The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   New caster problems (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/292357-new-caster-problems.html)

jspriddy 07-26-2012 08:12 PM

New caster problems

I'm new to fly casting, and have been practicing several days in the yard. I know part of my problem is breaking my wrist, but I'm working on that.

My main problem is the line nearly always lands in a series of S-curves, leader included. The "stop" on the forward cast seems to be my problem. The more pronounced it is, the more problem I have. The few halfway decent casts I make seem to be the ones where I don't make the stop, or make it almost imperceptibly.

In other words, the more I concentrate on the stop, the worse the problem. I've watched videos until my eyes are crossed, read until they uncrossed, and still see very little progress.

Any suggestions? Besides more practice, which I will get.

Thanks,

John

randyflycaster 07-26-2012 11:24 PM

Re: New caster problems

You might be executing your forward casting stroke too quickly. If we cast too hard for the amount of line we have out the fly line might bounce after we abruptly stop the rod.

Also, you might be stopping the rod too early. At the end of your forward cast the rod should point to about 10:30.

Randy

cockatouche 07-27-2012 06:25 AM

Forget the back yard "casting" and go "fishing".

turbineblade 07-27-2012 12:38 PM

I am also a new caster, and have found that my forward cast isn't very good either in comparison to my backcast. The biggest thing I've noticed is that I tend to A) not put enough snap/stop into my forward cast, and B) end the front cast lower than I do the back cast.....when I focus on the *stop and making sure to stop at a higher point on the cast, I do much better.

ghocevar 07-27-2012 12:57 PM

Here's a tip that I was given when I started fly fishing many moons ago...
On both the forward cast, and the back cast, pretent you are holding a cup of water...when you begin your forward cast, accelerate to an abrupt stop, making the water "fling" out of the cup. Same applies to the back cast.
Don't worry so much about breaking your wrist and keeping your arm and wrist in one straight line...I have been told that is the old way of thinking (although it is still taught that way be many people)
It takes practice...You'll figure it out!

Flyfisher for men 07-27-2012 01:44 PM

Similar tip to ghocehar--imagine flicking a tomato off a fork or a water off a paintbrush.

gatortransplant 07-27-2012 02:21 PM

While your casting may indeed be the issue since you're new, also try stretching your line out by having someone hold the other end and pulling strongly on it. Line memory can wreak havoc on your casting, and as a new caster, you want as many variables as you can eliminated! Good luck and happy casting, but most importantly, happy fishing!

Guest1 07-27-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbineblade (Post 473679)
I am also a new caster, and have found that my forward cast isn't very good either in comparison to my backcast. .

Most of the time with a new caster, when you have that problem, it's in where you keep your line hand when going into the forward cast. If the distance between the first stripper guide and the line hand decreases as you go into the stroke you are 'anti-hauling'. If the line hand is stationary and the rod is going back and forth, when you go into the back cast the distance between the first stripper and your hand increases, making a weak haul. Weak but still a haul. That's why the backcast is good but the forward cast stinks. You are unloading the rod in the forward stroke.

Watch what you do with your line hand and let me know. This may be jspriddy's problem as well. I have seen where they do pretty well till they go to shoot and the line hand forgets to stay with the program.

jspriddy 07-27-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 473586)
You might be executing your forward casting stroke too quickly. If we cast too hard for the amount of line we have out the fly line might bounce after we abruptly stop the rod.

Also, you might be stopping the rod too early. At the end of your forward cast the rod should point to about 10:30.

Randy

You say the rod should point to about 10:30. Do you mean on a false cast or the actual cast?

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 473718)
Most of the time with a new caster, when you have that problem, it's in where you keep your line hand when going into the forward cast. If the distance between the first stripper guide and the line hand decreases as you go into the stroke you are 'anti-hauling'. If the line hand is stationary and the rod is going back and forth, when you go into the back cast the distance between the first stripper and your hand increases, making a weak haul. Weak but still a haul. That's why the backcast is good but the forward cast stinks. You are unloading the rod in the forward stroke.

Watch what you do with your line hand and let me know. This may be jspriddy's problem as well. I have seen where they do pretty well till they go to shoot and the line hand forgets to stay with the program.

If the line hand closes with the first guide on the forward cast, you're essentially feeding more (too much) line, therefore, the problem?

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 473694)
While your casting may indeed be the issue since you're new, also try stretching your line out by having someone hold the other end and pulling strongly on it. Line memory can wreak havoc on your casting, and as a new caster, you want as many variables as you can eliminated! Good luck and happy casting, but most importantly, happy fishing!

Will try that. I had read to do that and completely forgot.

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Thanks to everyone that replied. I've read and studied all your answers, and intend to make use of them all. By the way, I was doing some better this evening.

Many thanks,

John

sobotkg 07-28-2012 04:31 AM

Definitely get to water. Even if there are no fish. The tension of the water on the line changes the resistance experienced by the rod.