The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Should I be able to cast my 3wt as far as my 5wt?

5wt specs:
St. Croix Triumph 9' 5wt Mod/fast action
Cabelas prestige or prestige plus reel (if it matters)
Cabelas Prestige plus line WF 5F
I suck at casting, I cant get anywhere near my backing (did shoot some line and almost hit backing one day) but for my fishing I feel my casting is proficient.

I was out today testing my new

Winston GVX 7'6" 3wt Fast action (pending I didnt sevearly mess up while building it)
Ross Flyrise reel (if it matters again)
Allen 3wt Double taper line.

I could not for the life of me cast very far, I dont want to guesstimate because I suck at guessing but I want to say my best cast was MAYBE 35 feet, ok so yes that is fine for spring creeks but Shouldnt I be able to cast farther? Am I just reaching the max for the rod?

With my 5wt its nothing for me to hit 50+ feet. During my flyfishing class at school my teacher wanted to challenge me so he went and stood about 70 feet away and told me to hit him. While casting towards him (uphill) I was able to shoot the line and drop it about 8-9 feet from his toes (plenty good casting for me) but with the 3wt after I get 35-40 feet of line out I loose all momentum I then either snap flys off or the line isnt keeping enough speed to stay up off the ground or out of the water. Even single hauling it (havent gotten in rhythm to double haul) I cant get any farther.

I have a feeling that it is the line, the Allen line does not smoothly slide through the guides and shooting any thing much more than 3-4 feet is not possible without a nice heavy bugger on the end. Im looking at replacing it because I found a slice in the middle of the line (first time using it too )

Sorry for rambling just trying to figure out where the problem is. If anyone can help thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Should I be able to cast my 3wt as far as my 5wt?

Practice Practice Practice........Should be able to cast a 3wt quite a bit further than that. Sounds like a timing thing.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't expect all 80' of you line from that rod, but I have cast the GVX and it is pretty strong in the 4wt. 35' is kinda short if you are in fact guesstimating right. I'd be happy with 60' and wouldn't expect much more with a 7'6"3wt. I really gave-up 3wt fishing because I tend to fold them in half while trying to cast. Maybe stick a tape measure out there and get a good figure; you may be guesing 10 or 15' short which if that is the case you are reacing upwards to 50'.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Just extending my 30' tape it looks to be about the right distance, 35-40 feet is about what I was hitting. Ill try to get out on the lawn in a few days after this thunder boomer goes over and see what I was actually hitting.

Could it be the DT line isnt loading properly? Im sure my timing isnt the best but I fished it by "feeling" (like I do with my other rod) the rod bend.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you video tape your cast? You should be able to get a farther cast than that. Not as far as you can in general with a five wt. but farther than that.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Without watching your cast it is hard to say. Best guess is you are getting ahead of the rod which is why your loosing the moment as you described. Slow down and don't try to muscle distance out of it. 3wt are slow rods. If you try to hard the rod can't work. Think more graceful strokes not harder strokes. Let the rod do the work!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Can you video tape your cast? You should be able to get a farther cast than that. Not as far as you can in general with a five wt. but farther than that.
+1

But two things cross my mind, but back to that in a second. First, with 'equal lines' you will cast a bit further with a 5wt vs a 3wt. It's the extra 'grains' in the line that make the difference.

But back to the two thoughts. First, the description of the rod says its a 'shorty' and that will make a heck of a difference in how far you can cast. Secondly, a short rod with a DT will also be a limiting factor. If 'distance' is needed, go to a WF line and you'll see a significant increase in distance
Old 04-26-2012, 08:37 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

You could overline it by a half or so, BUT question:? Why would you need to reach your backing casting a 3-weight? Clearly you're not fishing in salt. Accuracy is the key. Even on big rivers I'm hard pressed to understand why you would need to throw the entire line??
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM

Im working on getting a decent video camera to film myself, Ive wanted to film myself for a few months now so I could see my cast and see if there is anything I can do to improve it. Ill see what I can do.

No need in the world to cast into my backing with the 3wt, I just would like to know that if I NEED a little distance I can achieve a little bit more than what I'm doing now. I also want to get the most out of my rod.

I actually think I may have been overpowering and muscling the rod, Im so used to the 5wt and how heavy and stiff it is that the 3wt is like a noodle compared to it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
I actually think I may have been overpowering and muscling the rod, Im so used to the 5wt and how heavy and stiff it is that the 3wt is like a noodle compared to it.
Don't worry it happens to everyone. I have to check myself when I switch from my 7wt streamer set up to my 3wt. It's fun to pull the 3wt out for some finicky risers in the side channels from time to time but adjustments have to be made.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures