The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

On most of the small rivers I fish, 40 feet is really pushing it do to trees and bushes along the water.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but how would a greenhorn, with no "expert" around to help, know if the line was unsuited to the rod? Experimentation with the cost of fly line would be cost prohibitive. I'm using a 9 ft. 5 wt. rod, which I believe to be medium action, with 5 wt. WF floating line. All of it White River from BassPro.
Patrick
With all of which you have shared here I think your doing a good job, I would like to make a suggestion and try a little experimentation with a SA Headstart 5wt line, its a half weight heavier than a normal 5wt line which could help you with timing and rod feel for 30 to 40 bucks.

Rick

Last edited by oarfish; 10-04-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I take a contrary position to most of the posts. Eventually, you will find that a 40 ft maximum will limit your fishing effectiveness and pleasure. Here's the problem with being able to cast 40 ft as your maximum ===> WIND!

Any headwind and your 40 ft maximum becomes a dream. The second problem is if you fish at all from a belly boat. The low position limits your cast and you tend to spook fish as you get closer.

There is no disadvantage to being able to cast long. All it can be is an advantage.

My advice is to NOT be satisfied or limited by a 40 foot range. Learn a more effective casting stroke. Learn to double haul. Learn to shoot line on the backcast. Practice.
mojo, imxer, Guest1 and 2 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

John.
As mentioned you will always find some Lines better suited to Rods than others,as there are heaps of Lines made for Specific purposes,many really Shoot better than others.
You seem to be going OK,I wouldn't worry too much,distance & accuracy will come with practice,as suggested later on you probably will change Lines,even Rods.
Once you start catching a few Fish you won't worry about how far you can cast.
Brian.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I take a contrary position...

My advice is to NOT be satisfied or limited by a 40 foot range. Learn a more effective casting stroke. Learn to double haul. Learn to shoot line on the backcast. Practice.
Oh, I'm trying to increase my distance, but I feel like I've come a long way in less than 3 months. I am working on double hauling but that's coming slow. But in late July, I couldn't tie the fly to the end of the rod and hit you on the head with it. So I'm making progress. I was just trying to see if I was expecting too much out my equipment.

Back to the practice field, thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Patrick
With all of which you have shared here I think your doing a good job, I would like to make a suggestion and try a little experimentation with a SA Headstart 5wt line, its a half weight heavier than a normal 5wt line which could help you with timing and rod feel for 30 to 40 bucks.

Rick
Thanks, Rick. I may try that. I have a gift card from one of the major retailers, and had been wondering what to do with it. Headstart sounds like it was made for new fly fishers like me.

John

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
John.
As mentioned you will always find some Lines better suited to Rods than others,as there are heaps of Lines made for Specific purposes,many really Shoot better than others.
You seem to be going OK,I wouldn't worry too much,distance & accuracy will come with practice,as suggested later on you probably will change Lines,even Rods.
Once you start catching a few Fish you won't worry about how far you can cast.
Brian.

I improve a little each day. Some days I have a revelation (OH! So that's why they say...). Like tonight, I started watching my back cast and letting it unfold a little longer. Made quite a bit of difference. A week or so ago, I figured out I was letting my rod tip go to far back on the back cast. That helped also.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was just trying to see if I was expecting too much out my equipment.

John
Virtually any equipment is capable of more than 40' casts. That friend of mine I mentioned doing casts of 130' + is doing it with a Cabela's Three Forks rod. Not exactly expensive top of the line rod. As far as getting distance, the most important piece of equipment is you.

Silver is absolutely right about the wind. Take the weather here for instance the last couple of times I have been out. To call it breezy would be putting it mildly. Then top it off with where the outside of the weed beds are along with where the top of my waders are and only being able to make a 40' cast will get you nowhere. What he said was good advice.

Quote:
I started watching my back cast and letting it unfold a little longer. Made quite a bit of difference. A week or so ago, I figured out I was letting my rod tip go to far back on the back cast. That helped also.
Those are the little things that add up to an 80' cast in the near future.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Virtually any equipment is capable of more than 40' casts....Those are the little things that add up to an 80' cast in the near future.
Thanks, Dan. Last night I couldn't have cast a 10 oz. sinker on a broomstick. The night before I was pretty well pleased. I know, I know-practice, practice...

Thanks to all

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

If your rod is really stiff (fast action) a half weight heavier line would help you feel your rod load better and help with timing. Also a good quality line like a scientific anglers gpx, rio grand, or rio gold helps A LOT.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
If your rod is really stiff (fast action) a half weight heavier line would help you feel your rod load better and help with timing. Also a good quality line like a scientific anglers gpx, rio grand, or rio gold helps A LOT.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try a heavier line. I've just put in too much practice with what I have, and really not seen a lot of improvement as of late.

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I don't think you should be satisfied with a 40 foot cast.

Your rod is 9 feet long. You should be using a 9 foot leader. Add the 30 feet of your WF 5 wt fly line that is the sweet spot for your rod, and you have 9 + 9 + 30 or 48 feet. Even if you deduct about 4 feet for slop and slack, you still have a cast of 44 feet with just the 30 feet of fly line.

What I am trying to illustrate is that a 40 foot cast does not even require the minimum amount of line the rod is rated for.

The potential of your rod is to cast that WF line well into the running line. You can get much better with practice but you need to practice correctly. Find a mentor or a teacher that can you improve. Improving is not hard with the right instruction. I had one of the best.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-06-2013 at 01:55 PM.