The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What Did I get Myself Into!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Chris M View Post
I do redfish trips, which are very similar to bonefish and see the same few things happen week after week that prevent people from catch fish.

1. Distance - must be able to get at least 40 ft, preferably 50-60 if needed. many days I spend the whole time saying "you're 5 feet short"

2. Speed - Must be able to deliver the fly in 2-3 strokes. This means you have to start with line outside the tip and, in our waters, the fly in your hand. Look up Saltwater Quick Cast on Youtube. The less false casts, the better.

3. Accuracy - many time, you anly get one shot so you need to make it count

4. Understand how to cast a loop. People can get away with a lot of bad habits when there is no wind. As soon as it blow 5mph, large open and sloopy loops collapse and distance suffers

Teach a beginner how a fly cast works. What rules must be followed to cast correctly. That way they can begin to analyze their own casts when practicing and know how to correct common mistakes. The "just move the rod like this" school of teaching does nothing to help the student know why a cast did or did not work. I get many lifelonig fly fishermen on my boat that have no idea what a loop is or how a cast works. If you come on board knowing how a cast should work, a 10 minute tuneup is easy. If not, we spend an hour or more trying to just learn the basic cast.

well todays lession was not a total loss. I started with the usual stuff 10-2 and make good stops. and got into a bit on how the line flys. he tried both my 6 and 8wt and favored the longer 10ft rod 8wt. did alot of yard casting then decided to check out the creek that borders this small ball park. his casting improved when he had a target to aim for, but im still hounding him about moving to far in his cast. lots of spin tackle habits to break. after getting wore out casting he was getting 25 ft ok, perhaps more. he did have fun and learned alot. I did find out that this bonefish trip is not guided on boat persay. I guess he knows someone going to take him to knee deep water flats, to fish. so will see waht happens. We are getting together at his 7 acre lake to cast over water in a week or so, and I hear this lake has carp ( my own interest peaked hahah) more updates soon.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Who knows, he may get out there in the wind and they may have him casting from 9-3, I hear a lot of saltwater guys pushing for a wider casting arc... If he's keeping tight enough loops and getting a solid stop on either end, the wider arc may not be too bad!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:35 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
well todays lession was not a total loss. I started with the usual stuff 10-2 and make good stops. and got into a bit on how the line flys. he tried both my 6 and 8wt and favored the longer 10ft rod 8wt. did alot of yard casting then decided to check out the creek that borders this small ball park. his casting improved when he had a target to aim for, but im still hounding him about moving to far in his cast. lots of spin tackle habits to break. after getting wore out casting he was getting 25 ft ok, perhaps more. he did have fun and learned alot. I did find out that this bonefish trip is not guided on boat persay. I guess he knows someone going to take him to knee deep water flats, to fish. so will see waht happens. We are getting together at his 7 acre lake to cast over water in a week or so, and I hear this lake has carp ( my own interest peaked hahah) more updates soon.
Your a good friend to have!! I hope he's aware of it, best of luck.

Rick
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Who knows, he may get out there in the wind and they may have him casting from 9-3, I hear a lot of saltwater guys pushing for a wider casting arc...
The reason for the wider arc is usually a longer cast. Longer casts need longer strokes. Stay away from numbers on a clock. A certain time on the clock is only for a cast of a certain length and only for straight overhead casting. Almost never do I cast totally vertical nor do I encourage a beginner to do it as it is an easy way to hook oneself in the back of the head.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I agree on the not using the time points, but till I can get him putting line out to 40 ft easy itll do, I am getting him to cast higher on forward and lower on the back cast, which is how I cast alot with my 8wt and heavy flys. He he going to order the redington crosswater 8wt package from my work as soon as I can get it in. sicne that is the rig he is taking for this trip I want to get him casting it as soon as possible. How critial is the salt water fly line for a week long trip?

thanks

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Your a good friend to have!! I hope he's aware of it, best of luck.

Rick
im getting access to a new 7acre fishing hole.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

A salt water line is almost the same as a bass taper, turns the larger flies over nicely, the pond is a good thing!

Rick
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
A salt water line is almost the same as a bass taper, turns the larger flies over nicely, the pond is a good thing!

Rick
is that the only difference? special saltwater plastics, color? I have the bps bass taper and my friend was casting it alright.

all the insight I am getting here is helping me help him make a good choice in set up. thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 AM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road

If you have a bass taper, that should work fine. The thing I would want to avoid is using a double taper or using a coldwater line in hot tropical conditions. Especially since it is a short trip and not a permanent fishing place, I would not be that concerned. Color seems to make little difference. The fish should not be seeing the fly line, just the 9-12ft leader.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Unless he's going to X-Mass Island or one of the remote islands someplace like that, I can't think of many fish worse than bones to go after as a neophyte unless he'll be blind casting for them.

Too bad he's not starting out with a less skittish specie. It's nice for newcomers to actually catch something to help fuel their interest.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM

update, I got him to to the 8wt allen rig like I use. I too the reel with me to bps and had the shop rig it with rio saltwater clouser line. so atleast his gear will be up for the task. Not sure if the rod will make it in before Saturday evenings lake trip. but if not I can put his reel on my rod and get him castign his line. I made a new Allen gearhead.