The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 PM

steely is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Competition Fly Casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can locate information on fly casting competitions; ideally in the Pennsylvania / New York area. I've found the casting aspect of fly fishing to be almost as enjoyable as the catching/landing of fish, would like to hone my casting skills and figure that, for me, competition may be the best way to do that.

Pocono
When you say you would like to hone your casting skills, I get the impression you arent a expert caster? How far can you cast with a 5-7 weight rod? If it is under 75 feet, then maybe you should work on your casting skills explicitly and work on getting a CI? A lot of the people who are in the casting competitions have their certified casting certifications already.

Also, it is my understanding that most people at casting competitions can cast at least 100 feet with a 5 weight rod.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Fishn50,

Allan Johnson is the person that I contacted. Thanks for the positive feedback on his casting instruction. I think that this is a step in the right direction for me. I'll find out soon enough.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
When you say you would like to hone your casting skills, I get the impression you arent a expert caster? How far can you cast with a 5-7 weight rod? If it is under 75 feet, then maybe you should work on your casting skills explicitly and work on getting a CI? A lot of the people who are in the casting competitions have their certified casting certifications already.

Also, it is my understanding that most people at casting competitions can cast at least 100 feet with a 5 weight rod.
You're definitely correct; I am not an expert caster. I started fly fishing last April, so I'm still relatively new to the sport.

Thanks for the input on the CI program/certification.

At present, I'm casting my 5 wt. in the 70-80' range. Yes, there's a lot of line between that and 100', I realize that. And there's also a lot of line between that and what Steve Rajeff can cast at 120+'. But I am interested in competition casting, so I figure that an early start in the right direction might not be the worst approach for me. I'm casting daily up here in the Poconos; on the snow, so I think that my motivation is probaby where it needs to be. Now I think that I need some instruction on how to improve my skills; before I develop too many bad habits.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
You're definitely correct; I am not an expert caster. I started fly fishing last April, so I'm still relatively new to the sport.

Thanks for the input on the CI program/certification.

At present, I'm casting my 5 wt. in the 70-80' range. Yes, there's a lot of line between that and 100', I realize that. And there's also a lot of line between that and what Steve Rajeff can cast at 120+'. But I am interested in competition casting, so I figure that an early start in the right direction might not be the worst approach for me. I'm casting daily up here in the Poconos; on the snow, so I think that my motivation is probaby where it needs to be. Now I think that I need some instruction on how to improve my skills; before I develop too many bad habits.
HEY! I cast in the snow too! I love the snow much better than grass. Especially wet grass. Screws up your line. If you dont have a casting pond IMO snow is the second best.

Did the person you contacted impress upon you the importance of a expert to give you a proper fundamental casting stroke? Dont want to engrain any bad habits!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:46 PM

Default Hey Pocono!!

I hope to see you at a certain sexy forum with people with sexy loops com (where if you havent noticed anytime someone has a tutorial on casting it comes from this sexy forum!!)
Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
HEY! I cast in the snow too! I love the snow much better than grass. Especially wet grass. Screws up your line. If you dont have a casting pond IMO snow is the second best.

Did the person you contacted impress upon you the importance of a expert to give you a proper fundamental casting stroke? Dont want to engrain any bad habits!
Yes, the person that I contacted did stress the importance of a sound fundamental casting stroke. He also runs a casting school and offers 1 and 2 days courses in basic and advanced casting. Bad habits? I'm sure that I've picked up my share, but I'll work to minimize them going forward.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:27 PM

Fly Guyusa will become famous soon enoughFly Guyusa will become famous soon enough

I spend some time in the Poconos spring and fall. I am an FFF certified fly casting instructor and may be able to help you.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 PM

Crunchbird is on a distinguished road

From where you are I would definitely look up George Daniel. He is a medal winner and coach of the US Jr Team. I took a nymphing class with him and he is great. He works out of TCO State College PA and he is worth the trip.

Here are a few pieces on him:

George Daniel, Head Coach

George began fly fishing at age 6 while growing up in Potter County, PA and credits Joe Humphreys for the bulk of his knowledge along with many national and international industry professionals. George has been seen on ESPN and OLN while competing in the Great Outdoor Games and the Fly Fishing Masters and is a certified FFF Fly Casting Instructor. George is currently the Ast Manager for the State College TCO Fly Shop and is director of education for the store. George resides in Lock Haven, PA with his wife Amidea and their two dogs that answer to the names of Baetis and Madison.

Some of George's accomplishments include:

* 3rd place fishing (team) 2003 Fly Fishing Masters
* 1st place Casting Competition 2004 OLN Fly Fishing Masters
* 1st place-2005 Pocono Manor Casting Compeition
* Bronze Medal-2005 Oregon Trials FF Team USA
* Bronze Medal-2006 Fresno Trials FF Team USA
* Gold Medal-2006 Michigan Trials FF Team USA
* Gold Medal Team -2006 National FF Championships
* 8th Place individually-2006 National FF Championships
* 5th Place (individually) 2006 World FF Championships, Portugal
- Second highest individual finish in US history!
* George was also selected to compete in the 2007 World Fly Fishing Championships, Finland!! where the USA Team finished 6th out of 23 Countries.
* George was among the Coaching Staff for the 2007 Youth World FF
Championships, State College, PA
* Won the 2007 OLN FF Masters!
* Gold Medal-2008 US National Fly Fishing Champion
* Elected to Compete to the 2008 World Fly Fishing Championships
* Contract tier for Riverborn Flies

George Daniel National Fly-Fishing Champ

Sunday, October 14, 2007 - By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Drought conditions that turned Rocky Mountain rivers into Pennsylvania-style streams gave Lock Haven, Pa.'s George Daniel the edge he needed to win the gold medal at the 2008 U.S. National Fly Fishing Championship Oct. 4-6 in Boulder, Colo.

Daniel, a pro angler who works at the TCO Fly Shop in State College and has presented casting demos in this area, out-fished 70 challengers on Colorado's Big Thompson and Poudre rivers, and two lakes.

"The thing that got me the win was ... they're having a drought," said Daniel, "extremely low, low water and the trout were extremely spooky. Those rivers were just like creeks in the east. A lot of those western guys are used to banging out 20 or 30 fish an hour; this was producing one to three fish in two hours. You had to fish slowly, thoroughly, in one or two passes, like in creeks around home."

With a first-place showing, Daniel won a spot on the U.S. fly-fishing team that will compete in the world championship, held in March 2008, in New Zealand.

Heather Seitz, an 18-year-old graduate of Hampton High School, placed 62nd of 70 a few days before undergoing hip surgery. Seitz, who competed in international competition this year with the U.S. Youth World Fly-Fishing Team, plans to try out for the team again in 2008.

George Daniel - TCO State College:

George began fly fishing at age 6 while growing up in Potter County, PA and credits Joe Humphreys for the bulk of his knowledge along with many national and international industry professionals. George has been seen on ESPN and OLN while competing in the Great Outdoor Games and the Fly Fishing Masters and is a certified FFF Fly Casting Instructor

Some of George's accomplishments include:

3rd place fishing (team) 2003 Fly Fishing Masters
1st place Casting Competition 2004 OLN Fly Fishing Masters
Bronze Medal-2005 Oregon Trials FF Team USA
Bronze Medal-2006 Fresno Trials FF Team USA
Gold Medal-2006 Michigan Trials FF Team USA
Gold Medal Team -2006 National FF Championships
8th Place individually-2006 National FF Championships
5th Place (individually) 2006 World FF Championships, Portugal
- Second highest individual finish in US history!
George was also selected to compete in the 2007 World Fly Fishing Championships, Finland!!
where the USA Team finished 6th out of 23 Countries.
George was among the Coaching Staff for the 2007 Youth World FF Championships, State College, PA
Won the 2007 OLN FF Masters!
George's Clinics & Lessons - 2007

Czech/Long Line Nymphing Seminar
with George Daniel February 2nd
SOLD OUT
Whether Punxatany Phil sees his shadow or not, one thing is inevitable…high water in the spring!! It’s that time of year to begin thinking about and preparing for nymphing the fast-deep water conditions the early season usually presents the angler. Why not break the monotony putting heavy split shot on the leader and begin tying/fishing with a whole new series of flies that quickly penetrate the water column and simply catch more fish in areas where most fly fishers would overlook. After taking the seminar, anglers will suddenly find themselves fishing water they never thought possible of fishing. Czech nymphing utilizes simple patterns and simplified fly fishing techniques and is fun and easy to learn by anyone.

George will show one of his professionally edited nymphing videos demonstrating the Czech Nymphing in both Eastern and Western waters.

George will explain/demonstrate nymphing rigs for various types of water and show you some of the tricks he has picked up from some of the World’s best nymph fly fishers.

George will tie for you his favorite Czech style nymphs for fishing East or West. These patterns are simple but deadly! You will find yourself catching more fish and spending less time behind the vice.
Note: All students will receive a 10% discount off all merchandise and/or a free fly line with any rod/reel purchase. This offer is only good for the day of the class.

Cost: $60 (Sold Out) email George for more dates: George Daniel
Class Size: Limit to 10 Students
Time: 10:00 to 2:00

George also offers private lessons, please contact him by email at George Daniel or at the State College Store, 814.689.3654

Catch one of George's Speaking Engagements:

Date Location
November 10th, 2007 Erie Ultimate Angler
December 8th, 2007 TCO State College Streamer Clinic
December 9th, 2007 Lock Haven University Commencement Speaker
January 4-6th, 2008 The Fly Fishing Show: Denver, CO
January 18-20th, 2008 The Fly Fishing Show: Marlborough, MA
January 25-27th, 2008 Somerset Fly Fishing Show
February 4th, 2008 Delco Manning Trout Unlimited Chapter, PA
February 8th, 2008 The Fly Fishing and Wing Shooting Show: Charlotte, NC
February 16th, 2008 Ramsey’s Outdoor Cabin Fever Show: Paramus, NJ
February 23rd, 2008 Gateway Lodge Fly Fishing Weekend, PA
March 8th, 2008 TCO Reading - Spring Celebration
April 7th, 2008 FFF Club - Twin Tiers Five Rivers Chapter
May 17-18th, 2008 McKeever Environmental Center, PA
June Masters School of Fly Fishing: Spruce Creek, PA
TBA Harrisburg Fly Fishers’ Luncheon Speaker
TBA Cleveland Trout Club
TBA Erie Casting Club

Book at Lesson with George
If you would like to book a Class or Lesson with George, email him at George Daniel or call him at the TCO State College Store - 814.689.3654