The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM

navycop10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Double Haul.... Won't.....

I am starting to believe that I was using too big of a fly for the rod. As it would seem to drag through the air and fall. Even when I was giving it extra thump at the end. I switched to a smaller (less wind resistant fly) and it seems to do better, but still not 100%. Not sure why it won't go out the back. I can go from 20ft to 80ft in two casts with my other 6 wt. This one won't go past 60 at all, even after giving it the baseball throw like in the video.

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. ― Abraham Lincoln

The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure. ― Albert Einstein
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM

kc8qvo is on a distinguished road

I read down through this thread and watched the video there. That is the same exact noise I get on my 6wt with Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Titan Taper line. I used to use an older version of Orvis's WFF-6wt trout line, similar to what the Access series is today = slick. The SA Titan Taper is textured and it sounds identical to the noise on the video.

That having been said, regarding putting different line on your rod navycop - what kind of fly were you using that you feel is dragging too much? My guess is a streamer or terrestrial of some sort.

My 6wt rod was nearly my only fly rod for the past 8 years. I had cheap 8wt but only cast it a couple times a year. The biggest drawback I had with my 6wt was it didn't have much steam for bigger flies. Recently I picked up a 4wt rod and put trout line on it, so that took over my small fishing needs, and I picked up the SA Titan Taper line for my 6wt. I did not think changing the line would make THAT much of a difference but I was willing to give it a try, and boy am I glad I did. The Titan Taper line transformed the rod totally. It is not a monster fly rod, by any means, but within the limits of what I was casting on the rod before I switched lines the new line is a whole new experience. I can cast the streamers I used to have trouble casting in calm weather even in the wind now and still put them where I want.

The one big difference I felt when I switched line is the thick shooting head on the Titan Taper. It feels like casting a lump with small flies (nymphs, dries) and tends to tug the rod when I haul it. Bigger flies smooth it out. I am real happy with it overall. Until I get a heavier weight rod my 6wt is a wonderful rod to fish with.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 PM

troutbum1982 is on a distinguished road

. .
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum1982 View Post
. .

I was going to say that but add another. Here it is at the end of this sentence..
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM

navycop10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qvo View Post
I read down through this thread and watched the video there. That is the same exact noise I get on my 6wt with Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Titan Taper line. I used to use an older version of Orvis's WFF-6wt trout line, similar to what the Access series is today = slick. The SA Titan Taper is textured and it sounds identical to the noise on the video.

That having been said, regarding putting different line on your rod navycop - what kind of fly were you using that you feel is dragging too much? My guess is a streamer or terrestrial of some sort.

My 6wt rod was nearly my only fly rod for the past 8 years. I had cheap 8wt but only cast it a couple times a year. The biggest drawback I had with my 6wt was it didn't have much steam for bigger flies. Recently I picked up a 4wt rod and put trout line on it, so that took over my small fishing needs, and I picked up the SA Titan Taper line for my 6wt. I did not think changing the line would make THAT much of a difference but I was willing to give it a try, and boy am I glad I did. The Titan Taper line transformed the rod totally. It is not a monster fly rod, by any means, but within the limits of what I was casting on the rod before I switched lines the new line is a whole new experience. I can cast the streamers I used to have trouble casting in calm weather even in the wind now and still put them where I want.

The one big difference I felt when I switched line is the thick shooting head on the Titan Taper. It feels like casting a lump with small flies (nymphs, dries) and tends to tug the rod when I haul it. Bigger flies smooth it out. I am real happy with it overall. Until I get a heavier weight rod my 6wt is a wonderful rod to fish with.
It was a clouser minnow. A big bass hook, I think a 4/0. I am thinking of upgrading to a better quality line, and upsizing one size too. I think the bit of extra weight will help load the rod a bit better. Plus, slicker line would really help. This is even hard to strip in sometimes as it feels like it is grabbing the guides....

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. ― Abraham Lincoln

The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure. ― Albert Einstein
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycop10 View Post
Plus, slicker line would really help. This is even hard to strip in sometimes as it feels like it is grabbing the guides....
That right there is fixable right away. You clearly need to clean and slick the line. I run it through a wet paper towel till I stop getting crud off of it. I then run some kind of line slick on it. Most of the time I use STP Son of a Gun on a paper towel. Run it thorough one way making sure you get it on all the way, and then run it back through the other way. I do this pretty often. You will notice a drastic improvement right away.

As far as up lining goes, you may or may not need to do that. Big flies are harder to cast. On smaller rods it's even harder. Between the dirty line and the big fly, you may have ID'd a lot of your trouble right there.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM

sofly is on a distinguished road

I recently ran into a similar issue but kind of reversed. Started with a 5wt combo, couldn't double haul on it to save my life. Put together a beautiful 9wt combo, chose some great line and began double hauling like I was slicing butta. I came to the conclusion that in my case it was the line. When I went back to the 5wt it had practically no coating in comparison.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

interesting tread...I find myself pinching my line with my left hand and casting with my right in the "haul" motion a basic reflex...even when distance is not an issue, it always helps me with a soft landing and presentation...especially with a dry fly. I fish bamboo almost exclusively.

sharkskins are for sure smooth casting lines, I have two...I love them, once I got used to the sound of the line sliding along the snake guides ...I have not experienced any problems with trout hearing that noise , at least in any adverse way. But we are allowed to be a bit particular and even eccentric in this pursuit...Lord knows I sure am...

the sharkins can tend to make tailing loops for someone casting a double or helicopter haul just getting used to them due to their added performance...for sure their is a difference...thats why they cost more...the material they are made from.

My new favorite dry fly line are the ones made by (or for) E.F.Payne in Bend Oregon of bamboo rod fame...very forgiving, and haul outstanding. Plus I love the white/ivory color...similar to the older style SA lines from the 70's.

the youtube clip posted by SC is excellent along with the other Orvis instructional videos. Even if you think you know what you are doing...there are some mechanical details to be learned that are really cool...they explain why things are happening that I never even was aware of in truth. Once you stop learning its over...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM

greg_h is on a distinguished road

I have read all the thread. I agree that the whooshing sound on the Rafeff video is probably the sound of the rod cutting the air. Also, I agree that a Clouser might be a little heavy for a good distance cast on a 6wt. I think the weight of the eyes would tend to drop the loop and reduce efficiency.
I was coaching an experienced but not trained caster a couple of weeks ago who had the same haul/backcast problem - which I did myself somewhat when using his rod. Changing to a newer and heavier line solved the problem.

Be aware of two things: casting 7 more feet (ie 47 vs 40) is equivalent to casting a 40ft line of one weight heavier - so to see if you need a heavier line, test by seeing if the problem resolves somewhat by holding more line in the air. Secondly, some lines (Rio I think is one) are more like 1/2 wt heavier for their rating - i.e. marked 6wt but more like a 6.5wt. The product descriptions on company websites and a professional flyshop owner will help.
Plus, as others have mentioned, clean and lubricate the lines you do have after each outing or practice session - you will be amazed at the microscopic dirt that comes off in a cleaning cloth. Cheers: the Canadian Greg H. from Toronto.