The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Red face My rod tried to use ME as the bate!!

So I supose I'm a lucky guy. I went fishing Saturday morning and didn't catch anything, but 5 hours dissappeared that I couldn't account for so i'm betting it was a good time. Saturday evening my wife asked me "Are you going fishing in the morning?". My response was a tad less than intelligent..."uuuuuuh, you'd let me? I'd, um...". She had a brunch planned so she WANTED me to go. How cool is that?

Anyway, I'm a newbie so I stopped by the local fly shop. I am currently learning how to tie my own flies, but as I told the guys at the shop, I wanted to get some flies so I could keep fishing in the mean time. They have starter boxes there but were out of the boxes for Small mouth. I asked him to pick out some flies that would help me get some fish on the line.

I have the feeling that the ones chosen are a little heavy for my set-up. I currently have a 8'6" medium 5wt loaded with WFF. It is one of the combo's from Bass-Pro, White River I believe. They had also picked out a bass leader, so I tied on a 8lb tapered leader and some 3X tippet. The first one didn't cast too bad, but the other 2 flies and the streamer were a nightmare. As I would build the cast the leader looked like a windmill blade with the line-leader connection as the axle.

The second fly I put on was kindove a cone head wolly looking fella. Once I got the line out to about 15 yards or so it smacked me in the face on the back cast and hooked my glasses (thank god). The minnow on 2 casts hooked both my hat and glasses strap on the forward cast, so it didn't stay on my line for long. That cone head took a lot of effort to get it to track with the line, but I was able to trick a 7-8" smallie to take it even though it was hitting the water like a bridge collapse. I also caught a 17" Channel Catwith the first fly, so the day was still enjoyable. I just had to keep an eye out for rogue streamers!

So after my long winded story, my question is: should I work on putting extra energy into the cast, or tie smaller versions of the flies given. I haven't had any of these troubles with flies in the 12-16 range on my 5wt. I don't know the size of flies they gave me (the hooks had perhaps a 3/16-1/4" gap), but they said with thicker leader and tippet that my rod could handle them (I'm in doubt). I'm also keeping my eyes open for some heavier gear, 7-8wt range. For the moment my preference is to change enough to get this working on the 5wt. I married an accountant after all, my allowance is only so big.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My rod tried to use ME as the bate!!

It might not be bad to use unweighted streamers till you get better at casting. They cast a bit better and also are less likely to break your rod if they hit it.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
It might not be bad to use unweighted streamers till you get better at casting. They cast a bit better and also are less likely to break your rod if they hit it.
I hadn't thought of that. I'll need to look at the rod this evening. I do remember at least 2 instances of them smacking or deflecting off of the rod. Not the best sound of the morning.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully no damage to your rod! Glad you didn't get hurt either. A good argument for sunglasses. To work on your cast use unweighted or lightly weighted flies. Heavy flies require adjustments to your cast so learn the basic cast first then add the weight.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Feel your pain ! My son and I were on a guided trip and being a good Dad I let him fish from the bow to get the best presentations. Little did I realize that his overhead cast tends to veer right(he's a righty and we were casting towards shore. After getting hit in the back of the head 8 or 9 times with a Clouser I decided that for the duration of the trip I would fish the bow. Saved my head and my cool and we both still caught a bunch!

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Don't get me wrong my son is an excellent caster super tight loops and great accuracy he just tends to let his arm drift a bit farther than most on his backcast.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM

montanawildoutdoors is on a distinguished road

I would say just more practice. The big flies may be a little too much for your 5wt. Do you have much experience throwing big streamers?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The understated and less obvious value of the eye protection of your sunglasses is priceless.

Your suggestions I think are right on. Try some some smaller or lighter flies and work on your casting. Once you get that down a little better, try some of the heavier flies. Those heavy weighted fly might take some tweaking of your cast. I have found this to be true after casting a fly rod for years. Granted I am not the greatest caster but far from horrible. Chi flyfisher may tell you otherwise Congrats on landing a few!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanawildoutdoors View Post
I would say just more practice. The big flies may be a little too much for your 5wt. Do you have much experience throwing big streamers?
No, no experience yet. This weekend was my first experience with the streamer bob-n-weave. I've ordered some streamer hooks in sizes 8 - 12 to tie up for some experimentation. I guess we'll see how that goes. I'm liking the idea of larger bass, so I think I'll keep my eyes open for one of those Scientific Angler combo's in 7/8wt.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
The understated and less obvious value of the eye protection of your sunglasses is priceless.

Your suggestions I think are right on. Try some some smaller or lighter flies and work on your casting. Once you get that down a little better, try some of the heavier flies. Those heavy weighted fly might take some tweaking of your cast. I have found this to be true after casting a fly rod for years. Granted I am not the greatest caster but far from horrible. Chi flyfisher may tell you otherwise Congrats on landing a few!
One of the few advantages to wearing glasses. I always have eye protection. Plus I work in a factory, so my glasses have to conform to ANSI safety standards. Your right though, I'm still in that phase of trying something new each time. I'm still hoping each cast will be that lightning bolt cast where everything clicks, and I cast perfect forever more. Well... Maybe not.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:33 AM

sobotkg is on a distinguished road

First off, you are very lucky! I am in school / engaged / getting ready to move so my life is a mess right now! I am lucky to go once every two months. I guess that is my only point.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Hopefully no damage to your rod! Glad you didn't get hurt either. A good argument for sunglasses. To work on your cast use unweighted or lightly weighted flies. Heavy flies require adjustments to your cast so learn the basic cast first then add the weight.
+1 to the above. With a rod of that length and line weight you won't be tossing a huge or heavy fly until you get a lot of "time in grade" casting wise. Don't forget to keep the rod canted out 5-10 degrees to keep those pesky flies off the back of your head.