The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New caster problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobotkg View Post
Definitely get to water. Even if there are no fish. The tension of the water on the line changes the resistance experienced by the rod.

I wondered about that. I will try as soon as possible.

Thanks,

John
__________________
“…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,042
silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New caster problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobotkg View Post
Definitely get to water. Even if there are no fish. The tension of the water on the line changes the resistance experienced by the rod.
I don't like grass because it causes wear and micro cuts on the fly line, but with a used fly line and a "grass leader," one can simulate the "feel" of water resistance. Make up a few for teaching the roll cast.

Search for
Click to View Search Results for "Roll/Spey grass leader" "Roll/Spey grass leader"
on Google and click on the first hit. You can modify the leader to make it shorter or longer.
__________________
Regards,

Silver



"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM
nickel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 72
nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New caster problems

During your casting stroke visualize keeping your rod tip on the same plane from back to forward stroke. Dont allow your stroke to present a big arc. during your forward stroke if your line loop is tailing, you most likely are applying to much power+speed too soon. Concentrate on letting "the rod work" with the amount of line your hauling to feel it loading naturally. Grip pressure could be an intrical part of the cast that will tighten everything in your hand and your forearm and may play an important role in your stroke being more jerky and robotic. A good caster will always show a precise and deliberate stroke with good timing on a good cast (narrow loops). Once you have a tight loop coming forward, time the abrupt stop of the rod to allow the line to straighten and lay down softly. If your line slams down or tugs down then you applied to much power coming forward for the amount of line you were hauling. Make that dryfly touch the water like a feather! keep it fun!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New caster problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I don't like grass because it causes wear and micro cuts on the fly line, but with a used fly line and a "grass leader," one can simulate the "feel" of water resistance. Make up a few for teaching the roll cast.

Search for "Roll/Spey grass leader" on Google and click on the first hit. You can modify the leader to make it shorter or longer.
Well, I only have one rod and one line, so I guess I'll use it until I get better and buy another. I'll try the grass leader, although the link said a 12' leader. Wouldn't that be too long for a 9' rod?

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
During your casting stroke visualize keeping your rod tip on the same plane from back to forward stroke. Dont allow your stroke to present a big arc. during your forward stroke if your line loop is tailing, you most likely are applying to much power+speed too soon. Concentrate on letting "the rod work" with the amount of line your hauling to feel it loading naturally. Grip pressure could be an intrical part of the cast that will tighten everything in your hand and your forearm and may play an important role in your stroke being more jerky and robotic. A good caster will always show a precise and deliberate stroke with good timing on a good cast (narrow loops). Once you have a tight loop coming forward, time the abrupt stop of the rod to allow the line to straighten and lay down softly. If your line slams down or tugs down then you applied to much power coming forward for the amount of line you were hauling. Make that dryfly touch the water like a feather! keep it fun!
I think part of my problem is bending my wrist. This is about the only thing I can think of where wrist movement is not an integral part of the motion.

By the way, I'm getting a little better each day. I cast 15-20 minutes every night.

Thanks,

John
__________________
“…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,042
silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New caster problems

Start with a leader about as long as the rod, so modify it for 9 ft.
__________________
Regards,

Silver



"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New caster problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Start with a leader about as long as the rod, so modify it for 9 ft.
Thanks. Is that sort of a rule of thumb that the leader be approximately the same length as the rod?

John
__________________
“…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,042
silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New caster problems

For a newbie, that is what I use as a rule of thumb. If you can't handle that shorten the leader by a foot.

I also use a rule of thumb for tippet to fly size for newbies. Divide the hook size by 4 for newbies and by 3 for as you get better. For example on a size 16 fly, a newbie would use a 4X tippet for better control; and then as their casting and accuracy got better, they would use a 5X tippet.
__________________
Regards,

Silver



"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New caster problems

Thanks, Silver...think I've probably already shortened it that much from wind knots. Should be called "greenhorn knots". Still practicing every night. Some casts are decent, some not so much.

Thanks again,

John
__________________
“…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27
nefarious_1_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New caster problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
For a newbie, that is what I use as a rule of thumb. If you can't handle that shorten the leader by a foot.

I also use a rule of thumb for tippet to fly size for newbies. Divide the hook size by 4 for newbies and by 3 for as you get better. For example on a size 16 fly, a newbie would use a 4X tippet for better control; and then as their casting and accuracy got better, they would use a 5X tippet.
This sounds like good advice. I wonder if some of the issues I've been having throwing long leaders and light flies could be fixed by this. I'll try next time I'm out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazing natural caster pt. 3. Guest1 The Fly Cast 10 11-26-2011 05:52 AM
Four Vintage Fly reels and One Caster Ebay USA Vintage fly reels for sale 0 11-10-2011 09:30 AM
new rod for new spey caster jeremy_w How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice 6 10-24-2011 03:50 PM
Amazing natural caster. Guest1 The Fly Cast 3 06-22-2009 11:22 PM
The Second Fly Caster randyflycaster Fly Fishing Adventure Articles 4 02-29-2008 03:00 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.