now getting a much better cat without all the knots,
Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Tangled Leader

[QUOTE=Joni;14055]... Stop on the back and wait for the tug, and the same on the front only dropping the tip to lay the line out. ...
QUOTE]

Joni, this is excellent advice. Waiting for the "tug" is always what has helped my cast when my timing has gone awry.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM

HTiger is on a distinguished road

This has been a tremendously helpful thread for me. Thanks, StS, for starting it. I have been having the same issues you described. The harder I cast, the uglier the loop and the more knots I suffered.

When I incorporated some of the advice from here, things smoothed out. Then, I switched from a dry fly to a bead-headed nymph and, suddenly, started getting tailing loops and knots again. And a new problem crept in: The fly tangling where the loops of the flyline and leader connected. Seems to have improved today forcing myself to s-l-o-w down the cast overall.

One interesting thing, if I find myself concentrating on a spot to deliver the fly, and not really paying attention to the cast, the whole thing seems to go much better. Maybe I'm letting myself cast correctly rather than thinking through every motion.

Regardless, this is really fun stuff!

And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in everything.

- Shakespeare
Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Tangled Leader

HTiger.

instead of following your driver back don't you watch the ball, while concentrating on where you are going to hit it, or something similar?
You answered your own question about casting.

with a weighted fly try having the line unfurl higher during the back cast
by stopping the rod closer to the 12 o'clock position than you do with a dry.
this should reduce "Gravity" effect on the fly by propelling the line higher , allowing it to unfurl more normally.

have fun, that's what it is all about
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Hi all... It's been a long cold winter, but alas, fishing season is back in full swing.

I'm really glad this post helped a fellow forum mate out. It's also noce to know I'm not the "only one" that has had this issue.

I have not really done much in the area of dry fly fishing yet as most of the bigger hatches in my area start in the upcoming weeks but I have played around a bit. It's much trickier in the small streams than it is in the large river. Also the faster current of the mountain streams have me pulling my hair out with trying to get a dead drift with the dry fly. I really need to work on line mending. I am going on a full day personal guide tour with a local shop here on May 24th. I can't wait as I'm sure I will get MANY pointers in many different areas. I'll be sure and share my experience on the forum.

Tight Lines!!

Jeff