The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should I be able to cast my 3wt as far as my 5wt?

I can understand the desire to squeeze a little more distance out of the 3wt. I love fishing my 3wts, and though they're often most used on smaller water, I know that I have had times when I've needed to throw longer casts to rising fish or to nymph a far seam. The 3wt is going to appear at first as a huge change from the 5wt. Since you're not only dealing with a change in action/flex but a change in wt, as Davo said, you're going to have change up your casting stroke speed a bit to match the rod. While feeling the rod may help you find the cast, in my short tenure as a fly-caster I've also had success pairing the feel with watching the line straighten out behind me to time my cast. As Fred said, you will likely be better off with a weight-forward line rather than a DT. On top of that, I was told that the Allen lines tend to be a half a line weight lighter (never weighed them myself, but had the inclination when casting on a matching rod and attempting to go for longer distances). While you can certainly cast a lighter line just fine once you get the action sorted out, you would likely be better off with a definite 3wt WF line, and put the extra money into getting a better line. The higher-end lines do legitimately get you more distance and it tends to feel better casting them. If you're on a budget, see if Orvis still has any of their Wonderlines on clearance, since they released their new line series they've been clearing out their previous line series. If they still have them, you'll get a heck of a deal.

Most importantly, good luck! I'm sure you'll get it ironed out and get to throwing those longer ropes soon enough
Davo likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Like Gator said, try to watch your back-cast until it completely unrolls backwards. You'll want to make sure it loads or completely unrolls behind you before you begin to accelerate forward. I'm not a casting instructor by any means, but the best way I have heard a cast simplified was into three parts. A back cast, which is an acceleration to a stop; the STOP until the line unrolls and loads the rod, and then a forward cast that is a mirror image of the back cast, accelerate to a stop.

I also exagerate my arm motions when I'm trying to reach with a short rod. I try to allow my arm to be an extension of the rod and move all the way down to my shoulder, rather than just keeping my elbow tucked like Lefty prescribes. I can pick line up off of the water, and carry line in the air like my rod is a foot longer by elevating my casting hand a little, and pushing it far behind me during the back cast, and ending my forward cast with a stretch forward also. Again, I'm not a casting instructor so if the way I do this is detrimental to good casting form maybe someone can correct me as well, but I've found that this allows me to reach without overpowering a soft rod.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Downright poured all night and all day today so wasnt able to make it outside to film myself.

If someone gets this quick how is Orvis Wonderline? Found it online on sale for $30, price is good enough Might have to re-outfit the 5wt if it is good line?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
Downright poured all night and all day today so wasnt able to make it outside to film myself.

If someone gets this quick how is Orvis Wonderline? Found it online on sale for $30, price is good enough Might have to re-outfit the 5wt if it is good line?
I'm using one, its half price at $30. I did have a welded loop fray off of one of my wonderlines in a hurry (probably in the first 10 times out), but Orvis sent me a replacement HYDROS line for no charge. I've had several and no complaints.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Just went ahead and ordered a Wonderline, it was that or a Cabelas brand line.

I dont know if this video is worth showing, my camera sucks and I was not able to get any video far enough away for you to see the loops and the line but here is my "form". I did a bit of casting with both the 3wt and 5 wt. 3wt I wasnt able to cast across the little run off pond im next too, 5wt I was casting so far I was hitting the bushes behind me (wasnt even close to that with the 3wt).

I noticed that I tend to cast with my rod/arm slightly off at an angle, instead of the rod running perfectly parallel with my body I angle it away from myself a little bit, is this bad? Also noticed I may be letting the tip drop a little too much on my back cast.

Sorry for the dog wanting his few seconds of fame.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Well it is tough to see whats going on. Can't really see the rod or the line. But just from looking at your arm I do see a couple things that might help. The stroke I would want to see with a 3wt is when you first pick the line up to start casting. If you watch it you'll see a long slow stroke with the emphasis at the very end. After that you go right to a short power stroke on you fore and backstrokes. Keep that longer slower stroke through out your false casts. Those short power strokes work well on medium and fast action rods and not well on slow action ones. Copy that initial start stroke through out your cast and you should have better results.

Slow action rods are also referred to as full flex rods. When loading a full flex or slow rod you want the rod to flex the full length of the rod. A short power stroke will only load the upper portion of the rod. You need the longer smooth acceleration to load the whole rod effectively.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Last edited by Davo; 04-27-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 AM

Video does suck but figured since I uploaded it just as well post it.

Ok I am a bit confused though: You mentioned that short powerful strokes work with fast/med fast rods and slow long strokes work for slow action rods. If my 3wt is a fast action then wouldnt I want a fast power stroke?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

I've never seen a fast action 3wt. In general most 1-3wts are slower rods. But I guess a 3wt could be made in tip flex or fast action. I'm not familiar with the specific rod you have. From watching you cast your stroke with the 5wt is more of a short fast action motion. You slow it down some on the 3wt. I find with my 3wt it takes a rather exaggerated stroke to get the most out of it.

I might not be doing the best job of explaining either. I do much better teaching clients in person, when I can see what they are doing and demonstrate what they need to do. Are there any Trout Unlimited chapters near you or some other fly fishing groups where you can find someone to work with on it. If not all you need to do is keep playing with it, when you find the right casting stroke you'll feel it.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 AM

Its a Winston GVX and Winston claims they are all fast action rods. I did build it but I followed guide spacing exactly to what winston said and Theres no way I used enough flex coat on the guides to slow it down into a slow action.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 AM

I missed that in your first post. Just sent you a PM. Let us know how the Wonderline works. With the fast action the same stroke you use for the 5wt should work for the 3wt.