The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   double hauling on a stream/river (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/292157-double-hauling-stream-river.html)

chauncey 07-24-2012 02:20 PM

double hauling on a stream/river

Is double hauling only good for lake/open water style fishing? Seems like doing it on a river would mean that the fly could be caught in a slower current while the fly line is caught in faster current causing the fly to be pulled in an unnatural drift.

Is this assumption wrong?

mysticm 07-24-2012 02:59 PM

Re: double hauling on a stream/river

I am confused by your posting. Double hauling is a technique to gain line speed during the aerial casting stroke (back cast & forward cast). It has nothing to do with affecting the drag on the line due to conflicting currents in the water.

I can see that an effective double haul could allow an angler to reach farther spots on the water which could lead to the fly and the remainder of the line being in conflicting currents.

I tend to avoid fishing long distances due to the above issue. However, I have used a double haul to gain accuracy (higher line speed = less effect from any wind gusts) while driving fly under a low tree branch across the stream. But such cases tend to be limited to streamers where drag is not a big issue (unless one is dead drifting them).

chauncey 07-24-2012 03:14 PM

Yeah thats what I was getting at, seems like the greater distance could lead to presentation issues when casting across multiple currents. Sorry for the confusing post.

silver creek 07-24-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chauncey (Post 473110)
Yeah thats what I was getting at, seems like the greater distance could lead to presentation issues when casting across multiple currents. Sorry for the confusing post.

It is not the hauling that is the problem. It is choosing the wrong position from which to cast, which then results in casting across varying current seams.

Double hauling actually helps in casts to reduce drag. The bounce cast is one method and to do the bounce cast you put excess energy into the cast, hence the advantage of a double haul.

Reach mends require a bit of line shoot to place the fly in the right place. The mend which is on the diagonal is always longer than the direct path to the target. A puddle cast and a pile cast (pile cast is a tuck cast done with a bushy dry fly) also require some excess energy and/or line shoot.

The ability to add energy to the cast with a proper amount of haul is never a disadvantage. Consider that if you are in the situation that you cannot get closer to a large feeding fish. If you going to catch it, you must make a long cast. To add slack to the cast, you need to be able to put extra line into the cast to provide the cast. A double haul allows you to add extra line into the cast to provide a longer drag free drift.

wjc 07-25-2012 11:21 PM

The double haul is well worth learning, as Silver pointed out, for a wide variety of casts on rivers and streams that , even if not impossible to do without double hauling, are certainly much easier with the double haul.

By varying the haul, you are able to add a whole new dimension of control over the line and what you are able to do with it.

BigCliff 07-26-2012 07:36 AM

The harm isn't in double hauling itself, but rather fishing from the wrong spot and having more issues with getting a good drift because of it. Generally speaking, I try to position myself downstream and to the side of where I'm trying to drift my fly, and within 30' of it. Any further than that and you'll often be overwhelmed by constantly fighting drag.

I constantly recommend this DVD because it does a great job of showing the importance of positioning in order to best fish a given spot-

Jackster 07-26-2012 09:08 AM

The double haul can also take a lot of the wear and tear off of your casting arm in any fishing situation.

utah daveii 07-26-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chauncey (Post 473103)

Is this assumption wrong?

A lot of good ansers above, but the short answer is yes! You are confusing double hauling with the ability to cast far, whcih it is certainly needed to reach the farthest distances. As others have said double hauling is a tool with many applications.

Although loop size is controlled by another action, it is certainly easier to control loop size if you are a competent hauler. Accuracy improves, line speed improves and casting into the wind improves. As others above have pointed out. The only negative of double hauling would be to use it to throw too long of casts instead of getting into proper casting position or properly mending your line while in the air.

Hope that helps.

Dave