The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Need help with shooting line (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/271353-need-help-shooting-line.html)

kdeutman 04-29-2012 11:12 PM

Need help with shooting line

Hi everyone, my name is Kevin and I'm extremely new to fly fishing. Unfortunately my grandfather passed a few months ago and I inherited his old shakespeare tru art fly reel. Thus resulting in my interest/obsession with fly fishing.

Okay, enough of the intro. I have been practicing my casting whenever I can but I have been coming across issues when it comes to shooting line. Whenever I pull out the line I want shoot and lay it in the water I have a hard time shooting any line. It seems like the water is putting tension on the line and keeping it from going anywhere. So to correct it I tried putting the slack line in loops and holding in my line hand. This makes it easier to shoot but the loops get tangled often keeping it from traveling and I am back where I started. I was fishing in a very small stream earlier today and seemed to always be 4 feet or so further than where I wanted to be. It was very frustrating.....

Also, is it weird that I can cast better without a fly. (as of now I am fishing for bass, so I have been using small poppers wooly buggers) When I am practicing in the field behind my house without a fly on the line it seems like I have more control and can get more distance but when I'm actually applying my casts on the water the tippet bundles up and it is more difficult to shoot line. I will try to post a video when I get a chance so I can troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here is a picture of a bass I caught with a froggy popper.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f221/kr3w68/bass1.jpg

wt bash 04-29-2012 11:27 PM

Re: Need help with shooting line

Whats happening man, that's a great bass there! Its hard to diagnose casting issues while in written form but for the bass bugs I would try a short leader of heavier mono, as far as shooting line you can try adding a haul or double haul to your casting stroke. Best bet is to check out youtube for a visual on what a haul is as its hard to explain in text. Its all a timiming thing and with practice you'll have one of those ah ha! moments where it all comes together. By the way welcome to the forum! You'll get some more in depth answers that will be more helpful than mine, but welcome to the addiction!

randyflycaster 04-30-2012 04:12 AM

I don't understand the problem you're having. Please rephrase. Also, the smaller the fly the easier it is to cast.

If a fly is too big for the weight of your fly line it will be difficult to cast.

Randy

kdeutman 04-30-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 440520)
Whats happening man, that's a great bass there! Its hard to diagnose casting issues while in written form but for the bass bugs I would try a short leader of heavier mono, as far as shooting line you can try adding a haul or double haul to your casting stroke. Best bet is to check out youtube for a visual on what a haul is as its hard to explain in text. Its all a timiming thing and with practice you'll have one of those ah ha! moments where it all comes together. By the way welcome to the forum! You'll get some more in depth answers that will be more helpful than mine, but welcome to the addiction!

Thanks! That bass was fun to catch with that auto reel. I was a actually going to start to learn how to haul today after class. Hopefully that will help get the line further. Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 440584)
I don't understand the problem you're having. Please rephrase. Also, the smaller the fly the easier it is to cast.

If a fly is too big for the weight of your fly line it will be difficult to cast.

Randy

Sorry, my explanation was terrible. Basically I don't know what to do with the slack line I pull from the reel that I want to shoot. When I leave it in the water and try to shoot some, the line will roll out all the way and instead of it taking the slack line with it the momentum is killed and the leader/tippet bundles up with no distance gained. Its like the tension of the water is keeping the line from going anywhere. So to correct it I tried to loop the slack line and keep it in my hand. I was able to shoot the line a little better without the water tension but the loops kept creating knots. Does it sound like a technique problem (which I would not doubt) or am I handling the line wrong?

Also I am using a 6wt line.

Thank you for the response.

Davo 04-30-2012 08:34 AM

Welcome to the forum!! Learning to haul will definitely serve you well. You will add distance and increase shooting ability. You mentioned that your line tends to pile at the end when your casting on the water vs the lawn. The end of the line and leader piling up on you is often the result of having an arch to you casting stroke. You want your rod tip and line to travel on the same level plane. To visualize this I refer you to a post where I put up some graphics. Go here and look for my post. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...help-cast.html

kdeutman 04-30-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo (Post 440610)
Welcome to the forum!! Learning to haul will definitely serve you well. You will add distance and increase shooting ability. You mentioned that your line tends to pile at the end when your casting on the water vs the lawn. The end of the line and leader piling up on you is often the result of having an arch to you casting stroke. You want your rod tip and line to travel on the same level plane. To visualize this I refer you to a post where I put up some graphics. Go here and look for my post. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...help-cast.html

Thank you for the welcome! I will get out and practice that haul today! Is the line piling resulting from having an arch the same as when the line rolls out completely straight and then snapping back causing the leader to pile? Sorry if that was confusing haha! That is a very nice visual. I will keep that in mind.

Davo 04-30-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdeutman (Post 440617)
Thank you for the welcome! I will get out and practice that haul today! Is the line piling resulting from having an arch the same as when the line rolls out completely straight and then snapping back causing the leader to pile? Sorry if that was confusing haha! That is a very nice visual. I will keep that in mind.

Not confusing at all. The answer is no!! The line straightening out and then popping back is the result with a stop cast. The line is being stopped so all the momentum comes back. This is a result of stopping the line from shooting out. Your obviously not doing that intentionally so I'm guessing something else is wrong. The line maybe bad or your guides are messed up somehow stopping the line from shooting. You mentioned not having trouble on the grass only on the water. Are you using a sinking line? That would make the water tension on your slack greater than the lines momentum and prevent shooting line.

kdeutman 04-30-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo (Post 440619)
Not confusing at all. The answer is no!! The line straightening out and then popping back is the result with a stop cast. The line is being stopped so all the momentum comes back. This is a result of stopping the line from shooting out. Your obviously not doing that intentionally so I'm guessing something else is wrong. The line maybe bad or your guides are messed up somehow stopping the line from shooting. You mentioned not having trouble on the grass only on the water. Are you using a sinking line? That would make the water tension on your slack greater than the lines momentum and prevent shooting line.

Okay, that is definitely my problem. I tried to say this in my original post but I guess it was poorly explained.

I have about 4 outings on the line and wiped the line down with clean water after each time. This is the line I am using:
Scientific Anglers Lefty Kreh Signature Series Fly Line, Lines & Backing, Fly Lines & Backing, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's

Yes most of my trouble is when I am on the water. Are you supposed to let the slack like float in the water or hold it in your hand. As mentioned earlier the line seems to want to shoot better with the line held in my hand but it gets too tangled and the knots hit the guides causing the same problem haha.

Davo 04-30-2012 09:34 AM

I always let the line collect on the water. It might help to get the hauling down to provide the momentum to pick it up off the water. Holding the slack in your hand is a skill I never mastered but there are anglers that use this method. Another option is to get a stripping basket. Also getting the majority of your line in the air by shooting it out slowly while false casting.

Maybe someone who uses the coiling in the hand methods will chime in with some advice.

kdeutman 04-30-2012 09:55 AM

I have been using the false casting method but it proves to be tiring after a while and sometimes the available back casting room is limited. Not to mention that reel is kinda heavy. Luckily I have been getting better with my roll casting. Thank you for all of your help!