The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 AM

rba is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a referral

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been reading this forum for the last couple of days and I'm ready to begin fly fishing. I'd like to find an instructor in the truckee area of California.

I'm also going to need a rod and reel. From reading the forum it seems a medium to medium fast action rod would probably be best. Since I'm going to fish mainly the truckee river should I go with the 5wt or 6 wt?

I've read the casting thread with the animations. Any specific threads about choosing equipment that anyone could provide a link?

Thanks in advance!
Tom
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a referral

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum and the sport.

Try Jim Landis of Big Fly Guide Service.

For most trout fishing in Northern California (as well as the western states), a 9' 5 weight will cover your needs. You should be able to throw just about any trout fly with a 5 weight except for larger streamers. For that, you might want a 6 weight as a streamer specific rod.

In regards to choosing gear, check out the FAQ section.

If you have a chance, visit a fly shop. You can get a lot of questions answered there.

MP
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rba View Post
Hi,

This is my first post. I've been reading this forum for the last couple of days and I'm ready to begin fly fishing. I'd like to find an instructor in the truckee area of California.

I'm also going to need a rod and reel. From reading the forum it seems a medium to medium fast action rod would probably be best. Since I'm going to fish mainly the truckee river should I go with the 5wt or 6 wt?

I've read the casting thread with the animations. Any specific threads about choosing equipment that anyone could provide a link?

Thanks in advance!
Tom
I would go with Ralph Cutter. He is THE source for all thing Truckee. When Fly Fish Magazine does a article on the Truckee he is the one they go to, no, make that he is the one they have write the article. He and his wife run a fly fishing school too. He is an expert in entomology, casting, and guiding the Truckee.
2010 California School of Flyfishing | Nevada City/Truckee, CA | (530) 470-0284 | cutter@flyline.com.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Tom, I'll second the recommendation for Ralf, known him for years, and he has the bugs covered. I've had a few clients of his, after they took his two day class.
They still had info oozing out their ears. There is a ton of info to learn, and he covers it all.
My program is a little less info intensive, more related to the individual anglers needs.
Casting, stalking, strategy, reading water, etc.
What ever works for ya.
Thanks Dennis, lets go fish!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

rba welcome to the forum, you've gotten great advice-- it sounds like either Ralf or Jim would be a great choice.

And I'll also second Mosca advice about visiting a fly shop and shopping there for gear (rather than a big box store). Most shops will usually be willing to take you out back for a quick casting lesson to get you going, and are very knowledgeable about getting folks started--- and they'll be a great resource going forward for tips and techniques, water conditions and hatches etc. They're well worth supporting if you're lucky enough to have them in your area (most of the ones around here have gone the way of the dodo).

i also always recommend that folks new to the sport at least check out a local chapter of Trout Unlimited or a club affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers. In addition to informative meetings, they typically have casting clinics, beginning tying classes, group trips to local waters, and it's a great way to meet some new fishing buddies. You can do searches here:

For TU:
Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

And for FFF affiliated clubs:
Locate a Club

Good luck and keep asking questions as they come up for you.