The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM

dennis_t is on a distinguished road
Default Yard Practice

When practicing in the yard, is it a good idea to tie something lite on the end of your leader or tippit? The reason I ask is, I was watching Pete from Orvis' website today and he had what looked like a yarn indicator tied on.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yard Practice

A tuft of yarn will do the trick. It will emulate the wind resistance that a fly has on casting.
tennessee dave likes this.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
A tuft of yarn will do the trick. It will emulate the wind resistance that a fly has on casting.
as my friend Dennis said+ Will enable you to see where you cast(fluo yarn)...if you put some"targets" in your yardalso think you will snap your tippet if you don't tie anything on it...
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

dont forget to use leader and tippet, will help keep the fly line from crashing into itself =)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:01 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
as my friend Dennis said+ Will enable you to see where you cast(fluo yarn)...if you put some"targets" in your yardalso think you will snap your tippet if you don't tie anything on it...
And that will save stress on your fly line head.

Rick
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Clip the hook point off an old colorful fly. Simulates actual caring conditions . Yarn is good but reacts differently. Depends on how specific and accurate your looking to get!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I took a casting lesson earlier this season, and found that part of my problems came from practicing my casts in the yard, and not on the water. Wasn't "loading the rod correctly, as I didn't have that frictionfrom the line coming off the water for the backcast. Also, my roll casts were ghastly, until I tried them on water, and took advantage of the water friction.
tmac likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
I took a casting lesson earlier this season, and found that part of my problems came from practicing my casts in the yard, and not on the water. Wasn't "loading the rod correctly, as I didn't have that frictionfrom the line coming off the water for the backcast. Also, my roll casts were ghastly, until I tried them on water, and took advantage of the water friction.
There are many casts that you just can't do on land that work great on water. Although, for the roll cast, Ard sent me a recipe for tying a leader that closely simulates the water loading the rod on land (grass). It was very useful when fooling around with spey casting in the yard.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Google search for "grass leader" for instructions on how they are made. Start with a leader about as long as your fly rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-13-2012, 02:28 PM

woolybugger53 is on a distinguished road

I usually tie a 2-3 inch piece of yellow yarn to the end of the fly line.
You can really aim your fly line at your target, like a Hula Hoop for example, and see exactly where it lands.

I posted a tip for practicing roll casts using your foreceps a little while ago.