The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

I been practicing for almost three months now, and have seen great improvement. I'm using 9 ft. rod with 5 wt. WF line, and casting fairly accurately at 35-40 feet. There's a bare spot in the grass about 18-20 inches in diameter, and I can hit it fairly consistently.

My question is, what distance should I expect out of my equipment? It seems that when I try to stretch the distance by a foot or so, everything goes to...well, I've seem to have hit a wall at 40 ft.

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

John: I wouldn't worry too much about the distance, with your practice and getting that kind of accuracy is way more important for actual fishing conditions that you will encounter. Most of the fishing you do will be in that 35-40 ft and under anyway. You didn't mention what kind of rod you have, with my Sage One, I can reach out to 60 ft no problem, but the accuracy drops way off at that distance, at least for me. I don't normally fish beyond 40 ft anyway so I don't worry too much about it. If you're obsessed with bombing casts way out there, then take a look on YouTube and learn to double haul.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
John: I wouldn't worry too much about the distance, with your practice and getting that kind of accuracy is way more important for actual fishing conditions that you will encounter. Most of the fishing you do will be in that 35-40 ft and under anyway. You didn't mention what kind of rod you have, with my Sage One, I can reach out to 60 ft no problem, but the accuracy drops way off at that distance, at least for me. I don't normally fish beyond 40 ft anyway so I don't worry too much about it. If you're obsessed with bombing casts way out there, then take a look on YouTube and learn to double haul.
What he said!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

While 35 - 40 feet may be all you need on many Trout waters, it will likely fall short for many other species and waters. I'd watch you tube for a while and learn to double haul. One thing I have discovered works well for many people, myself included, is to practice making the motions in front of your computor while you watch it. You don't even need the rod in your hand. Once you get the double haul figured out you should be able to hit between 60 and 80 feet pretty easily. If you do like my friend Bill who is a freak of nature, you will one day be able to break the 130' mark with a 5 wt. He learned it almost entirely by watching the videos he found on line. That and a rediculous amount of practice. This is a video that shows the double haul and learning the way I just mentioned;

Here is a guy who is seriously good at it. If your neck is still in good enough shape to watch your back cast and you want to get seriously far casts, watch your backcast. I can't remember how far he cast a three weight, but it was well over 100'. You should just work on busting the 60' mark for now.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
While 35 - 40 feet may be all you need on many Trout waters, it will likely fall short for many other species and waters.
+1 ........I've been doing alot of warm water fishing this summer for the first time in a few years. Pike, smallmouth, Largemouth etc. Bombing out 60 to 70 ft casts with large streamers and bugs is pretty much the norm while blind casting the rapids and large weedbeds of the rivers ive been fishing. Keep practicing and definately learn how to double haul. It will definately also help you on those windy days that knock down a 40 foot cast to a 20.
Guest1 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

That is a good distance you are hitting now. Dont get too hung up and trying to send rockets out there with your cast. They arent normally needed. That being said, learning to put a haul on your line will greatly help with distance. I can easily hit 90' with just a slight haul on my backcast with no wind.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

The acceptable distance is to wherever the fish are...
imxer, dean_mt and shotgunfly like this.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

During the coarse of the day today, I've written and not submitted this post 4 times.
I didn't want to be the heavy.

The truth is that on stream a cast of 25' to 45 feet is most often all that you'll ever need. But if you can't cast 60-65 feet in an open area with no pressure,... you need more practice.
I'm not talking a high end rod either. Any POS rod.... any size... that's the norm
Guest1 likes this.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi John.
A 40ft Cast is heaps to catch a Fish,possibly The Line isn't suited to The Rod,as we all know certain Rods perform better with certain Lines,however get on The Water Cast a Few Flies & undoubably you will catch Fish.
Brian.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road

Well, guys, I never expected so much response, but thanks to all who took the time.

I doubt I'll be fishing any streams, rather lakes for panfish and bass, and 40- 45 ft. seemed to me to be enough in most situations. I am practicing every opportunity I get, concentrating on accuracy, but still realize that sometimes a little more distance could be useful. I'm going to start paying more attention to my backcast, as I feel that's where my trouble lies. So Riptide, I will get more practice. Don't apologize for truth-if being the heavy is truth, so be it.

I will watch the videos, although I'm not interested in any world record "rocket shots", just getting the most practical distance out of my rod. I get your point, also, Axel.

Brian, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but how would a greenhorn, with no "expert" around to help, know if the line was unsuited to the rod? Experimentation with the cost of fly line would be cost prohibitive. I'm using a 9 ft. 5 wt. rod, which I believe to be medium action, with 5 wt. WF floating line. All of it White River from BassPro.

Thanks to all,

John

Patrick O’Brian