The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
really not seen a lot of improvement as of late.

John
Can you shoot some video of you casting? If you can, upload it to vimeo or something and send me a link so I can see what you need help with. Without video we are just guessing and you may be making a bad habit really hard to break.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
I improve a little each day.
That's about all you can hope for. After a while it may seem like you hit a wall and aren't improving or seem stuck at a certain distance. Don't give up, just keep working at it. You'll eventually pass that hurdle. Enjoy it while you can though for there's sure to be another hurdle up ahead.
It's a fun trip challenging yourself to cast better. Enjoy.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Can you shoot some video of you casting? If you can, upload it to vimeo or something and send me a link so I can see what you need help with. Without video we are just guessing and you may be making a bad habit really hard to break.
When it warms up some, I'll do that. Since I started this thread, I've had some problems with a pinched nerve in my neck, and haven't been able to practice. I think by the time warm weather gets here, I'll be OK. It may take me a few days to get back to where I was.

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
That's about all you can hope for. After a while it may seem like you hit a wall and aren't improving or seem stuck at a certain distance. Don't give up, just keep working at it. You'll eventually pass that hurdle. Enjoy it while you can though for there's sure to be another hurdle up ahead.
It's a fun trip challenging yourself to cast better. Enjoy.
I'll stay after it. I appreciate you encouragement.

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 AM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

I agree with the previous post. One of the biggest things I learned when trying to improve my cast was to SLOW DOWN (physically) I was trying to whip the line thinking it would cast farther, NOPE. When I slowed the cast down I could feel the line and rod get "loaded", then I would continue the cast. Ultimately this in itself improved my distance. After watching several videos on Spey and different type of casting, a big lesson I learned was to let the rod do the work, the physically harder you cast does not mean a farther cast
Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

Practice is key. While I routinely fish a Sage XP with a Lamson Reel......I keep a Scientific Anglers 8 1/2 Foot 5/6 weight Fly Rod I bought on sale for $20...plus a $1 6WT flyline (unbelievable SA line also at walmart - a high quality line- no joke) plus a Pleugler Medalist reel in my garage all strung up.....I started on it in 1999. I lawn cast this almost every day for fun.....I double haul and can clear out more than 90 feet until I hit my backing in the guides. Do I ever use a 90 foot cast to dead drift a fly on the river ??? NO.....but this practice enables me to routinely and accurately make 50-70 feet casts when needed. In addition...I'm right handed...but I practice casting with my non dominant hand...I'm getting to the point where I can cast tight loops using my LEFT hand at the 30-40 foot range....however I just can't teach my right hand to strip line, double haul etc the way I can using my dominant hand.....so that is where I'm at an impasse.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I'm sure that this has bedn said at least once, but here goes.

If you can cast to your target, that's far enough.

That said, you should be ablre to cast at least 50 ft. without couble hauling. The fact that that you don't often cast beyond 40 ft. is not relevent.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all of you. I am getting some practice in now that the weather has improved, and will continue to do so. I actually have put some 6 wt. line on my 5 wt. rod and am trying that now. It does seem to cast somewhat better. I suppose a rod could actually be heavier or lighter than its designated weight?

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
I suppose a rod could actually be heavier or lighter than its designated weight?

John
Yes. Almost always.
Yesterday I tried my Sage ONE 486 for the first time.
The first thing I tried was a WF4F line. It was OK, but felt underlined.
Then I tried a SA WF5F GPX line. Big difference. Without much effort, it cast 80 ft, about as far as I have room for on my lawn.
This morning I measured the rod with the Common Cents system. The ERN as I measured it for this rod is 5.56. The GPX 5WT line is really a 5.5WT; it works very well with this rod.

It's nice when theory and practice line up.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've had some problems with a pinched nerve in my neck, and haven't been able to practice.

John
That sucks. Hopefully you get feeling better before the fish start to bite.

Quote:
I suppose a rod could actually be heavier or lighter than its designated weight?
Almost all of them. Mostly they are underrating them. In otherwords, if they are calling it a 5 wt., it's likely in the 6 or 7 wt. range. Some makers are pretty close but some are notoriously bad about it. plecain gave a link to the best way to figure out what the rod really is. There is a sticky at the top of the fly rods section of this forum that covers it pretty well also.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

John,

Have you contacted the rod manufacturer to find out if they have any advice regarding line weight? Think I would do that before investing in multiple lines. Whatever they tell you, their answer shouldn't put you behind where you are now and might make an improvement in performance. Best of luck to you.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 04-19-2013 at 01:55 PM.