The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default A little double haul help. Please?

Well i finally learned how to double haul today after tons of practice i finally got it. Now i seem to have a problem of getting a wind knot whenever im on the foward haul?/cast it dosnt do it when i do a regular cast but when i start double hauling it the fly drops below the line and gets into a windknot what am i doing wrong here?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A little double haul help. Please?

If you overpower the rod, which a haul can contribute to if you're not careful, the tip flexes a bunch and the tip ends up traveling in a concave path which causes wind knots. Try to drive the rod tip and line up a little more in the back cast and then forward. That usually keeps the loop in the proper shape.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Hey streamwalker...I've had the same problem (still do ) and, at least in my case txshane is exactly right...

There are a bunch of old threads about tailing loops that address this in excrutiating detail. If you search or just look back in "the fly cast" I'm sure you'll find more info than you can stand.

Good luck...I can keep mine at bay, but really have to concentrate to do it. Probably should either fish more (uh huh) or practice (ugh).

-Mike
Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

i will try this out tomorrow thanks for the advice. and i either fish or practice in the yard every day of the week lol...i at least fish 4 days a week
Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

This used to happen to me alot, especcially when I went from a 7 wt. to a 5 wt. In fact, I still have a hint of the problem when I make the switch on the water. Usually it can be solved for me by slowing down the cast and concentrating on technique rather than power. A double haul cast should not be any faster than a regular cast I think (but don't quote me on it), instead it should be more finesse. Timing is key and the coordination of power makes or breaks the cast.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Don't haul until the very end of the cast. And use a bigger casting "angle" if that alone doesn't work - 2:30 to 9:30.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Just like in all sports, the key is smoooooth acceleration. Start slow end w/ power..(for the big casts)..But that is the bottom line, smooth acceleration....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Point #5 in the 5 Essentials I sent you. Remember, fast causes problems that can be complex to diagnose and fix. If you go too slowly the simple remedy is to speed up.
Practice one haul at a time with the rod held out as in a side arm cast. You're going to swing the rod left and right in front of you as I did at the park. Slowly swing the rod and wait to haul until the rod is at least past your 12:00 position (You will eventually move that 12:00 start of the haul further and further towards the very end of the stroke) Pause, consider what you did and go in the other direction. Take your time to get the basics down pat. It will reward you later with a nice, well rounded foundation to build on. Once you firmly have the basic motions down combine the left and right stroke... cast, pause a small bit and haul, feed line back and get ready for the next stroke, rinse and repeat. Once you have nice, tight parallel loops and can carry with the side strokes bring it up more overhead and you're good to go with real world practice. This may take some time. Sometimes longer than you would like to get right but once you do you are on your way to hit that 100' tree.
You have the makings of a top-notch fly caster. But please don't rush it.
Nature forces children to learn this valuable lesson. They have to crawl before they stand, stand well before they walk and walk before they run. Kids have no choice in the matter. When we get older we sometimes think we can skip the basics and that leads to a whole lot of unlearning and relearning.
Enjoy the ride!
fishindave likes this.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

As some above have said, you're likely applying power too hard and too early in your casting stroke.

Focus on accelerating more smoothly with your casting stroke, and hauling later.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

txshane got it right.
I find if I slow my double haul down (... don't over power the rod) I have less chance of getting wind knots.
Work on your timing by slowing it down and get the 'feel' of it then slowly increase your speed/power.
I also find that since switching to furuled leaders I have less wind knots...not sure why just do.