The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Competition Fly Casting

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can locate information on fly casting competitions; ideally in the Pennsylvania / New York area. I've found the casting aspect of fly fishing to be almost as enjoyable as the catching/landing of fish, would like to hone my casting skills and figure that, for me, competition may be the best way to do that.

Pocono
Old 12-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Competition Fly Casting

"Google" it and you will find an abundance of info.

I have to ask though, why not just practice, practice, practice with someone in your area who is very good at it?

Nothing against competition casting, but if you want to hone your skills, then why not have a personal(sp) coach to help point out the areas where you can improve your technique to gain distance and accuracy.

Fishing and distance casting are 2 very different things.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-24-2007, 07:55 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Competitions are a hoot! A lot of people think it's only a distance game. That's not usually true. More weight is given to accuracy than distance in many games.
I would check with the FFF Fly fishing information for everyone for like-minded souls in your area.
Casting comps will only improve your fishing skills.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:05 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

look up floyd frank, in the catskills he has a casting comp. setup for young and old.. I am putting something together in the back 40 for this year..distamce, accuracy, around and over obstacles...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

You might want to check out the "Best of the West" competition. They use 5wt rods and this year the new SA Sharkskin line will be available if the competitors want to use it. It will be interesting to see if the Sharkskin line adds any distance this year. Here is a link to the "Best of the West" rules. Here is a link to videos showing the winning toss.

Frank
Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

The American Casting Association has regional casting tournaments, but you
have to be a member of on of their clubs. You can log on to their website for
more info.

Randy Kadish
Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

All,

Thanks for the feedback. I have contacted the ACA, have joined and am now looking forward to getting involved in casting competitions. I will also contact the references provided.

For me, I think that this is the right way to improve my casting distance and accuracy. Some of you have opined that it's really not fishing, and I know that. But I also know that for me, competition has always been my biggest ally in improving my performance. So, I'll give it a try. Right now I'm looking at it as a "backyard" sport and I don't intend that it will ever substitute for a good day's fly fishing.

Merry Christmas to all.

Pocono
Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 AM

steely is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can locate information on fly casting competitions; ideally in the Pennsylvania / New York area. I've found the casting aspect of fly fishing to be almost as enjoyable as the catching/landing of fish, would like to hone my casting skills and figure that, for me, competition may be the best way to do that.

Pocono
If I were you I would go to the federation of fly fishers (FFF) web site and find a MA casting instructor.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Thanks all, for the posts. I've just made contact with a former ACA competion caster in my area (within 100 miles) and hope to be able to get some instruction from him this Spring. If anyone else on this forum is interested in this topic (competition casting), I'll be sure to keep you posted on how this works out; particularly for those of you in the PA, NY and NJ areas.

Best,

Pocono
Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Pocono
Who did you contact in the area? I don't Competition cast But I have taken lessons from Allen Johnson here in NJ. He's A patient & good instructor & helped me straighten out some casting problems. Our T.U. chapter gives Free beginners casting instructions at the Pequest state hatchery & he got us all on the same page as instructors, sort of like a train the trainer. he's usually at The Somerset FF show so look him up if you get there.

Fishn50.