The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Side-arm cast woes -- need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster
The added mass of more line helps but should be coupled with enough line speed in a straight line path to really have the line want to feed back.
Turbine,

That is the key and what the illustrations that Silver put up are all about. I would even go so far as to change "should" to "must" as far as a"relatively' straight line tip path is concerned.

So how do you know if you are achieving a relatively straight line path and stopping hard enough? By the results. And the fastest way to know what the results are is obviously to look at them. You do not need to try to watch the actual rod tip to see if it's straight. It will never be perfectly straight, and it's too hard to see anyway. The results are what you are after.

So I would suggest standing sideways and casting horizontally. That way you can see your rod while casting it, and simply watch the loop from its formation to its turnover. You can see the results of a hard stop (really hard stop, extremely hard stop, ludricous hard stop), or a shortened or lengthened casting stroke as they are occurring while false casting.

You can experiment with stroke length, hard stop, soft stop , no stop, acceleration, force and, lastly, the haul, to instantly see their affects on the loop and each individual turnover. In short, you can "experiment" and see the results immediately.

As with all experiments, change only one thing at a time to see its effect on the outcome.

In other words, play with your cast but watch what's happening as it is occurring. If you have a short WFF line, use that with just the head and a few feet of running line out the tip. So you're only talking 36 feet of fly line. Put some yarn or small strip of rag onto a short leader first. This (the short head) will help you to "feel" the results that you are looking at. Don't be afraid to use a heavier WFF line than the one the rod is intended for during this process.

Don't go for distance, (at least until the end of your practice session ) go for quality and control. Jackster has said this repeatedly on this forum many times in many ways but all for the same reason. It is the only way that works.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 07-24-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quality >> Quantity it is!

Thank you all again for the great advice and vids, etc. All of this stuff is sage to me -- I'm totally new to it. I've actually printed these posts for quick reference.

Going up one fly line size is something I've thought about for 2 reasons: 1. because I practiced first on a guide's rod which was "upweighted" for beginners to learn the feel and 2. because the fly line on my rod is "okay", but is basically the line that comes on a reel when you buy a $150 beginner combo. I'd also like to have a fly line with premade loops on both ends for simplicity.

Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Quality >> Quantity it is!

Thank you all again for the great advice and vids, etc. All of this stuff is sage to me -- I'm totally new to it. I've actually printed these posts for quick reference.

Going up one fly line size is something I've thought about for 2 reasons: 1. because I practiced first on a guide's rod which was "upweighted" for beginners to learn the feel and 2. because the fly line on my rod is "okay", but is basically the line that comes on a reel when you buy a $150 beginner combo. I'd also like to have a fly line with premade loops on both ends for simplicity.

Thanks again!
SA's Headstart line is a great option. Its a half weight heavy, and very front end loaded to both shoot better and turn over the fly with force. To be honest I've recommended it for years because its $30 cheaper than the rest of their Mastery lines, but never owned one until recently.

I got one and fished it Saturday and its rather awesome. It does all that well, and has loops on both ends.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 AM

sobotkg is on a distinguished road

It is a learning process that will go on for a while. I have only been fly fishing for a few years but I have taken a few classes and I notice changes in how I cast from month to month.