The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is considered a far cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
For most people getting a cast that far consistantly does take a lot of work (notice I said 'for most people' DiverDan!)
I only know one that could do it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
If you really want to become an excellent distance caster, take it in steps. Build up a good, solid and correct foundation to work on and build from there. To see people double haul who don't have a nice basic stroke is almost painful. Get the basics down pat like proper acceleration, no slack, firms stops and tight, symmetrical loops and you could possibly hit the 80' mark without hauling.
When you get into distance casting you will find you will hit a wall and can't quite make that X distance. With practice and patience you will hit that distance repeatedly and with ease only to have the next longest cast rear its ugly head.
It's a fun trip for sure.
All good advice. Bill has worked hard to get to where he cracked the 130' mark. He is a natural, but it was hard work, and modifying his brain structure to be 95% casting dedicated, that got him there. (his words).

Last edited by Guest1; 07-25-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: bad spellin
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough

Some day perhaps I'll be impressive. At the moment being able to hit a sub-compact at 50-60 feet is darn good. I have yet to find a place in my fish chasing where there is room enough behind me to lay down more than 50 feet in front. Now granted, individual trips where I have landed fish (on the fly) can currently be counted without removing my shoes.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough

I used to be obsessed with distance before I figured out how to haul. Now whatever!
I think for the fishing I am doing it's more important to be able to pick up about 40/50' of line off the water and carry it in the air (without false casting) and lay it on the water with good presentation. Hauling dry flies to picky fish is hit and miss (I find) and your always having to recalculate your distance. I like to be able to manipulate my leader when dry fly fishing and make it "hook" fly first. This gets difficult with to much line out.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

When I was younger I tried for really long Casts when Lake Fishing,I don't know how far I can cast on Grass these Days,however as mentioned 50-60 ft is a good handy distance to cast as most fish are caught well within that range.
Ard hit The Nail on The Head when he said about Long Casts when Fishing Dry Flies as it's hard enough to see small Flies at 15-20 ft,especially in low light.
Most Fishermen who want distance & Swing Flies whilst Fishing use Switch or Spey Rods leaving The Long Distance Casting with Single Handed Rods to The Competition Guys,I know,I do.
Brian.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I still need to get a lot of distance. I cheated and got a really big spey rod, which I am going to be casting in about 20 minutes. Bye.
gatortransplant likes this.