The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 AM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New caster problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobotkg View Post
Definitely get to water. Even if there are no fish. The tension of the water on the line changes the resistance experienced by the rod.

I wondered about that. I will try as soon as possible.

Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobotkg View Post
Definitely get to water. Even if there are no fish. The tension of the water on the line changes the resistance experienced by the rod.
I don't like grass because it causes wear and micro cuts on the fly line, but with a used fly line and a "grass leader," one can simulate the "feel" of water resistance. Make up a few for teaching the roll cast.

Search for
Click to View Search Results for "Roll/Spey grass leader" "Roll/Spey grass leader"
on Google and click on the first hit. You can modify the leader to make it shorter or longer.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

During your casting stroke visualize keeping your rod tip on the same plane from back to forward stroke. Dont allow your stroke to present a big arc. during your forward stroke if your line loop is tailing, you most likely are applying to much power+speed too soon. Concentrate on letting "the rod work" with the amount of line your hauling to feel it loading naturally. Grip pressure could be an intrical part of the cast that will tighten everything in your hand and your forearm and may play an important role in your stroke being more jerky and robotic. A good caster will always show a precise and deliberate stroke with good timing on a good cast (narrow loops). Once you have a tight loop coming forward, time the abrupt stop of the rod to allow the line to straighten and lay down softly. If your line slams down or tugs down then you applied to much power coming forward for the amount of line you were hauling. Make that dryfly touch the water like a feather! keep it fun!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I don't like grass because it causes wear and micro cuts on the fly line, but with a used fly line and a "grass leader," one can simulate the "feel" of water resistance. Make up a few for teaching the roll cast.

Search for "Roll/Spey grass leader" on Google and click on the first hit. You can modify the leader to make it shorter or longer.
Well, I only have one rod and one line, so I guess I'll use it until I get better and buy another. I'll try the grass leader, although the link said a 12' leader. Wouldn't that be too long for a 9' rod?

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
During your casting stroke visualize keeping your rod tip on the same plane from back to forward stroke. Dont allow your stroke to present a big arc. during your forward stroke if your line loop is tailing, you most likely are applying to much power+speed too soon. Concentrate on letting "the rod work" with the amount of line your hauling to feel it loading naturally. Grip pressure could be an intrical part of the cast that will tighten everything in your hand and your forearm and may play an important role in your stroke being more jerky and robotic. A good caster will always show a precise and deliberate stroke with good timing on a good cast (narrow loops). Once you have a tight loop coming forward, time the abrupt stop of the rod to allow the line to straighten and lay down softly. If your line slams down or tugs down then you applied to much power coming forward for the amount of line you were hauling. Make that dryfly touch the water like a feather! keep it fun!
I think part of my problem is bending my wrist. This is about the only thing I can think of where wrist movement is not an integral part of the motion.

By the way, I'm getting a little better each day. I cast 15-20 minutes every night.

Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Start with a leader about as long as the rod, so modify it for 9 ft.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Start with a leader about as long as the rod, so modify it for 9 ft.
Thanks. Is that sort of a rule of thumb that the leader be approximately the same length as the rod?

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM

For a newbie, that is what I use as a rule of thumb. If you can't handle that shorten the leader by a foot.

I also use a rule of thumb for tippet to fly size for newbies. Divide the hook size by 4 for newbies and by 3 for as you get better. For example on a size 16 fly, a newbie would use a 4X tippet for better control; and then as their casting and accuracy got better, they would use a 5X tippet.

Silver

Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks, Silver...think I've probably already shortened it that much from wind knots. Should be called "greenhorn knots". Still practicing every night. Some casts are decent, some not so much.

Thanks again,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM

nefarious_1_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For a newbie, that is what I use as a rule of thumb. If you can't handle that shorten the leader by a foot.

I also use a rule of thumb for tippet to fly size for newbies. Divide the hook size by 4 for newbies and by 3 for as you get better. For example on a size 16 fly, a newbie would use a 4X tippet for better control; and then as their casting and accuracy got better, they would use a 5X tippet.
This sounds like good advice. I wonder if some of the issues I've been having throwing long leaders and light flies could be fixed by this. I'll try next time I'm out.