The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Took a "Fly Fishing 101" Class today....

At the Orvis, Manchester, VT "Mothership". Worth every minute of my time. Below is the email I sent the Fishing Manager when I got home:

I just wanted to send you a quick note to tell you how pleased and satisfied I am, as a customer this afternoon, when I took my Fly-Fishing 101.

Much of my F/T career involves teaching adult learners, primarily firefighters and law enforcement officers, so I see some fairly “challenging” students. Your instructors were superb. They were immediately able to identify flaws in casting, and offer meaningful constructive suggestions and assistance for improvement, providing the purposeful information and techniques, and the instant gratification that adult learners look for. The indoor session was perfectly appropriate and helpful. I now finally understand leaders and tippets! Previously, I was adding 2’ to 3’ of tippet to brand new 9’ leaders, and then wondering why I was having problems managing 12’ of leader…..

I purchased my Clearwater II in Manchester last November (Black Friday), as the “old” 5-weights were disappearing fast. I figured that I’d have to teach myself how to use it, but today was exactly what the doctor ordered. Your instructors had me “shooting line” in twenty minutes. Something that I was PITIFUL at previously!

Now I have to figure out if I want a 7-weight or an 8-weight for salmon and steelhead, next, and then which one!!! But my coupon is good until August 31, so I have some time to do some research…..

Thank you again for the great experience. Now I have to check my calendar to see if I can squeeze in the 201 course this season.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Took a "Fly Fishing 101" Class today....

Rick: Great to hear that the class helped so much with your casting!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Glad you enjoyed the course Rick, looks like I'll be seeing you when the salmon start coming in and then for fall steelhead?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Rick, you've come a long way
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

come to minnesota and ill take ya fishin....you do my FF2?......lol
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you enjoyed the course Rickalways useful to meet experienced anglers