The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is considered a far cast?

The measurement used in comps I've been in are from the edge of the distance line you are standing behind to the fly. Some comps use the edge of the platform the caster stands on to the fly.
If you use the reel as a guide, won't the position of the reel affect the measured distance? A line at your toe is static and always a known.
Jis' Sayin'
Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
The measurement used in comps I've been in are from the edge of the distance line you are standing behind to the fly. Some comps use the edge of the platform the caster stands on to the fly.
If you use the reel as a guide, won't the position of the reel affect the measured distance? A line at your toe is static and always a known.
Jis' Sayin'
Exactly what I meant...I slightly misspoke..
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

hmmm I am by no means a expert caster, or cast for distance. I guess I can add 7-8' to my estimates of how far I cast. I've always just counted the amount of line out past the tip of the rod.

Sometimes I feel guilty counting the length of the leader I run to0. I thought when guys talked about how much linne they casted I discounted the leader and assumed "line cast" started at the tip of the last eye on your rod.

But when you small stream fish the only distance of importance is the distance from the fish to your net when he got away...aka the old long distance release
Old 05-13-2012, 04:06 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

This is always an interesting one for me. Being in the rod selling business, people always want to know "how far can this rod cast?" I never have an answer for them. To me, "casting" and "fishing" are two entirely different things. When I'm fishing, unless I'm in an open saltwater environment, 60'+ casts are rarely needed. Therefore, most anglers rarely get the opportunities to really work on "distance" casting. I think if an angler can cast 50-60', you're fishing with the best of them.

Now, if we're going to talk purely casting for the sake of casting, then things change. You often have a setup that is ideal for casting, not for presenting something to a fish. So, throwing a shooting head, or heavy weight forward line like a Rio Grande, with a relatively short leader and a piece of yarn, no wind, etc... Things are going to go a lot better for you.

In an indoor, ideal situation, I've thrown a 6'6" 3wt a measured 85' with a Rio Trout LT Double Taper. In the same situation, I threw a 9' 7wt 103' with a Rio Grand floater. I can say with full confidence that I have never done either of those distances with any rod while fishing. I doubt I've ever hit 80' out on the water.

So, there you have my long winded, anecdotal explanation.
mcnerney and shortyb like this.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 AM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: What is considered a far cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Reach the fish it's far enough!
I love that Lefty Kreh quote.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:40 AM

addni is on a distinguished road

Precisely. When I got some casting lessons from a FFF Master instructor, he battered that into me: Be able to cast to where the fish is, not the measuring tape.
Focus on good form, timing & presentation. The rest will automatically show up
Old 05-26-2012, 07:45 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by addni View Post
Precisely. When I got some casting lessons from a FFF Master instructor, he battered that into me: Be able to cast to where the fish is, not the measuring tape.
Focus on good form, timing & presentation. The rest will automatically show up
I wonder if he was one of the Master Certified Casting Instructors who entered the 5 weight casting competition at our annual FFF conclave where the distance portion was cause for bragging rights.

Sometimes it's just plain fun to cast for distance. Besides being a skill that takes practice to do well, it develops good form and is a skill that comes in mighty handy on many occasions. Besides, chicks dig it!

Ain't no downside to casting well.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Fisher:

There are two Lefty quotes that I like the best. The first was paraphrased by Jackster above.

Quote:
"There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far" - Lefty
The second (which applies to all of us at times regardless of abillity and experience - not just to new casters)

Quote:
"New casters work so hard that they tear their underwear and look like a monkey hoeing cabbage" - Lefty
Old 06-17-2012, 10:28 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

This makes me feel better. I'm completely self-taught and felt that my 70-75' casts were laughable.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 AM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road

Distance is measured from the casting line to the wool tag. Always the wool tag, which is bad luck if your cast has collapsed, which it often does in competition, especially with the tournement heads.

A good bench mark for distance are the instructors assessment distances. For the FFF it was 75' for my CCI and 85' for my MCCI. These had to have perfect turn over and had to look comfortable, ie, use a 'fishing casting stroke' not a distance technique.

Mike