The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road
Default Dry presentation

I rarely fish dry flies but plan to a lot more this year. So I was looking for some in depth articles to explain a question i have about dry fly presentation, but didn't find many sources. So i'll come to you guys for some help. When watching a video on dry fly fishing, you see the person stripping in line, and i was wandering if this is to skim the fly across the surface or to pick up the slack as the fly drifts closer. Also, if one is upstream fishing into a downstream hole, how should he present the fly and retrieve. For example, would I just strip line as the fly drifts down into and past the hole?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Dry presentation

they r stripping to keep the line tight and have less slack. they don't want the fly to drift unnatural. let it drift natural with the river with no drag from you.. kinda like nymph fishing a lil. although in slower water I have been real successful with very small lil tugs(don't sink the fly) to make it look like its a struggling insect. this works great especially when using terrestrial patterns.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road

I have used the "twitch" motion before in bonds to trigger some crappie and bluegill hits, and it seems to work well. Thanks for answering my question about the line stripping.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

im assuming you were watching someone fishing up stream and stripping line to keep your line tight so if he did get a take---that he will be tight enough to actually hook the fish---

keeping as much line off the water will help in a float with the least drag----

on the au sable in michigan---i did all my dryfly downstream or across---your floats will be shorter before the drag takes over and moves your fly sideways but if you have pinpointed the position of the fish and timed his rises---then deliver one over his position when hes ready for the next take

sometimes feeding line to the drag will give you a second or 2 more float on the fly----after the fish takes its up to you to hook up with all the slack downstream

in an even flow---you can get long floats on a downstream presentation---a mend now and again will extend the fishable float when prospecting
Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Rover,
As per your ? regarding a downstream presentation fishing a dry fly.

Work yourself into a good position upstream of where you can present the fly into the fishes feeding lane, put your cast just beyond the feeding lane, and upstream from the fish about 10', leave some slack at the end of your cast so you can gently raise your rod to drag the fly into the lane, now drop the rod tip and feed some slack from your line hand down stream along with the fly, when the fly drifts past the fish or the hole a safe amount as to not spook the fish, then gently pick the line up and recast doing the same thing.

This method is very effective using emergers also.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Rover I forgot to mention that this is not done from "directly" up stream, you want to 10' or so to the side of the feeding lane, you probably already knew that.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Sprattoo is on a distinguished road

I improved my dry presentations a bit last year just by sitting down on the bank (as hard as it was while fish are feeding) and watching the bugs on the water.

I pulled my rod apart, had a sammich, and with one hand (on half a rod) and about 4 or 5 feet of line out just started playing with my rod and line in the water trying to get the feel of what rod movements duplicate the struggles or movements of insects on the water.

Of course when a little smally thought I was doing a good job, and snagged my fly, I dropped my sandwich in surprise and ruined my lunch.

I like the teeniest tug, rest rest, tug. Unless you are fishing a waterbug type fly try to avoid making a V shape on the surface. Not many bugs do this.
A stuck horsefly or bee does it on occasion, but more than not, they end up spinning in circles with one wing stuck under the water surface. That can be dang hard to duplicate 15 yards out, but a nice O ripple coming off the fly made by a quick gentle tug seems to satisfy most fish, spun hackles immitating buzzing wings.

Sometimes I will let the V start to form but end quickly with a tiny tug to get that same O to radiate from the fly.

Also for hook sets I have had the most luck with a short wrist "flick" just after the surface take. Then immediately lift my arm to keep tension on the line. I see guys losing takes all the time by just hauling the whole rod up immediately.
IMHO this gives the fish an extra split second to spit the fly when he realizes it might not be a meaty treat. The wrist flick is more immediate