The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 3 For Bettering Your Cast

The interesting thing with casting is that everyone eventually develops their own style. Even with the top distance casters, what you see one doing can in some cases differ a lot with another. Rajeff vs. Hedman for instance. Once you have the basic skill set down, you can watch videos of others and experiment and find out what suits you best. In conclusion, watch videos of more than one person.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Chuckfluffer, first this is for beginners and beginners will often attempt to cast by sheer force. There is certainly some force needed by the caster, but "extra force" applied will not make a cast any better, until they learn how the rod works.

I don't know the stats on how much force is actually needed to cast, but my point here is that most beginners will attempt to overpower the cast instead of letting the rod do it's work. Overpowering can sometimes work with conventional tackle, and if a beginning fly caster has been casting such tackle, often they will have the same mindset.

I've seen Lefty Kreh cast an entire fly line with just the tip section of a 2 piece rod. Lefty is certainly not a beginner, but his demonstration proves very well that extra force is not needed.

Edit: Since I posted this, I've been told who you are! I'm not arguing with you, just attempting to clarify what I meant & why I tell beginners what I stated! I hope I've done that.
mcnerney and noreaster like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched my friend Bill cast well over 100' with the top half of a rod also. He even did it on one knee. However, he put a lot of line speed in it and has developed a style where he can do this. So has Chuckfluffer. He is one of the top casters on the planet.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Dan is right on, everyone has their own casting style. This is very important because when one is learning they should not over-try to make the "perfect" stroke - the old fashioned 10 to 2. You need to follow the guidelines and concentrate on the motion and form, yes, but you also have to stay loose enough to let your own casting stroke develop and let your rod help dictate that stroke.

So I say timing is everything, every novice caster I see or fish with is too fast i.e. they don't wait on the back cast. If you don't wait on the back cast you will never load the rod and never make a decent forward cast. After you get the feel of loading the rod then the stop! on the forward cast must be high and abrupt.

And don't be afraid to use your arm. Be comfortable. Don't tie the rod butt to your wrist or try to hold something against your body with your elbow. Those are very old-fashioned techniques that will limit you once you learn to cast. Try to double-haul with your elbow glued to your side!

Lefty actually teaches to move your lower arm with your stroke so that your elbow is sliding along a plane parallel to the ground.
morayflyfisher and noreaster like this.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I had a young fellow tell me at a local tackle show many years ago he needed casting help. I had him meet me at the community college which is near my house. His casting was so bad it looked like he was trying to beat a rug.

He was a converted surf & bass angler & was used to casting baitcasters & big surf rods.

Once I got him to understand what he needed to be doing, he picked it up very quickly.
noreaster likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

I think you might find this very interesting. It demomstrates pretty well that the double haul, line speed and form play as much a roll in casting that the rod does. Probably more. Like my friend Bill who casts unbelievably far and does it with a Cabelas Three Forks Rod.
noreaster and mridenour like this.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That's awesome, Dan! Mr. Miyagi meets Norwegian Left Kreh! He's laying out a 30' cast without a rod!

Not that I think Lefty is the end all, but he is a pretty good teacher. I just stumbled on his 3 tips...pretty interesting.

noreaster likes this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 10-19-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

There's a guy from LOOP that did a video where he does it with a 3wt. line and the reel taped to his elbow. He even catches and lands a fish in it.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

There are more than 3 top tips but if I had to choose:

Rule 1. Remove all slack line and start cast with rod tip pointed to the water or the lawn.

Beginners ALWAYS start with the rod level or angled up with slack in the fly line. This results in the casting motion removing the slack rather than moving the fly. The beginner then has to take the rod way back, with the arm fully extended in a windshield wiper motion to remove slack and move the fly. This result in a big loop and an under powered back cast that cannot the load the forward cast.

A low rod position with all slack removed allows a compact casting motion to cast the line.

Rule 2. The stroke is a smooooothhhhh increasing acceleration with the greatest acceleration just before the stop.

Beginners start too fast and end too slow. The optimized cast is just the opposite.

This smooth increasing acceleration optimally loads the fly rod without the dips that cause a tailing loop. The smooooth acceleration prevents waves in the fly line and does not "shock" the rod.

Rule 3. The stop must be sudden and hard.

Beginners end too slow. They slow down just before the stop and this robs energy from the cast because the unbending or straightening of the fly rod occurs over a longer distance and time and it widens the loop.

Emphasize the hard stop.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 10-22-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road

Hey bigjim, I'm nobody special, despite what Dan says . I do concentrate on the creation of a good loop with beginners. It doesn't have to be tight just good and I emphasis right from the start that there is no need for much force to create it. I would rather they used too little force and I had to get then to increase it slightly rather than too much. I do know where you are coming from though, I have used the expression 'let the rod do the work' often enough in an effort to get them to back off the macho stuff.

The grip is important to get right for the individual and some grips do restrict wrist flex more than others.

I find beginners tend to stare vacantly into space. I get them to focus on the loop and start to develop some hand/eye co-ordination.

Mike
bigjim5589 and noreaster like this.