The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM

shmish is on a distinguished road
Default a tip for fly casting

I haven't seen the following tip mentioned. Or at least if I did, I forgot about it! Experienced people probably don't need to worry about it, but it's a good one for beginners imo. One important thing to do when starting with a new line/setup is to take note of where the belly and tapers are on the line, and use this information to help you know how much line needs to be out from your rod for you to cast and shoot. I was having problems with a SA Stillwater line and then I learned that I really need 40' out of the rod before I can really deliver or shoot. Once I figured this and practiced for a few minutes I was able to cast the line a lot better.

This also relates to how lines are spec'd for beginners/intermediates as opposed to intermediates/experts. From a discussion I had with SA, the Stillwater line is considered advanced because you need to fly 40' of line before you can shoot it. The "professional" series equivalent of this line is the Wet Cel clear. This is more for a beginner/intermediate and its belly is only about 30'. So it would be easier to cast, but it won't cast as far.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: a tip for fly casting

I use a black sharpie pen to mark the line, so I know how much line I need out of the tip. I have also heard of people putting a piece of string on the line wrapped very tight, so that they can feel that part of the line when it goes through their fingers.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:58 PM

shmish is on a distinguished road

I marked the line with a black felt pen at about 48' on my line. So when the mark is in my stripping hand, I know that 40' of line is out of the rod. I then did some practising where I found that with the black mark in my stripping hand, I had to do about 12 retreives/stips to bring in enough line in order to fly the line. Once I did this I was able to get the required 40' out of the rod with 2 false casts. So when I'm on the water I follow the same pattern. I wasn't able to actually see where the black mark is while casting, I can only see the line while stripping in line.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM

waterman is on a distinguished road

I marked mine with a sharpie at 30ft and at 40ft, primarily to get a good visual what "x" amount of line looked like on the water to better gage my casting accuracy. So much talk of how far a cast was and how much line you need out to get the best action from your rod, etc… The marks I made happen to relate well to the belly and rear tapper and I've noticed very distinctly better control and much more efficient loading and unloading of my rod within those distance ranges.