The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Casting term/name needed.

I was in the park yesterday with my friend Bill. We were casting flies for Pike and Smallmouth. Bill tried a couple of my rods. He had my Winston 10 wt. and fired a shot across the bay. The wind was blowing and making line coming off the grass a challenge to keep out of your feet. Bill did a really long cast and as line was shooting up off the grass he did a very impressive dance trying to avoid getting line caught in his feet. I have seen him do this dance many many times. I do a dance like this when I don't use a basket pretty often as well. I have seen videos of distance casters doing this 'jig' as well.

Anyway, he did a very impressive jig and I said "Nice dance!" Then I commented that this is a skill unto itself. Neither of us knew of a name for this 'keep the line out of your feet' jig. But since this is actually quite a skill, we thought it should have a name.

Does it have a name? If not we should give it one.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Casting term/name needed.

Haha! I've done that and usually turns out To be a disaster. Especially when Im wearing sneakers with big tongues that habitually catch line!
CAST DANCiNG or the fly rodders version of LINE DANCING.
Definitely a talent.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Casting term/name needed.

It's even better when standing on slippery stones with rubber boot-foots While I certainly don't know the name of it yet, I've been a not-so-adept practitioner on a number of occasions... cast dancing is a solid suggestion for sure.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The spaghetti jig?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
CAST DANCiNG or the fly rodders version of LINE DANCING.
Definitely a talent.
I like the line dancing one. Maybe solo line dancing.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:31 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The country & western folks already own line dancing. Hmmm, I smell a survey coming on.

Dave