The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Took a "Fly Fishing 101" Class today.... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/273351-took-fly-fishing-101-class-today.html)

fire instructor 05-05-2012 06:13 PM

Took a "Fly Fishing 101" Class today....

At the Orvis, Manchester, VT "Mothership". Worth every minute of my time. Below is the email I sent the Fishing Manager when I got home:

I just wanted to send you a quick note to tell you how pleased and satisfied I am, as a customer this afternoon, when I took my Fly-Fishing 101.

Much of my F/T career involves teaching adult learners, primarily firefighters and law enforcement officers, so I see some fairly “challenging” students. Your instructors were superb. They were immediately able to identify flaws in casting, and offer meaningful constructive suggestions and assistance for improvement, providing the purposeful information and techniques, and the instant gratification that adult learners look for. The indoor session was perfectly appropriate and helpful. I now finally understand leaders and tippets! Previously, I was adding 2’ to 3’ of tippet to brand new 9’ leaders, and then wondering why I was having problems managing 12’ of leader…..

I purchased my Clearwater II in Manchester last November (Black Friday), as the “old” 5-weights were disappearing fast. I figured that I’d have to teach myself how to use it, but today was exactly what the doctor ordered. Your instructors had me “shooting line” in twenty minutes. Something that I was PITIFUL at previously!

Now I have to figure out if I want a 7-weight or an 8-weight for salmon and steelhead, next, and then which one!!! But my coupon is good until August 31, so I have some time to do some research…..

Thank you again for the great experience. Now I have to check my calendar to see if I can squeeze in the 201 course this season.

mcnerney 05-05-2012 06:31 PM

Re: Took a "Fly Fishing 101" Class today....

Rick: Great to hear that the class helped so much with your casting!

gatortransplant 05-05-2012 08:25 PM

Glad you enjoyed the course Rick, looks like I'll be seeing you when the salmon start coming in and then for fall steelhead?

kayo 05-05-2012 08:35 PM

Rick, you've come a long way :clap:

Mnflyfish 05-06-2012 01:22 AM

come to minnesota and ill take ya fishin....you do my FF2?......lol

jpbfly 05-06-2012 02:56 AM

Glad you enjoyed the course Rick:)always useful to meet experienced anglers;)