The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

1. ten to forty feet

2. sometimes I forget technique, don't concentrate, forget to worry about doing it right and magic happens. I just cast and all is well.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
1. ten to forty feet

2. sometimes I forget technique, don't concentrate, forget to worry about doing it right and magic happens. I just cast and all is well.
Gah! Who knew Mary Poppins flyfished? Thanks, Rock. I think you were saying to not overthink it.

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

John, some of my best casts happened when I was distracted and daydreaming. Interesting, eh?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
John, some of my best casts happened when I was distracted and daydreaming. Interesting, eh?
Not over-thinking it?

Patrick O’Brian
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 PM

vtmatt is on a distinguished road

I started almost 2 years ago ago, and I THINK I can get out around 70' with relative comfort, but it is not accurate, and downright sloppy on a 5 wt. I almost always am tossing tandem rigs with weight added, and an indicator. If we're talking a 9' leader to a small fly like a dry, it's a whole different story! You should see if over/underlining your rod helps you at all. Could be that you're tossing a line that's too light for that rod, or vice versa. Good luck with the practice.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmatt View Post
I started almost 2 years ago ago, and I THINK I can get out around 70' with relative comfort, but it is not accurate, and downright sloppy on a 5 wt. I almost always am tossing tandem rigs with weight added, and an indicator. If we're talking a 9' leader to a small fly like a dry, it's a whole different story! You should see if over/underlining your rod helps you at all. Could be that you're tossing a line that's too light for that rod, or vice versa. Good luck with the practice.
This is hard for some to understand but a lighter line usually makes long casts easier.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
This is hard for some to understand but a lighter line usually makes long casts easier.
yep....wanna cast far? Put a 3 wt line on your 5 and don't tell your buddies.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
yep....wanna cast far? Put a 3 wt line on your 5 and don't tell your buddies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Well, this is the exact opposite of what I thought. I thought a heavier line would give you more distance.

I figure some are going to chime in with differing opinions, but then again, I could be wrong. (If I am, I won't admit, however.)

John

Patrick O’Brian