Spoiled fishing casts?

cattech89

Reaction score
OK I need some help. I hope that Im not the only one that makes bad casts periodically. Mine are probably more frequent that others but thats beside the point.:D What Im curious about is if I make a bad cast and have my line land in a heap, or something else that makes me look over my shoulder to make sure no one else is watching:eek:, am I done? Should I move on? I realize that this would probably be different depending on the waters Im fishing. i.e. stillwater, stream, deep water, shallow water. I typically fish for trout in streams that have all aspects of water.
My initial thought is that I should just travel elsewhere but Id hate to miss out on something that my skill level hasnt allowed me to discover.
(I prefer to say that I suck eloquently.:D:D:cool: )

wjc

Reaction score
Hah, you're all alone. None of us have ever botched a cast.:D

The third thing I usually do is to check my leader and fly, then I continue fishing. My feeling is that dumped casts don't affect the fish nearly as much as waving arms and rods, shadows, and stumbling around or walking with heavy feet on the stream banks.

Cheers,
Jim

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Seth,

I have caught many fish on a bad cast. The only really bad cast is when you snag your back cast. There are others of course but the snagged back cast will stop the action and offer no chance for recovery and a fish taking the fly. Don't worry about such things, just strive for improvement.

jcw355

Reaction score
Cast again, consider it practice. I usually don't move till I don't get anymore bites in that spot. Everyone has flaws, just recognize them and work on them. My casting gets sloppy at times too but I realize it and make the adjustment.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi cattech89,

Practice and experience will help a lot with your problems. If you make a big pile cast there is no reason you can't exit the water and take a break. Let the spot rest. Have a snack, go over your flies, retie or what ever takes some time. Study the water and decide how you will approach this time. You could even go on and fish other spots and then come back to this spot. Just do something that lets the spot rest and recover from the earlier commotion.

As you learn a stream or river you will find you consistently catch fish at the same spots. Just because you make a big commotion the fish will still be there and will eventually return to feeding.

Frank

Reactions: Ard

axle27

Reaction score
At the end of the day, the fish could care less about the cast, it's the presentation (how he sees it). If the fly, even on a bad cast, finds a nice zone where a fish is (if you're not sight fishing), things could happen.

For every good cast, I do two bad casts. Usually this means that I'm rushing things and not letting the rod do the work....when I slow down and let it happen, things work out.

Reactions: Ard

cattech89

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the assistance. I am not worthy to approach your thrones of experience. :worthy::D

oregonsteel

Reaction score
OK I need some help. I hope that Im not the only one that makes bad casts periodically. Mine are probably more frequent that others but thats beside the point.:D What Im curious about is if I make a bad cast and have my line land in a heap, or something else that makes me look over my shoulder to make sure no one else is watching:eek:, am I done? Should I move on? I realize that this would probably be different depending on the waters Im fishing. i.e. stillwater, stream, deep water, shallow water. I typically fish for trout in streams that have all aspects of water.
My initial thought is that I should just travel elsewhere but Id hate to miss out on something that my skill level hasnt allowed me to discover.
(I prefer to say that I suck eloquently.:D:D:cool: )
"make sure no one is looking"? Is this about self consciousness or fishing? I have been walking upstream, dragging my fly line behind me, and have had big trout strike (mid 20 inch).

Fudge what people think, just fish. You are in a big city, find a mentor to help you with casting fundamentals.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I think you're worrying about it too much. If you're on moving water, just let it drift down and straighten out, and try again.

The third thing I usually do is to check my leader and fly, then I continue fishing.
I agree with this. If you're concerned that the pile of line you flopped near a promising spot might have spooked a fish, rest it for a minute while you tie on a new fly, adjust your indicator, tip back the flask, etc.

cattech89

Reaction score
I was just kidding about "making sure no one is looking." Just trying to add a little humor thats all.
I was primarily concerned about spooking the fish and how long i should wait or if i should just move on.
Guess I a little winded in my initial post. Too many words........
Thanks BigCliff

Bigfly

Reaction score
Seth, on higher pressure water, with wild fish, I'd give them twenty min. to relax.
Then, sneak back like a Nynja.
To me, truck trout are not nearly as tough an audience.
If I botch a cast over those, (yep, still happens), I just don't pull my line off the water in a noisy fashion, just let the drift continue.
I've caught a lot of fish on a bad cast.
Maybe change the fly, just to keep them guessing.
Generally speaking, if they know it's game on, they won't play.
Can't say I blame them.

Jim