The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default What is considered a far cast?

What would you all consider long casting with a 9 foot 5 weight and a DT5 line? Just curious...and how do you measure...from the reel to the end of the leader?

Not talking shooting heads or distance lines or any smoke and mirrors...just a run of the mill 5 weight and a DT5.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is considered a far cast?

80' is a good, long cast.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Coop,

With my 7' 9" 5 weight I can execute 75 - 80 foot with good accuracy and a respectable landing of a dry fly. This is done without any calisthenics and with relative ease, I consider that far. I have a 9' PM-10 5 weight that I can reach a little farther with but I believe the longer rod requires a tad more effort from me if I want to top 80.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 AM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Wow 80' looks like I got some work to do!
grassonfly likes this.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak allen View Post
Wow 80' looks like I got some work to do!
For most people getting a cast that far consistantly does take a lot of work (notice I said 'for most people' DiverDan!)
If you really want to become an excellent distance caster, take it in steps. Build up a good, solid and correct foundation to work on and build from there. To see people double haul who don't have a nice basic stroke is almost painful. Get the basics down pat like proper acceleration, no slack, firms stops and tight, symmetrical loops and you could possibly hit the 80' mark without hauling.
When you get into distance casting you will find you will hit a wall and can't quite make that X distance. With practice and patience you will hit that distance repeatedly and with ease only to have the next longest cast rear its ugly head.
It's a fun trip for sure.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

A far cast? As far as it needs to be: to the fish.

I can do about 65' shooting line. I probably can do more, but haven't tried.
wt bash likes this.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a casting clinic a few years ago and the instructor (Bob Clouser) asked the group of around 25 people for a show of hands as to how far they could cast.
I didn't notice what the average was, but only 2 of us raised their hands at 80 feet.
After Bob stared me down for a while he asked who could cast more than 80'.... no one raised their hands.
He went on to say that 80 feet is about as far as the average fly caster can expect reach in a fishing situation.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

The reason i initialy asked is that i am teaching a freind to cast. Hes been reading up on the subject and hears all this **** about casting over 100 feet and this and that. I have told him that they are not using a floating fly line let alone a double taper and figured maybe more opinions that my own could convince him. So what is the proper measuring distance anyways...from the reel right?

The most i can put out with a 5dt is about the length of the line. Backing somwhere between the reel and first or second guide, but for me thats a double hauled hero cast and not something i would use on the stream. A long fishing cast for me is closer to 70 ft and even then its hard to set the hook way out there.

Once i get past 70 or so i have to open the stroke for length and haul/double haul. Cast quality and acuracy are FAR more important to me. I would much rather be maxed out at 60 and never get tailing loops or torn loops etc...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The length I quoted would be from where my feet are at (next to a marker on the lawn) and the tip of the leader. I seldom have to cast that far to catch a fish and when I have hooked up at such a distance it is a dice shoot as to whether I'll land the fish.

With bigger rods and lines fishing for salmon and large trout I have a phobia about hooking fish on long casts. I've had fish grab a fly at 40 feet and before you know it have turned down river pulling the entire 120 foot line with and are deep into the backing. If this were to happen at a distance of 100' as a starting point I figure I would have had that fly line and backing broke off my reel years ago.

I do my best to keep things short & manageable, I only offered the original answer because you ask

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

A far cast is...when you miss most of the fish that rise on your dry
mcnerney, oarfish and tbblom like this.