The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Distance Casting

I competed in both of the Rocky Mountain Masters events, I did well until the finals of fishing when Frank managed to catch a fourth fish with 5 minutes left in the round. I caught over 30 fish that were over 20 inches but my partner while walking was dragging his fly and caught a 12" first fish so we knew we needed 25" plus. I could only get 23".

We defeated Chris Korich and his partner in the fishing who are famous Golden Gate casters. They Dominated the casting but when we hit the water we won that flight. We were the 8th seed (last place) fishing against the first seed team and we did really well and sent them back to CA.

Chis is an awesome caster (as were all the guys from the GGCC) and he was more than willing to help out and give quality advice. Clearly they did not want to compete against the Raejeffs.

It was a fairly good venue but it came down to money so they cancelled it.

John Barrett of Barret Productions and maker of FFtW set it up, sad it ended, it was a blast.

One competitor that could not make it to the finals at either event was none other than my dentist..and the Captain of the US fly fishing team, Anthony Naranja.

The one thing I like about these competitions is the great knowledge and info you can get from your fellow flailers.

Has anyone seen this new one? ALL CAST TEAM FLY CASTING CHAMPIONSHIPS | All Cast Fly Casting Championships

I may try and hit this, but no fishing.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Cochise I agree with you that the knowledge you gain from these competitions is second to none. I also like the comradery! I competed in the 02 ESPN Fly Fishing Classic and John Barrett runs a good show and is a pleasure to know. Lot of fun meeting all these terrific fishermen from all over the country!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
It was a fairly good venue but it came down to money so they cancelled it.

John Barrett of Barret Productions and maker of FFtW set it up, sad it ended, it was a blast.
I always figured Barrett got star struck when he realized he could fish all over the world with stars in one field or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Has anyone seen this new one? ALL CAST TEAM FLY CASTING CHAMPIONSHIPS | All Cast Fly Casting Championships

I may try and hit this, but no fishing.
The fishing was the major reason I lost interest in competitions. The casting qualifier was all 100% skill and talent. Luck played very little in how you did. The fishing... not so much. Besides, I fly fish to have fun and forget the competitive world for a while. To compete in fly fishing just goes against the grain of why I do it. I'm glad to see pure casting as a contest.
I would like to see a resurgence of casting clubs in cities throughout the United States like they had in the 1940's and '50's. We'll have a tough time of it now though with competition from pro sports where all you need do as a 'participant' is sit in front of the tube and change channels.
imxer likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the reason for the ranking system?
ĽA number #4 ranking averages 0 to 40 feet on a controlled distance cast.
ĽA number #5 ranking averages 50 to 60 feet on a controlled distance cast.
ĽA number #6 ranking averages 60 to 70 feet on a controlled distance cast.
ĽA number #7 ranking averages 70 to 80 feet on a controlled distance cast.
ĽA number #8 ranking averages 80 to 90 feet on a controlled distance cast.
ĽA number #9 ranking averages 90 to 100 feet on a controlled distance cast.
ĽA number #10 ranking averages 100 + feet on a controlled distance cast.
Are they handicapping this to give 'shorter' casters a chance against real distance casters? Do they break this into seperate events by ranking so people don't get blown away by some real distance caster?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Yes DD, this is the idea. The Denver one was cancelled and I am not going to make it to UT because of a conflict. It may die before I can get to one to try it out.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it but the whole PC police 'fixing' things are not going to make things better. It will kill these kinds of things. I don't understand the whole race to mediocrity philosophy.
imxer likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Agreed, Dan!

If they really wanted to generate enthusiasm among youngsters, why not have several age ranges like most other organized sports?

Quote:
I don't understand the whole race to mediocrity philosophy.
It's called "The New World Order" in which individualism and competition must be eliminated.

What I'm curious about is what exactly is a "controlled" distance cast.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
What I'm curious about is what exactly is a "controlled" distance cast.
In distance casting it's hard to fudge the results. When you throw in a subjective qualifier like 'controlled cast' it's a call by somebody as to whether the cast meets their opinion of a good cast.
Unless I'm missing something, in distance casting all that should matter is how far the cast went within a lane.
Perhaps the best way to have a competition is like the Tampa Bay fly fishing club does and hold your own. I'm going to shoot for one this year with our local IFFF club and perhaps next year at the regional councils annual fly fishing festival.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I agree with you double D. Either you can cast 140 feet or you can't. I am not a distance caster. 80' is a great cast for me and I doubt I will ever see 100'. I hate drag racing since they went to bracket racing. These guys will build a fast car and then detune to stay in a bracket. Who cares!!!.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Devin Olsen, Travis Ruiz, some of my homies. I'm surprised Lance Egan isn't in it.
Good luck to all, but it's not my cup of tea. But I have to say this, Devin and Trav are both excellent casters and fishermen. Devin has been on the U.S. Fly Fishing Team the past couple years. Utah Dave should be casting here too.
I'm sure Cochise knows Devin and Lance.