The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

The biggest killer of distance with a SH rod is the failure to come to a hard stop at the 10 o'clock position on the forward cast. 40 foot cast will put you over a lot of fish, but to hit 60, you've got make that hard stop. Try this, get a good straight cast out 35 feet. Now pull off 5 more feet of line and hold it in your left hand. Make your normal cast and let go of the line on the forward cast. It should snap out and extend the cast to 40 feet. If it doesn't you are likely powering the rod too far down on the forward cast. Keep working on it until you get the five feet to snap out to 40. Then pull off another five feet and go for 45, then 50, etc. A double haul won't help, if you don't stop hard and high.
imxer likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 PM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That sucks. Hopefully you get feeling better before the fish start to bite.

Almost all of them. Mostly they are underrating them. In otherwords, if they are calling it a 5 wt., it's likely in the 6 or 7 wt. range. Some makers are pretty close but some are notoriously bad about it. plecain gave a link to the best way to figure out what the rod really is. There is a sticky at the top of the fly rods section of this forum that covers it pretty well also.
Thanks, Dan. I guess I could say I'm 100% over it now. Started out as pain in my left arm, which was kind of scary. Better Half browbeat me into an emergency room, turned out to be a pinched nerve, which I was pretty glad of at the time.

Haven't really had time to work with the 6 wt. line extensively, but the limited casting I've done seems to be better.

John

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Yes. Almost always...Common Cents system... really a 5.5WT; it works very well with this rod.

It's nice when theory and practice line up.
Thanks. I'll have to take a little time to study this and see how it applies.

JOhn

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
John,

Have you contacted the rod manufacturer to find out if they have any advice regarding line weight? Think I would do that before investing in multiple lines. Whatever they tell you, their answer shouldn't put you behind where you are now and might make an improvement in performance. Best of luck to you.

Paul
I have not. The rod and line came as a package, and I assumed they put what they thought was appropriate on it. My thinking was that every rod could be different, and while one marked 5 wt. might actually be that, another, seemingly identical rod, could be a 6 or even a 4 wt.

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
The biggest killer of distance with a SH rod is the failure to come to a hard stop at the 10 o'clock position on the forward cast. 40 foot cast will put you over a lot of fish, but to hit 60, you've got make that hard stop. Try this, get a good straight cast out 35 feet. Now pull off 5 more feet of line and hold it in your left hand. Make your normal cast and let go of the line on the forward cast. It should snap out and extend the cast to 40 feet. If it doesn't you are likely powering the rod too far down on the forward cast. Keep working on it until you get the five feet to snap out to 40. Then pull off another five feet and go for 45, then 50, etc. A double haul won't help, if you don't stop hard and high.
Well, that's only about, what the 73rd thing to think about during a 2 second cast? Just kidding, I'll pay more attention to my stops. I know my technique is the biggest problem here, so I was trying to take as many equipment problems out of the equation as I could.

Thanks, John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

Haven't quiet figured out the quote thing yet but the part where they say to watch your back cast is some pretty good advice. If your not already doing it should instantly add some distance if you understand the mechanics of a cast.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi tromac,

I was going to send a PM but then thought perhaps some other members could benefit from an open post.

Quoting from posts can be done 2 ways.

You can simply chose the Quote button at the bottom right side of any post and the entire post will appear quoted on your own reply as a reference for your post.

Or: you can go to any previous post on a thread and then hold down your left mouse button and slide your cursor to highlight (block) the selected text you would like to quote in your reply.

Once the text is highlighted, let up on the mouse button and look again to the bottom right of the post window. You will see on the far right, an icon showing a document with red blocked lines and quotation marks with a = sign under them. click the icon to Quote Selected Text.

This feature allows you to 'cherry pick' selected words from another post as a reference quote in your reply.

Hope that helps you,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromak View Post
Haven't quiet figured out the quote thing yet but the part where they say to watch your back cast is some pretty good advice. If your not already doing it should instantly add some distance if you understand the mechanics of a cast.
I'll certainly try this. I think I have a fairly good grasp of the mechanics, at least in theory. I'm still working on it.

Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

40' is usually enough for most fishing. Don't push so hard when you try to go past 40'. Just let it happen. You might be bringing the rod to far down on the cast. Stop the rod like you are casting to the horizon. Then you can follow thru on down. But stop the cast like you are swatting a fly on the wall .
You will get it, if you need it.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
40' is usually enough for most fishing. Don't push so hard when you try to go past 40'. Just let it happen. You might be bringing the rod to far down on the cast. Stop the rod like you are casting to the horizon. Then you can follow thru on down. But stop the cast like you are swatting a fly on the wall .
You will get it, if you need it.
OK. Will give it a try. Let's see, that's...74 things to remember during a two second cast. Maybe it is rocket science, after all. Y'all didn't think I was counting, did you?

Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 AM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road

If your throwing double nymph rigs be careful with that double haul you will get tangled up FAST. also 40 in few months isn't bad at all I learned way slower than that. It was probably a year before I got better than that or even knew it was possible. But a few internet videos and some time spent practicing I can unload about 90 feet of line under optimal conditions. I wanna try a faster rod but the money isn't there right now
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The optimal casting distance for a 9' , 5wt is from you to the fish.

Seriously, you will find a way to do it every time.

Necessity is a muther than causes invention as needed.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhall87 View Post
If your throwing double nymph rigs be careful with that double haul you will get tangled up FAST. also 40 in few months isn't bad at all I learned way slower than that. It was probably a year before I got better than that or even knew it was possible. But a few internet videos and some time spent practicing I can unload about 90 feet of line under optimal conditions. I wanna try a faster rod but the money isn't there right now
"double nymph"? If I had a double nymph, I wouldn't be...yeah, seriously, I sometimes think I am expecting too much too soon.

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
The optimal casting distance for a 9' , 5wt is from you to the fish.

Seriously, you will find a way to do it every time.

Necessity is a muther than causes invention as needed.
Well, that's a thought. You're right, of course. And as far as golf, I never understood a game where there was no defense.

John

Patrick O’Brian