The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 3 For Bettering Your Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfluffer View Post
Hey bigjim, I'm nobody special, despite what Dan says . Mike
And I'm a trained Spider Monkey!
Click the image to open in full size.
I must be getting old. My mustache is turning gray.

Mike, I just ordered a Barrio GT 125 line. Have you ever used one with heavier flies like Clousers?
fredaevans likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 10-24-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Ask Mike a question.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road

My last encounter with a clouser was quite painfull. I was ten feet above the water with trees close behind, my steeple cast went wrong and the damn thing richoched off the back of my head. Even with a cap on it was quite a thump, in fact I don't think I have ever been the same since.

Provided you have bought a heavier line. #7 or over, I don't see a problem. If you are using it at shortish range then the SLX might be worth a try as well.

I will bet you even money you will get a nice little hand written note from Mike with the line.

Mike
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just ordered the Orange 8 wt. I'm going to be using it on a rod with an ERN of 9.66. My intention is to put a clouser into some part of Canada,

My worst encounter with a Clouser was in my vice. I finished the fly and had it hook point up in the vice. I reached across the table to get another hook and jammed the barb into my forearm. I figured because it was attached to the vice and table, I could use that to just yank it back out. Oooohhhh nooooo, not so much. I picked the table up and the hook stayed fast. I then tried the fishing line thing, but on yourself and doing it wrong on top of it means the fly is still stuck. I then drove it throgh and smashed the barb. It still did not want to come out so I ended up cutting the barb off and ruining my fly. Most annoying.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:12 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I just ordered the Orange 8 wt. I'm going to be using it on a rod with an ERN of 9.66. My intention is to put a clouser into some part of Canada,

My worst encounter with a Clouser was in my vice. I finished the fly and had it hook point up in the vice. I reached across the table to get another hook and jammed the barb into my forearm. I figured because it was attached to the vice and table, I could use that to just yank it back out. Oooohhhh nooooo, not so much. I picked the table up and the hook stayed fast. I then tried the fishing line thing, but on yourself and doing it wrong on top of it means the fly is still stuck. I then drove it throgh and smashed the barb. It still did not want to come out so I ended up cutting the barb off and ruining my fly. Most annoying.
are you my twin? oh, btw, my wife and i just watched young frankenstein tuesday night on my birthday...our yearly ritual.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Ayup, I can attest to trying sheer force and it not working one iota. I got my fly rod and reel late last autumn and practiced as much as I could in the yard. I have to say, I always start out with force. I don't know why. (Well, I do know why. I think I am spincasting plus it still boggles my mind that even I can cast 30-feet with only a twitch.)

Never fails. I always start off horrible. Each and every time. Then I make a nice cast almost by mistake and then I finally wake up and start casting (more) right and things go better from there. Sometimes it still takes a while for me to realize just what the heck I am doing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Chuckfluffer, first this is for beginners and beginners will often attempt to cast by sheer force. There is certainly some force needed by the caster, but "extra force" applied will not make a cast any better, until they learn how the rod works.

I don't know the stats on how much force is actually needed to cast, but my point here is that most beginners will attempt to overpower the cast instead of letting the rod do it's work. Overpowering can sometimes work with conventional tackle, and if a beginning fly caster has been casting such tackle, often they will have the same mindset.

I've seen Lefty Kreh cast an entire fly line with just the tip section of a 2 piece rod. Lefty is certainly not a beginner, but his demonstration proves very well that extra force is not needed.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I just ordered the Orange 8 wt.
I just got the 8 wt. GT125 Barrio in the mail today. This was a first for me and fly lines, Not only did it make it half way around the planet in 5 days, which given where I live is nothing short of miraculous, but it came with a hand written letter from Mike Barrio! This is the second time I have had fly lines from Scotland. The First was Trevor Morgan's lines. Between this and Trevor's, I have become a fan of Scottish lines.

Quote:
I will bet you even money you will get a nice little hand written note from Mike with the line.

Mike
I did!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
The rod can only do one thing...straighten. It has been calculated, by better men than me, I might add, that the potential energy from the rod only accounts for less than 20% of the total energy needed to cast a flyline. That means that over 80% comes directly from the caster via leverage.
Mike
Here is what the 80% from the caster can do when you get rid of the rod altogether. This is the video I originally intended to post but couldn't find it again. Great video.

noreaster likes this.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:08 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I think I should sell all of my rods and start hand casting like this guy. I'm not kidding! This totally looks like it could be fun...
noreaster likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:28 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
I think I should sell all of my rods and start hand casting like this guy. I'm not kidding! This totally looks like it could be fun...
Kinda like hobo fly fishing, I like it. Good skill to have in the tool box.

Good way to develop your double haul technique.

Last edited by noreaster; 11-22-2012 at 06:19 AM.