The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Distance Roll casting

How far should I be able to roll cast? I'm having no problem with 40' roll casts but trying to go 50+ is a no-go. I find that the line directly in front of me just dives towards the water in a big U-shape. The tip of the cast remains elevated fine, but because the middle of my line sinks it kind of foils the unrolling process. I just can't get the roll-cast scene from "A river Runs Through It" out of my head where a nice tight loop carries out on a nice straight plane. That cast looks like its 70 or 80 ft.

Any Tips???
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Distance Roll casting

Ingredients; Slow to medium action rod with some backbone, DT or long belly light Spey line.

I've been making long cast with no back cast for a long time. Very much a roll cast but now more widely known as a 'single hand Spey Cast' I would describe most of my streamer casting as a modified snap T cast which is pretty much a power roll the way I do it.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

There is more that I will say regarding this topic. I've fished many tight places over the years and have developed various was to get the fly where I needed it to be. When speaking about a really long roll cast; contrary to the image of the young man making that cast in the movie, I've never found roll casting conducive to effective dry fly fishing. What i mean by this is that the very act of executing repeated roll casts results in even the best of my floating flies being pulled under the surface and inundated with water. This does not contribute to a good floating fly at the end of the leader. For fishing emerger type patterns I see no detriment but the movie depicted a perky dry bobbing along to be grabbed up by a rather large trout.

The roll has always been a tool in the box that comes in handy in some dry fly applications but has never been a go to method for me. Streamers; this is another story entirely, I use what I initially described here (the snap T style roll) and have been able to do so with great results in the distances that I can deliver a fly of significant size to a target area. With wet flies roll or Spey style casts have no ill effect of the performance of the fly since 'the wetter the better' is a good rule for fishing sub surface.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-14-2012, 05:08 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Understanding Rod Action and Choosing the Right Rod for You a great article on rod action and appropriate uses. Especially the last couple of paragraphs. After reading those, consider this, I turned a mediocre roll casting rod into a great roll casting rod by nothing more than going to an eight weight line while the rod was a moderately fast seven weight rod.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You can always try using your other hand on the butt of the rod to get a bit more snap, ala spey casting.

Hopefully you'll feel spey-ey, not spayed.

Thanks, I'll be here all week!
Hardyreels and grassonfly like this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try a single hand spey cast and haul with your line hand. It'll go a lot farther than a roll cast will. It's not hard to hit 65 or 70 feet that way. 80' may be pushing it. Most people have trouble hitting 80 feet with a good double haul. One more thing, you don't need to change lines either. I hear a lot all the time about it, saying overline it. I hate it. I hate it worse than sand in my eggs. I can underline and hit 65 - 70 feet.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Chuck, Thanks, Good read. I will disagree with one line in someones opinion in that article. I feel a rod does have action even though it's not loaded with line. I've never used the flex grading of a rod. As most i've always used the slow, medium, and fast action to determine what i was holding. Granted some may have been built for different casting situations and different size fish but there are a couple of factors that comes into play for myself. Practice, experience, then finesse. The later i will call method of application. Again Chuck. Good read.
Eddy
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

To make a long distance roll cast it's important that there's no slack in the D-loop. To insure that there isn't, it's a good idea to try to begin your forward cast just before the fly stops moving. (Some anglers instead watch the shape of the D-loop and make their forward cast just before it begins to collapse.)

Also, to maintain line/rod tension, I like to press the fly line against the butt with my finger. When I abruptly stop the rod I let go of the fly line.

Finally, for roll casting I prefer a slower fly rod.

Randy
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'd try a single hand spey cast and haul with your line hand. It'll go a lot farther than a roll cast will. It's not hard to hit 65 or 70 feet that way. 80' may be pushing it. Most people have trouble hitting 80 feet with a good double haul. One more thing, you don't need to change lines either. I hear a lot all the time about it, saying overline it. I hate it. I hate it worse than sand in my eggs. I can underline and hit 65 - 70 feet.
Sand in your eggs...never had that feeling. I've had sand in my clams and that wasn't so bad. So what I'm gathering is that I should be able to hit 50' even with a WF line without too many problems. I've never fished big water rods like you "spayed" casters so I will have to look up the single hand spey cast. I'll check it out and try a couple other things mentioned. I'll make sure I'm not letting my D loop slack up like Randy suggested; don't think that I am, but I'll check it out. As far as Ard's T-Snap cast...is that a two part cast?? I'm not sure I got the point of the cast from the youtube stuff I could dig up.

Thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully some of these help me out.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Also, I'd try adding a single - downward - haul to your rollcasting.

Randy
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Finally, for roll casting I prefer a slower fly rod.

Randy
I agree, and also think that longer rods work a bit better.

I don't mean that you have to buy a 10' stick, but picking your 9' rod instead of 8' for a day that includes lots of roll casting can really help. I know some sing the praises of short rods on tight streams, but if I know I'll have to roll cast alot, I'd sooner have my 8.5' 3wt than a 7' rod.
db cooper likes this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.