The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: Beginner ?'s - too much muscle in cast

jwitt618,

T.Hargorve's fly shop is located just a few blocks west of Feather-craft's flyshop - both on Manchester Road...Hargrove on the South side of the street, and Feather-Craft on the North side. They are about 1/2 mile apart.

From personal experience, Feather-Craft has a much broader and deeper inventory of tying materials and a very helpful staff. Hargrove is more of a small personal fly shop, a great place to try out a specific vise, or ask for some stream info (not that F-C does not provide great stream info as well), or just to sit and shoot the bull for a while with people who like to fly fish.

Only issue with Hargrove is you have to not mind coming out smelling like a Friday night smoker at the local lodge - heavy smokers run the place and lots of customers smoke in there as well. My brother says he can tell which of two identical spools of thread came from Hargrove vs. F-C due to the smoke smell from Hargove's (of course he is pretty picky about odors). FYI - No smoking in the store at F-C.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt618 View Post
Thanks for all the tips and discussion everyone!!!

Gotta be brief- boss man's here and we're busy.

I'm out of town on two of those dates...24 and 31, but the 24th might have to be cancelled for this opportunity. Man- good timing! Except for scheduling. Go figure!

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

P.S. That other shop looks cool as well! It's located on the route from home to the Ozarks, no less. That article on their home page cracked me up...captain beefheart? My kind of place!
So did you go to feathercraft today? If so lets hear a tripreport!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM

jwitt618 is on a distinguished road

Nope, I ended up in KC making money. Ugh. Guess where I'm going this weekend that has nothing to do with fishing what-so-ever, where the locals think the BBQ is better than St Louis? I'm just going to have to get over to F.C. in 2-3 weeks. What a drag. The upside is that i'm going to be able to grab a nice pair of waders when I do make it though!

Ol' smoky Hargrove's won't bother me, for the moment at least. But when I'm not smoking, yuck.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Jwit, if you have a video camera, or can borrow one, film yourself.
In my experience there is a desending order of problems with learning to cast..
#1 casting issue for many, is the soft/sloppy stroke stop.
If your stroke ends with the rod even close to parallel with the ground, either on the front or back stroke, you have found the problem. Like these guys mentioned, a crisp stop at 10 & 2 oclock is key!
I picture a hitching rail, right where I need to stop, (gonna hurt my wrist if I don't stop).
#2 issue
Waving the rod with more shoulder than forearm prevents loading much power into the rod. The acceleration is too gradual to do much good, so you need to push.
#3 issue is line.
Man what a difference the right line on the rod makes!
Might be interesting to try a few lines on the grass, with your rod, at the local shop.
Getting the right weight line for a rod works wonders.

When I'm teaching a beginner, I have them lay a hand on mine while I'm casting, to let them feel how little force is really needed to cast 30-40 ft.
Keep wrist movment to a minimum, use the velcro strap method (instead of duct tape), if neccesary. Getting the cast squared away takes patience, but it's worth the time/effort.
Good luck!

Jim

Bigfly